Nordic Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nordic Uniform

A single uniform design (With National camo patterns) for Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland

Almost 500 soldiers from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden are being issued with sample Nordic Combat Uniform clothing for five months of field testing.

The Nordic Combat Uniform (NCU) project is now ready to enter the field-testing phase. Some 480 soldiers from all four Nordic countries will be testing the uniform systems from the final prequalified tenderers.  

The Nordic Combat Uniform system (NCU) is a cooperation among Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden with the goal of procuring a combat uniform system with accessories. 

Am I missing something or is this new uniform not dpm, I.e green?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The uniform design will remain the same for each under the proposal but they will have their own individual national camouflage patterns. All about the branding.

Comment

New common uniform design but each country to have own camo pattern

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          New common uniform design but each country to have own camo pattern
          Which is what I just said

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
            Which is what I just said
            Which is what I said in the first post

Comment

Something the DF could definitely have bought into, given our involvement with the Nordic battlegroup

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
                Something the DF could definitely have bought into, given our involvement with the Nordic battlegroup
                Definitely Why not miss an opportunity to mess up four other countries combat uniforms too
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

The Nordic Combat Uniform project has being running since 2016 and is coming to an end with the testing. If we had gotten in earlier then we could have made a "pigs dinner of it" but given the stage it is at now I doubt we could change much apart from add our own Camo.

Most likely someone who controlled the budgets back then took one look at the current kit from the involved partners and died of a heart-attack straight away!
                  The program is costing the four partner nations around $400m.

Comment

The arse fell out of the DF clothing budget around about the same time,and we have been playing catchup ever since. No way we were ever going into this project as that would have meant spending money.Money we didn't have. Also don't forget the very vocal lefty mob in this jurisdiction who would have seen,and probably still would,this as a move towards a "European Army"(Seriously),and we couldn't have that now could we what with being "Neutral" and all that.

Nope.Instead we take a fit for purpose uniform that needed a few minor tweaks and redesigned it completely instead with the primary focus being on keeping the budget down and the females happy. Cheers for that.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Nope.Instead we take a fit for purpose uniform that needed a few minor tweaks and redesigned it completely instead with the primary focus being on keeping the budget down and the females happy. Cheers for that.
                      And primarily focused on day to day barracks wear

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        And primarily focused on day to day barracks wear
                        I suppose you could argue that with the UBACS and the soon to be "Tactical" trousers then we will have both a field AND a Bks uniform.
                        But that's a cop out. The smock is primarily supposed to be in the field category but it seems to be optimised for Bks wear. I hope i am mistaken though.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The new smock looks like a mix of Barrack, smock and UBACS. Looks okay but seems terrible if you actually need a smock
                          Last edited by Fantasia; 19 November 2019, 08:20.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                            I suppose you could argue that with the UBACS and the soon to be "Tactical" trousers then we will have both a field AND a Bks uniform.
                            But that's a cop out. The smock is primarily supposed to be in the field category but it seems to be optimised for Bks wear. I hope i am mistaken though.
                            Which goes against the whole principle in the first place of DPM - to replace working dress and combat dress with a single modular uniform

Comment

Being devils advocate here, and giving a stream of argumentative thought that I don't 100% agree with myself, but anyway.

We seem to have two conflicting ideologies in the DF, the barrack based, parade focus that seems to occupy the minds of those who make decisions on uniform modification, and the tactical/functional requirements of the troops on the ground. We also have the cost associated with the replacement of DPM uniforms that are washed, ironed and used in parade to within an inch of their lives, and in the recent example of new nubuck leather boots being polished for parade. These are conflicting ideologies that do not appear to have a resolution that is acceptable to the other.

Is it time that we go back to having a separate Barracks and Tactical uniform. Barracks being Trousers, Shirt, cold weather Jumper and black boots that could be ironed and polished to the joy of any CO or BSM, and a separate tactical uniform with UBACs, Ranger Trousers, a functional Smock and nubuck leather boots that would be just for tactical and operational wear.

If we don't go down this path, we're going to continue to have some bastardised mutt of a uniform that does neither job well. The other option of course is that the boards that make the call on uniform see sense, but I don't think that is likely to happen in this century.
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X