No announcement yet.

Amendments to the Defence Act for Covid Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The amount of people though who tell me that everyone officers and men leaving the PDF automatically go to 1LR is ridiculous ....
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      The amount of people though who tell me that everyone officers and men leaving the PDF automatically go to 1LR is ridiculous ....
      No, other ranks only go on it for the duration of what is left of their 12 year undertaking.

On enlistment they sign a 12 undertaking made up of 5 years PDF and 7 years reserve. After 5 years they apply for extension of service (EOS) to extend that to 9 years PDF and 3 years reserve. After 12 years they are free.

Not much point in a 60 year old Pte joining the FLR.

Officers are different and have to apply to go on the FLR. The contracts are different and the discharge criteria are different. They would require a presidential commission in the FLR so not as straight forward as with other ranks.

Anyone that discharges by purchase buys out their contract so they have no FLR undertaking. Those that choose not to EOS do have a committment but can buy it out for the equivalent of 10 punts.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        As of 31st July 2019, the substantive strength of the First Line Reserve is 296 personnel; the effective strength of the Army Reserve is 1549 personnel and that of the Naval Service Reserve is 141 personnel.

Defence Forces Reserve Strength Dáil Éireann Debate, Friday - 6 September 2019

They have to apply to join the FLR and get a grat for filling in the form annually

How does that compare to the huge numbers who have left in the last 5 years
        How many of that 296 are in the country, not in another service such as Gardai, are medically fit etc?

Comment

This is kind of my point - whenever I bring up the reserve, certain people tend to say "no, FLR first to get called up" but I think its tilting at windmills.

Comment

This is kind of my point - whenever I bring up the reserve, certain people tend to say "no, FLR first to get called up" but I think its tilting at windmills.
            They may be tried to be mobilised before the SLR but the reality is they are unlikely to muster much strength

Comment

Excellent discussion, learning more each day.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                Excellent discussion, learning more each day.
                Always remember, every day's a school day....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  Always remember, every day's a school day....
                  Except in the current circumstances when the schools are closed, and those homeschooling quit on tuesday....
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Many people keep telling me the 1st Line Reserve is a thing. I have never once seen it mobilised or used or paraded. Asking PDF do you actually get transferred to it because I thought that all went by the wayside years ago ,
                    I remember when I got out I was basically given a "If you wish to remain as part of the 1LR tick this box" Didn't tick it. Moved on.

I have heard stories of a few exers, mainly NCO's with full 21 and in some cases more applying to help out being told that this recall/mobilisation is more geared towards the chinless class.
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Also when I was in.........one of my many duties was managing the 1LR for my unit. Think we had 3 on the books, contact information completely out of date and no way to contact them. Granted this was 2012 but doubt it had been improved in the interim with the many other problems the DF was facing.
                      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

The reenlistment is more than likely aimed at technicians.

Officers have had a scheme for around a year or so. I am aware of only 2 pilots that have taken it up.

There are some ex technical officers that have made it known they are willing to help out with pro bono contracting tasks or join a special reserve etc to help out with this crisis. Some are legislatively possible, others are not at present.

It would be good for enlisted pers to have the option of rejoining if they realised that civi street is not for them. Now that PDL is gone they have no way to test the water before leaving

Comment

There exists a perfectly feasible reserve which DOD are persistently unwilling to seriously use an consider like ACF or somewthing . Mind you were are getting off topic here. I'll split this thread off in the AM

Comment

Terms and Conditions have been agreed and published

Comment

Unlikely to get too many to return but every few helps. The pension abatement will stop many, but what do they want? A pension and a salary for the same job?

Good to see that they will not block vacancies.

Comment

same rank, pay and no chance of promotion , and no guarantee of a permanent job once term is up ? Or am I missing something ?

Comment

Working...
                                X