Restoration of RDF pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    Of course we don't get paid more. The RDF never will and never should receive MSA. I will strongly disagree with anyone who suggests otherwise.

I'm not too worried about the increments side of things personally. An increment should be received after a year's FT equivalent of paid man days has been achieved - not simply a year's service. If we did receive increments, even the most dedicated RDF member with 20 plus years service would barely make it up a few levels on the scale (don't forget they go back to point one when promoted). Receiving credit for non paid days and time spent would be key. Anyway, we're not entitled to increments.

When it comes to the PDF. It's perception and not the reality. The feedback I have received from junior NS ranks is that the NSR gets paid more per day spent at sea. This isn't reality at all but is a widely held belief. Positive news such as the above can unfortunately reinforce these myths.
    Ask them do they immediately lose 42% to PAYE alone?

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      We dont get MSA and a bunch of other allowances so hold your horses there. Also no increments.
      I'm fully aware of what RDF members get paid and that we dont get MSA or anything else. MSA is not part of core pay for PDF, it's an allowance.
      What I am saying, should there be no legal background to have enforce the pay cuts we got, would should opening go after them. I know of Reservists who have year after year given more than 40 days a year. And most senior lads I know in RDFRA get about 20days a year in addition to their fulltime training. That's a lot of legal pay members are missing.

Comment

• Does anyone know what the civil defence gets paid, maybe we should look at them for a comparison. They must have some common training (not including weapons), 1st aid and driving come to mind and they surely get paid for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Ask them do they immediately lose 42% to PAYE alone?
          Ah but that's due to our own personal circumstances. We choose to do this and another job.

Also, if you were a student, it could easily be just over 20%

I actually pay 48% on every RDF pay slip (40% income tax and 8% USC).

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
          Does anyone know what the civil defence gets paid, maybe we should look at them for a comparison. They must have some common training (not including weapons), 1st aid and driving come to mind and they surely get paid for it.
          Most Civil Defence members are unpaid. From their 2019 report.

'As of 31 May 2019, Civil Defence has 3,520 volunteer members organised into 29 units throughout
          Ireland. Volunteers are unpaid, except for those volunteers who have been trained as instructors and
          train local members'.

Comment

I would suggest forgetting that aspect (nobody in RDF actually noticed the discrepancy over all those years anyway) and focusing instead on.....
            Auldsod, It was noticed, and complained about and representation made....but there is a difference between not noticing and knowing that there is nothing you can do about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
              Does anyone know what the civil defence gets paid, maybe we should look at them for a comparison. They must have some common training (not including weapons), 1st aid and driving come to mind and they surely get paid for it.
              Practically all is unpaid. The CDO (approx 1 per county) is normally a full time paid position

In the day to day management of Civil Defence training and operations at local authority level the CDO is assisted by a key team of Instructors, qualified in a range of disciplines, and who do so on a voluntary basis. Apart from the payment of expenses for travel and subsistence, in certain circumstances, Civil Defence Volunteers do not receive any emolument for making themselves available for training, exercises or operations.
              Overview of the Irish Civil Defence Structure and Dublin Services.

Comment

Ah but that's due to our own personal circumstances. We choose to do this and another job.

Also, if you were a student, it could easily be just over 20%

I actually pay 48% on every RDF pay slip (40% income tax and 8% USC).
                And PRSI (that is next to worthless as it given you little entitlement to sick leave).

No we don’t have to pay the pension levy (but we cannot qualify for one even with 40+ years service). Right so IMHO BTW.

The only way RDF get paid more than PDF is if you look at the RDF basic gross (ignoring personal circumstances) -v- PDF Net (taking into account personal circumstances) .. apples and oranges

Comment

• Maybe we should model ourselves on the civil defence ???? SIC2 qualified and ranks above Sgt get paid and the rest is voluntary.
                  Last edited by batterysgt; 3 February 2020, 18:35.

Comment

Maybe we should model ourselves on the civil defence ???? SIC2 qualified and ranks above Sgt get paid and the rest is voluntary.
                    Do you work for DoD?

Comment

Do you work for DoD?
                      Yes

Comment

Maybe we should model ourselves on the civil defence ???? SIC2 qualified and ranks above Sgt get paid and the rest is voluntary.
                        Change that to Cpl and above and most will still get paid in some units!

Comment

• Sic2 is open to all ranks from cpl and above.
                          Last edited by batterysgt; 4 February 2020, 08:24.

Comment

Do you work for DoD?
                            what
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              what
                              Wanting all private’s to be unpaid

Comment