No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7months in. In twelve months time the DF could have been living in modern accomodation for 300 people

That is if the DoD/DF had realised that for this type of development you need to hire professional construction experts to do the work for you. But as usual its lumped on the Corps of Engineers who don't have the people, time or expertise or experience for this scale project. Or if they said they could do it, they're completely bluffing.

Comment

The project involved the construction of a 450 room student residence incorporating a 25m swimming pool together with a basement car park and associated external works. A noteworthy aspect of the development was the extensive use of prefabricated structural and services units which helped to keep the programme on time and within budget. The building superstructure was built using an in situ concrete frame (flat slab construction), with external precast panels. This resulted in a much shorter programme time than the originally envisaged blockwork as well as reducing quality control issues associated with wet trades onsite.

Project Details
      Client: Dublin City University
      Category: Education
      Size: 15,000m2
      Architect: Anthony Reddy & Associates
      Surveyor: Healy Kelly Turner Townsend
      Timeframe: 18 Months
      Cost: €36 Million

Comment

My guess is a few months per man. So it's most likely a none runner in the first place.
        why ? if Dept approve you are good to go
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
          http://www.bennettconstruction.com/p...20%20&%20Pool)

The project involved the construction of a 450 room student residence incorporating a 25m swimming pool together with a basement car park and associated external works. A noteworthy aspect of the development was the extensive use of prefabricated structural and services units which helped to keep the programme on time and within budget. The building superstructure was built using an in situ concrete frame (flat slab construction), with external precast panels. This resulted in a much shorter programme time than the originally envisaged blockwork as well as reducing quality control issues associated with wet trades onsite.

Project Details
          Client: Dublin City University
          Category: Education
          Size: 15,000m2
          Architect: Anthony Reddy & Associates
          Surveyor: Healy Kelly Turner Townsend
          Timeframe: 18 Months
          Cost: €36 Million
          Maybe I reading it wrong but it sounds like that project was a glorified fitout construction project, with the Groundwork and concrete core & frame structure done by someone else earlier?

If that's the case what was the time frame for the ground works and the core & frame phase of the project?
          How long did it take to get the Project Designed and for it to get Planning Permission?
          Add all that up then I wouldn't be surprised if that 18 months turn into 3/4 Years.
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            why ? if Dept approve you are good to go
            My point is not the dept, it's the time we could get from our employer. I dont know of any engineer that could give up his or her holidays to do such a project. That's my point.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
              My point is not the dept, it's the time we could get from our employer. I dont know of any engineer that could give up his or her holidays to do such a project. That's my point.
              Weekends?

Comment

I really can't see it being realistic for a reservist.

There would be plenty of meetings to attend and it is likely that not many or any could be facilitated at the weekend.

Also remuneration wise - why would a corporal who is also an engineer give up his/her weekend for 2/7 of a week's pay?

Could never see it being acceptable for professional work like this.
                Last edited by Auldsod; 25 February 2020, 16:49.

Comment

The professional association might have numerous issues too.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
                    Maybe I reading it wrong but it sounds like that project was a glorified fitout construction project, with the Groundwork and concrete core & frame structure done by someone else earlier?

If that's the case what was the time frame for the ground works and the core & frame phase of the project?
                    How long did it take to get the Project Designed and for it to get Planning Permission?
                    Add all that up then I wouldn't be surprised if that 18 months turn into 3/4 Years.
                    A €43 million contract for the development of a 296 bed student residence was signed earlier today by BAM Ireland and Global Student Accommodation (GSA), and is expected to be completed by September 2018. The residence, Uninest Mill II, will be located in Merchants Quay alongside another 400 bed student residence constructed by GSA. That […]

Planning permission received July 2016
                    Contract signed May 2017
                    Completion Sept 2018

Complete construction time 16months

Comment

The Defence Forces are also exempt from planning permission.

“The new regulations make no change to the exemptions applying since 1991 in relation to Central Government. Those exemptions are moderately complex and might be summarized as follows:- buildings or works used by the Garda, the Defence Forces, a courthouse, a building used in connection with:- the Oireachtas; the Departments of the Taoiseach, Defence, Foreign Affairs and Justice, Equality and Law Reform; the Offices of the Tanaiste, Attorney General, Chief State Solicitor and Director of Public Prosecutions; or where works are for reasons of national security within the curtilage of any building occupied or controlled by a State authority, or the residence of a present or former holder of public office, or of any present or former public servant.

Other buildings and works for Central Government, including in connection with other Government Departments or public offices, continue to be subject to the building control regulations.”

86. (1) In accordance with section 181(1)(a) of the Act, the provisions of the Act shall not apply to the following classes of development: (a) development consisting of the provision of—

(iv) barracks or other buildings, or other premises or installations (including airfields and naval yards), or other structures or facilities, used for the purposes of or in connection with the operations of the Defence Forces,

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                        http://trinitynews.ie/2017/05/296-be...cted-for-2018/

Planning permission received July 2016
                        Contract signed May 2017
                        Completion Sept 2018

Complete construction time 16months
                        Where they working 24/7? Last Construction job I was on before I Left the industry a few years ago was a residential project, which included 2 multistorey blocks over a two level basement car park, and from Ground Works to Residents Moving in was 3.5 years.
                        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Residential was wet trades and probably individual options for apartments

Student accommodation as well as hotels will use room pods pre built off site

Find out more about our work on this modular student accommodation scheme in the heart of Central London, in which we delivered 200 studio room pods - manufactured offsite in our factory and fitted with underfloor heating systems to ensure maximum energy efficiency.

“175 studio rooms with enclosed kitchen and Ensuite- The rooms were manufactured over a factory period of seven weeks, with on-site installation taking just under eight weeks.”
                          Last edited by TangoSierra; 25 February 2020, 23:16.

Comment

Also remuneration wise - why would a corporal who is also an engineer give up his/her weekend for 2/7 of a week's pay?

Could never see it being acceptable for professional work like this.
                            Well then dont join the reserve then. What do you think we do here ?
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              Well then dont join the reserve then. What do you think we do here ?
                              Tetchy. I just don't think it's practical for a project of this scale. Better managed by someone full time in the DF or someone contracted in to do it FT.

We can just differ on this one. I just believe there are roles a reservist can efficiently complete and others they can't...

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                                Tetchy. I just don't think it's practical for a project of this scale. Better managed by someone contracted in to do it FT who know what they’re doing and aren’t rotated overseas or to a new unit every 8 months
                                Fixed for you

Comment

Working...
                                X