No announcement yet.

Restoration of RDF pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the start of 2016 or end of 2016 for the repayment? Just checked accounts there now, nought!

It's going to be a small amount anyway due but still be nice to get it.

Comment

• I really think there is a big shift in culture underway at the DoD. Hopefully it’s not snuffed out.
      I really doubt it. The Department could fix all that is wrong without a commission, immediately. Take the above example - RDF pay; deduction with no legal backing and no consultation as per Haddington Road. Any backdating of this ? No. Why ? PDF are covered by FEMPI and their rates are set there ( not in S3 or at least weren't a couple of months ago when I looked last ) , ours are not, not even by reference
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
        From the start of 2016 or end of 2016 for the repayment? Just checked accounts there now, nought!

It would have been a set date in 2016 so mandays after that date should have been at that rate (not backdated)

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
          From the start of 2016 or end of 2016 for the repayment? Just checked accounts there now, nought!

The relevant PDF pay increases took place on the following dates:
          01-Jan-16 (Cpl & L/S only)
          01-Apr-17
          01-Jan-18
          01-Oct-18
          01-Jan-19
          01-Sep-19
          01-Jan-20
          01-Oct-20
          01-Jan-21

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
            I can understand your pessimism about the possibility of any improvements to PDF pay and conditions being down the line and but I genuinely hope this commission leads to some movement where it's deserved most.

I do however believe the suggestion that the movement on pay was for fear of RDF withdrawing labour is pure fantasy. I doubt most who assisted in 2020 and are still assisting this year are too worried about what's on their pay slips. You don't join the reserve to make money and I'm sure many wouldn't have cared if they had received nothing for some of the mandays put down...
            1/ If you honestly believe that that is not the way the DoD Operate than I put it to you that YOU are the one indulging in Fantasy. The DoD do not do ANYTHING that is cost increasing unless the have a gun put to their heads.Fact.

2/ You have obviously not been reading any of my more recent posts on the help the AR has given to the PDF if you think that is what I am implying.I am saying that is what the Civil servants (probably) think.Not what we do.

Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
            I really think there is a big shift in culture underway at the DoD. Hopefully it’s not snuffed out.
            And I am the next Chief of Staff of 100,000 strong DF,with 2 Aircraft carriers, a fleet of MBTs and laser rifles for all Seriously??
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
              1/ If you honestly believe that that is not the way the DoD Operate than I put it to you that YOU are the one indulging in Fantasy. The DoD do not do ANYTHING that is cost increasing unless the have a gun put to their heads.Fact.

2/ You have obviously not been reading any of my more recent posts on the help the AR has given to the PDF if you think that is what I am implying.I am saying that is what the Civil servants (probably) think.Not what we do.

And I am the next Chief of Staff of 100,000 strong DF,with 2 Aircraft carriers, a fleet of MBTs and laser rifles for all Seriously??
              And I agree with this comment from apod. Restoring a cut which had no basis in law, fixing a pay discrepancy because someone didn't know how to use Excel; these are all crumbs for the peasants. The DOD do nothing unless forced against their will. The commission is only to kick to touch.

Comment

• That's true if the DOD was altruistic it would have corrected the pay error once it was pointed out to them. But no they had to dragged kicking and screaming to the table

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

I'm not suggesting that's what your opinion of the RDF was and I indeed read and appreciated your comments on how the AR has been assisting the PDF since the crisis started.

I've never had to deal with a DoD civil servant but I'm assuming you have. Put it down to naivity on my part.

Two friends of mine have relatively senior roles within two high profile government departments. They have nothing but dedictation for their departments' roles and they take their responsibilities seriously. I've discussed what I've learned of the DoD (primarily from on here) and they are incredulous with how they manage themselves and the DF with an almost adversarial relationship. I guess I just find the DoD's behaviour bizarre as I've never experienced directly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                    I'm not suggesting that's what your opinion of the RDF was and I indeed read and appreciated your comments on how the AR has been assisting the PDF since the crisis started.

I've never had to deal with a DoD civil servant but I'm assuming you have. Put it down to naivity on my part.

Two friends of mine have relatively senior roles within two high profile government departments. They have nothing but dedictation for their departments' roles and they take their responsibilities seriously. I've discussed what I've learned of the DoD (primarily from on here) and they are incredulous with how they manage themselves and the DF with an almost adversarial relationship. I guess I just find the DoD's behaviour bizarre as I've never experienced directly.
                    Plenty of former Service personnel were subjected to FEMPI and had the equivalent of a full years pension taken from them over a 10 year period, between 2010 and 2020. It was taken in one fell swoop and restored in 25% tranches and was seen by some DOD logic as almost a pay rise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      That's true if the DOD was altruistic it would have corrected the pay error once it was pointed out to them. But no they had to dragged kicking and screaming to the table
                      That was certainly the case when the matter was first raised with the former minister and (more importantly) the former Secretary General. The matter was quickly dealt with by the new office holders. I sense a change in culture but it’s too early to know for sure. I’ve been wrong about lots of things and I’m conscious of how badly these posts might age.

Comment

• That was certainly the case when the matter was first raised with the former minister and (more importantly) the former Secretary General. The matter was quickly dealt with by the new office holders. I sense a change in culture but it’s too early to know for sure. I’ve been wrong about lots of things and I’m conscious of how badly these posts might age.
                        Simon Coveney was a previous minister.

Jacqui McCrum was appointed in August 2020 and has had 5 months.

Hardly "Quick".

Comment

• Well 5 months is positively meteoric in DOD terms

Comment

• Well 5 months is positively meteoric in DOD terms
                            I suppose you've more experience with DOD than I do

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              Simon Coveney was a previous minister.

Jacqui McCrum was appointed in August 2020 and has had 5 months.

Hardly "Quick".
                              The Secretary General comes from a caring/teaching background with fiscal overtones. She may be exactly what is required by all of us.

Comment

• The Secretary General comes from a caring/teaching background with fiscal overtones
                                ? So exactly what is required for DOD ? lol /s

Comment

Working...
                                X