No announcement yet.

Amendments to the Defence Act for Covid Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not aware of anything that sets out any punishment or measures that can be taken if someone fails to parade in such circumstances?
    Not as far as I can tell that is directly codified in R5.

However if such happened, by definition you are subject to military law, as you stand called out and subject to the same ranges of punishment as any PDF man for not turning up/on parade when ordered ; there's any range of things you could do.

(R1 and R2 get around this neatly, but R5 has nothing like it )
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Section 243 of the Act refers:

“When a reservist is called out for training or on permanent service or in aid to the civil power.... without leave granted or such sickness or other reasonable excuse.... fails to appear .... (a) if he is called out on permanent service or in aid to the civil power such reservist shall be guilty, according to the circumstances, of desertion action or absence without leave...”

Leaving them liable to either
      Section 243(2)(a) court-martial and according punishment, or
      Section 243(2)(b) summary trial by District Court and fine of up to €2,000

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        I know. In a time of almost 100% employment, there will be queues at the barrack gate...
        Nearly 500 former members of the Defence Forces have applied to rejoin the military to aid the fight against Covid-19.

Comment

Sounds like a failure to me. 600 applicants, how many are still suitable. If the similar appeal by the health sector is anything to go by, 72000 applicants, barely 60 recruited.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Sounds like a failure to me. 600 applicants, how many are still suitable. If the similar appeal by the health sector is anything to go by, 72000 applicants, barely 60 recruited.
            Everything that is done is buried in a smoke and mirrors quagmire, mainly to mollify the public concern . The HSE mentioned that the low level of medical staff signed up was because most of the remainder were on contract to them or other agencies. The PC 12 trip to Germany was not publicly announced highlighting the fact we can test by ROLLING OUT or even RAMPING UP but we cannot meet our own analysis/ results needs for those important tests. Quite a few in this discussion group see nothing wrong with being incompetent and helpless to meet our own medical and testing needs. There is an amateur management of the critical parts of the pandemic such as tested staff still treating patients while they await their results. Some proved positive and must have infected others particularly in Care settings.I was compared to Trump for my remarks but I see nothing wrong in doing things right.

Comment

folks please stay on topic.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

For any re-enlistment the need for the particular enlistment will be considered if a deficiency in personnel, expertise or military capability is identified by the COS and CANNOT be met in a timely manner from within Service Corps. The re-enlistment rests solely with the Minister on the advice of the Chief of Staff.
                The conditions are :1 . Meet Medical requirements DFR A12. 2. meet educational, certification and professional requirements for the particular appointment. 3. At least GOOD conduct rating upon previous discharge from PDF. 4. Pass current security clearances.
                You cannot re-join if you were--1 . medically discharged. 2 Compulsorily retired from PDF. 3. In receipt of disability allowance from any source. 4. Have less than 6 months to serve to reach normal retirement age. You enlist at the substantive rank at which you previously retired for a period of three years but not less than 6 months. Pay point will be at the scale point when you retired. It seems it will be a slow process and will include an Induction Training programme.

Comment

Working...
                X