Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like

Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme

Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme 2020–2025

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https:/...e7b.pdf#page=1

2. Thanks DeV, EUFighter, Shaqra, Tempest, B Inman, sofa, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, EUFighter, GoneToTheCanner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme 2020–2025

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https:/...e7b.pdf#page=1
    Interesting to see there will be a new 140m jetty.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    is Bricins moving ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Refurbishment of Block 8 and 9 will also be interesting, from an architectural viewpoint, given their age and condition. Long overdue though.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

7. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have been talking about that for the past 15 years, maybe it is actually happening

9. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    is Bricins moving ?
    Proposed

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the report is reactive maintenance to prevent the complete loss of buildings due to neglect.

2025 is still too late for most of the works as they are needed 10 years ago.

There is little to SFA imagination and vision in this report.

Refurbish USAC (equivalent of painting it and some insulation)
    Refurbish Block this, block that.

The Defence Forces need MODERN accommodation facilities akin to UCD/UL on campus student apartments.

MODERN multistory office block like buildings with reconfigurable partitions to suit changing needs. Class rooms, auditoriums, Army “hanger” spaces etc etc etc.

I’ll bet the cadets and NCOs in the military college are still trying to wash their boots and kit in the gutters under a single outside tap.

12. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post

This may be the extension to the Oil Wharf project.

I would imagine in order to berth the MRV.
    Last edited by A/TEL; 16th January 2020 at 23:05.

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    The programme and the monies envisaged give the impression that this will be a bare bones project. Other than Block 8 refurbishment most Naval base projects are deferred to 2022. Operationally one would imagine that Comcen , Fire damage, and additional berthage would be an urgent matter. Our GPD for 2019 will top E200bn and even as a once off gesture an expenditure of E4Bn would only meet Western Standards for one year. I hope they intend to re-establish the Graving Dock and build a safe 140 metre berth. The Oil Base berthage has an inbuilt hazard of being an area of flammable products. The paucity of conditions throughout the PDF is reflected in the number of dining halls that need upgrading, including kitchens. The 17% reduction in energy costs in the PDF is mainly a function of fewer places to heat and light with closures of Barracks, Hospitals, and Brigades.

15. Likes EUFighter, TangoSierra, trellheim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Graving Dock is going to be used for berthage

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the comcen mentioned is the former comcen that was destroyed by fire last year? It is next to the current cadet accommodation and I think the plan is to re purpose the building as cadet accommodation.

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    An act of vandalism on a precious asset.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    So who's going to break the bad news to the yacht owners . I'm curious to known what the water depth in the Graving Dock is at low tide .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    So who's going to break the bad news to the yacht owners . I'm curious to known what the water depth in the Graving Dock is at low tide .
    The depth in the basin and the graving dock, all gates open, should be in the region of 4.5metres with brown muddy water at LWS. If it was cleaned and hoovered out by suction it could reach 4.8metres. However nobody manoeuvres at LWS rather Neaps and /or half flood. The Graving dock depth is not important as ships would enter at near HW or a depth that allows safe entry over the blocks. The corvettes at 15ft 6inches manoeuvred safely but would sit in mud at LWS. Basin needs a two yearly clean but only gets done at historic intervals to save money. From DOD drawings office, it seems the basin is tiled and cannot be deepened beyond the founding dockyard depth. That must be taken into consideration for the MRV at LWS.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 17th January 2020 at 19:06.

21. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I think the comcen mentioned is the former comcen that was destroyed by fire last year? It is next to the current cadet accommodation and I think the plan is to re purpose the building as cadet accommodation.

No the ComCen was not located there.

The building that went on fire was the former Ops building.

Housed Naval Operations and Shore Operations before Block 6 was refurbished.
    Last edited by A/TEL; 17th January 2020 at 20:29.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    My apologies, I visited the old comcen before it moved and I thought they were in the same place.
    Back when it was perfectly normal to bring large crowds of kids to all parts of the naval base. The VS tower was manned round the clock back then too. We spent a lot of time playing with the pom-pom and the Corvette gun that now guards the square which were then in the gunnery bay. We all got put into the decompression chamber too, and left in the inner chamber for a few minutes....there was a gate at the arch opposite the dining hall too. Which was locked at all times.
    Is the comcen still based in a steel shed type building ?
    My more recent visits never took me up that way, apart from a short of breath climb to the martello tower with HPT.
    Last edited by na grohmiti; 17th January 2020 at 23:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    New gym in Stephens Barracks is flying up. They were even working on the structure on Christmas Eve! I'd say it'll be finished come April.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

25. Thanks DeV, sofa, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upgrade of No.8 &9 Block Haulbowline and construction of one new Block/Upgrade of No. 1 Block at Collins Barracks, €12.6 million
    UCD was able to engage a construction company to complete a 300 bed student accommodation block of apartments for €18million and have it delivers within 17months. Works out at €60k a room.

http://www.collen.com/Residential_Su...esidences.aspx

Yet for some reason the DoD/DF take 5 years to deliver less than 100 beds in dormitory style rooms in buildings and a location that no one wants to live in.

Please whoever is managing this project in the DoD/DF : get out of the way and let the professionals do the work.

Fast track construction of a 5/6 storey, 300 bed student accommodation facility including site development works within the existing UCD university campus. A key factor in the decision to appoint Collen Construction was our ability to reduce the programme by five months by incorporating a permanent formwork structural frame system. The 8000m2 frame/floor structure was constructed in a 14 week programme, including the installation of 330 bathroom pod units within 50 apartments. The facility was constructed within a tight programme to facilitate the registration of students due to commence studies on the campus the following year. The project was delivered on schedule, on budget and met all the clients environmental and social requirements.

27. Likes sofa, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    UCD was able to engage a construction company to complete a 300 bed student accommodation block of apartments for €18million and have it delivers within 17months. Works out at €60k a room.

http://www.collen.com/Residential_Su...esidences.aspx

Yet for some reason the DoD/DF take 5 years to deliver less than 100 beds in dormitory style rooms in buildings and a location that no one wants to live in.

Please whoever is managing this project in the DoD/DF : get out of the way and let the professionals do the work.
    Refurbishment -v- new build

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surely there are Reservist with the skill sets who could design the building.

30. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Refurbishment -v- new build
    Exactly. Stay the hell away from doing refurbishment in a poor not fit for purpose old building. Not as if the DF are short of space!

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batterysgt View Post
    For €18million or even €12million, they’ll have to tender like everyone else. What suitably qualified personnel could help with is reviewing tenders.

Any civil engineering construction over €300,000 needs professional full time construction professionals. It’s now come to a point where the DF themselves are hampering suitable development

33. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is going to retain and recruit more?

A. A new MRV and a bunch of PC12s

or

B. Suitable subsidized accommodation for both SLI and MLI?

It should be both but if a choice is to be made then our people should get priority over shiny kit linked to promotion projects

35. Likes DeV liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes there are, with the right degree and experience, and in the correct Corps , it is not the reservists fault that they are not utilized for this, it is ideal project work.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

37. Likes DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    For €18million or even €12million, they’ll have to tender like everyone else. What suitably qualified personnel could help with is reviewing tenders.

Any civil engineering construction over €300,000 needs professional full time construction professionals. It’s now come to a point where the DF themselves are hampering suitable development
    That only becomes an issue if you award their business a contract.... they are skills organic to the DF (via the RDF)

Mandays

39. Likes Truck Driver, EUFighter liked this post

Thread Information