• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme

Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme 2020–2025

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
    Defence Forces Built Infrastructure Programme 2020–2025

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https:/...e7b.pdf#page=1
    Interesting to see there will be a new 140m jetty.

Comment

is Bricins moving ?
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
        Refurbishment of Block 8 and 9 will also be interesting, from an architectural viewpoint, given their age and condition. Long overdue though.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

They have been talking about that for the past 15 years, maybe it is actually happening

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            is Bricins moving ?
            Proposed

Comment

Most of the report is reactive maintenance to prevent the complete loss of buildings due to neglect.

2025 is still too late for most of the works as they are needed 10 years ago.

There is little to SFA imagination and vision in this report.

Refurbish USAC (equivalent of painting it and some insulation)
              Refurbish Block this, block that.

The Defence Forces need MODERN accommodation facilities akin to UCD/UL on campus student apartments.

MODERN multistory office block like buildings with reconfigurable partitions to suit changing needs. Class rooms, auditoriums, Army “hanger” spaces etc etc etc.

I’ll bet the cadets and NCOs in the military college are still trying to wash their boots and kit in the gutters under a single outside tap.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post

This may be the extension to the Oil Wharf project.

I would imagine in order to berth the MRV.
                Last edited by A/TEL; 17 January 2020, 00:05.

Comment

The programme and the monies envisaged give the impression that this will be a bare bones project. Other than Block 8 refurbishment most Naval base projects are deferred to 2022. Operationally one would imagine that Comcen , Fire damage, and additional berthage would be an urgent matter. Our GPD for 2019 will top E200bn and even as a once off gesture an expenditure of E4Bn would only meet Western Standards for one year. I hope they intend to re-establish the Graving Dock and build a safe 140 metre berth. The Oil Base berthage has an inbuilt hazard of being an area of flammable products. The paucity of conditions throughout the PDF is reflected in the number of dining halls that need upgrading, including kitchens. The 17% reduction in energy costs in the PDF is mainly a function of fewer places to heat and light with closures of Barracks, Hospitals, and Brigades.

Comment

The Graving Dock is going to be used for berthage

Comment

I think the comcen mentioned is the former comcen that was destroyed by fire last year? It is next to the current cadet accommodation and I think the plan is to re purpose the building as cadet accommodation.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        An act of vandalism on a precious asset.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          So who's going to break the bad news to the yacht owners . I'm curious to known what the water depth in the Graving Dock is at low tide .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                            So who's going to break the bad news to the yacht owners . I'm curious to known what the water depth in the Graving Dock is at low tide .
                            The depth in the basin and the graving dock, all gates open, should be in the region of 4.5metres with brown muddy water at LWS. If it was cleaned and hoovered out by suction it could reach 4.8metres. However nobody manoeuvres at LWS rather Neaps and /or half flood. The Graving dock depth is not important as ships would enter at near HW or a depth that allows safe entry over the blocks. The corvettes at 15ft 6inches manoeuvred safely but would sit in mud at LWS. Basin needs a two yearly clean but only gets done at historic intervals to save money. From DOD drawings office, it seems the basin is tiled and cannot be deepened beyond the founding dockyard depth. That must be taken into consideration for the MRV at LWS.
                            Last edited by ancientmariner; 17 January 2020, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              I think the comcen mentioned is the former comcen that was destroyed by fire last year? It is next to the current cadet accommodation and I think the plan is to re purpose the building as cadet accommodation.

No the ComCen was not located there.

The building that went on fire was the former Ops building.

Housed Naval Operations and Shore Operations before Block 6 was refurbished.
                              Last edited by A/TEL; 17 January 2020, 21:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X