Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Lesson - Protection of Reservists employment rights existed back in 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remind m, what is the Taoiseach's profession again?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

It annoys me that so many people will be expected to step up, work extra for free and get a pat on the back for taking the risks yet GPs' union is creeping in the backdoor and sticking in the invoice ahead of time...

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        It annoys me that so many people will be expected to step up, work extra for free and get a pat on the back for taking the risks yet GPs' union is creeping in the backdoor and sticking in the invoice ahead of time...
        Never underestimate the self-interest of the medical profession (I worked with them for too long!).

If you want to see the extreme example, you need look no further than the USA. (But I digress...)
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

As this evening's news has shown, when the Govt wants cooperation, it can throw money at the problem when it suits them. The GPs will get 30 quid to answer each C-19 phonecall and 75 if they actually deal with a C-19 affected person. Clearly, the GPs representatives have used the occasion to twist the arm of the Govt to make sure their mates get paid up front. Reservists haven't got a chance....
          The government will have to throw money at this problem and unfortunately may have to do so as to ensure the co-operation of certain actors in this crisis.

Just because the government will be throwing vast sums at this crisis, it doesn't mean that they have been holding back on us and serious resources were always there.

Any economic stimulus or temporary extreme additional funding for health will have a long term impact. There will be serious pain from the economic contraction and increased borrowing that will be felt for many years to come like after 2008. The bogieman this time will just be a virus and not the banks, developers, etc.

I've heard a lot of nonsense over the last 24 hours, like 'we need to take the apple money'.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
            The government will have to throw money at this problem and unfortunately may have to do so as to ensure the co-operation of certain actors in this crisis.

Just because the government will be throwing vast sums at this crisis, it doesn't mean that they have been holding back on us and serious resources were always there.

Any economic stimulus or temporary extreme additional funding for health will have a long term impact. There will be serious pain from the economic contraction and increased borrowing that will be felt for many years to come like after 2008. The bogieman this time will just be a virus and not the banks, developers, etc.

I've heard a lot of nonsense over the last 24 hours, like 'we need to take the apple money'.
            I was disappointed to hear a National address littered with Churchillian phraseology and references to an American comic book character, and that more needed equipment was on it's way. It has to mean, that we are not ready, despite knowing the Virus was on it's way since January or even earlier. Certain elements, will make financial gains and gorge on the carrots and the rest will get plenty of the stick. They talked about curing housing, homelessness, flooding with snail like outcomes, let's hope this isn't another talked about solution

Comment

Lads please discuss the topic. Covid should be in its own thread, thanks
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

As this evening's news has shown, when the Govt wants cooperation, it can throw money at the problem when it suits them. The GPs will get 30 quid to answer each C-19 phonecall and 75 if they actually deal with a C-19 affected person. Clearly, the GPs representatives have used the occasion to twist the arm of the Govt to make sure their mates get paid up front. Reservists haven't got a chance....
                The GPs are behaving like war time spives

Comment

I dont think that we are approaching this correctly at all with the attitude towards GPs and the medical profession.

There's a barrel of money intended to ensure we can fight off COVID 19 and jealousy because GPs are better organised than the RDF at dealing with Govt with a heavier hand -unionised etc is divisive.

We shouldnt be making this a divisive issue, the Depts work with divide and conquer approaches to everything... Many GPs are on the front line in their communities, we all know that GP practices were already overrun and swamped before COVID happened, theres a massive lack of GPs nationwide to begin with and dont forget that many of those practices, especially in rural ireland, employ many people, they have zero footfall now so need some sort of business model to keep people employed.

The remote triage fee for Covid-19 for eligible medical card patients, and private patients, has been set at €34. The fee for “non-Covid-19” remote consultations for GMS and other eligible medical card patients has been agreed at €25. 34 euro is also a deterrent from some of the crap calls that GPs have had to put up with since this started "Eh, just calling to say Ive a cold and to see does this mean I cant go on me mates stag" etc. Meanwhile phone lines are jammed with actual patients etc who need help. Medical cards and private insurance holders will get remunerated too AFAIK.

The problem here is that - Yes we signed up to this and yes we should obligate that - but, to the best of our ability - each to their OWN ability.

My company pays the mortgage, i'm also currently healthy in full time employment, the Dept wont pay my mortgage and to be honest, if I contract COVID19 whilst out there i'm pretty sure that I wont have the same illness benefits that my company will provide, will my own healthcare even cover it?

Its disingenuous to say - bo!!ix to that, you signed up , out you go. We have been asking for years for empty suits like Keogh and his ilk and the gombeens running the department to help us out with employment protection and proper healthcare provision for injuries attained during full time training or whilst carrying out a duty. Other EU states do it for their reservists, why not ours?

As far as Im concerned, Ill make my own decision thank you, Ill probably be a muppet and go as my company recognises military service to a small degree, but I also believe that the Dept owes current reservists and the legacy of hundreds of thousands that have gone before them, a recognition of what they offer with a simple couple of paragraphs in the legislature protecting their livelihoods and families and equal rights to our hard pressed PDF counterparts regarding healthcare access etc. I wouldnt look down on anyone who stays at home and protects themselves and their families, if there were employment protection etc, id be the first to drive them out of their homes at the end of a cattle prod.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Update. The above act existed in 1941. The Defence Act 1954 removed it. Here was their reasoning ( learn something new every day, this took a LOT of deep reading to find )

( Second Stage Debate on the 1954 Act )

Death of President of Iceland. - Defence Bill, 1951—Second Stage. Dáil Éireann debate - Wednesday, 30 Jan 1952

The present Bill contains those provisions of the existing Acts which are considered suitable for permanent legislation, but amendments have been made as necessary to effect improvements. The Bill also includes a considerable number of new provisions giving additional powers for defence purposes and affording further safeguards for members of the Defence Forces. Certain of the provisions enacted during the emergency have been omitted, the intention being to reserve them for emergency legislation if the necessity for such legislation should arise at any time. The principal omissions are the provisions in relation to the precedence of military traffic on transport undertakings during an emergency; the adaptation of the plant of such undertakings to enable military requirements to be met, and the provisions regarding the restoration of civilian employment at the end of an emergency of members of the Reserve called out on permanent service and personnel commissioned or enlisted for the duration of the emergency.
                    Can't think of a better time to be honest. If any of you are reading this have any power to do so, why not show this to people who can put legislation forward.
                    Last edited by trellheim; 25 March 2020, 12:28.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I have sent this to my company Commander and asked that its put forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X