Military Medical Facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep the Faith Brother and stay safe.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Gotta be truthful and say the banter here, and the funnies I'm getting on Facebook Messenger are keeping me from going bonkers....
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

I have no doubt if a certain cohort of people go down in the hospitals that the DF could be the next line of defence and with rapid induction programmes could be quite efficient, its to get that training and placement done now is the issue, St. Lukes Hospital Kilkenny should have contacted the DF and put a plan in place to look after catering, portering should it be required but for now they are recruiting people from the general population instead. One hospital lost its entire compliment of porters for two weeks recently, your not going to pull in a body of that number off the street and expect them to carry out their duties... definitely the DF have a role to play in hospitals that has gone unidentified.

That seems to be the problem. We had our first death from COVID19 in February yet what agencies were brought on line then to prepare for the worsening situation. For all intents and purposes this is a HSE run situation concerning HSE only. As far as I am aware very little meaning full use of outside state agencies used to aid or replace HSE staff. Maybe I am wrong but on the surface that seems to be the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
          That seems to be the problem. We had our first death from COVID19 in February yet what agencies were brought on line then to prepare for the worsening situation. For all intents and purposes this is a HSE run situation concerning HSE only. As far as I am aware very little meaning full use of outside state agencies used to aid or replace HSE staff. Maybe I am wrong but on the surface that seems to be the picture.
          When you say we, who do you mean? Ireland had its first instance of Covid19 on 29 feb, first death was 2 weeks later.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Apologies on getting the dates wrong

Comment

In this situation the dates have been very important. Dates have determined both our response times and our length of response.
              As of today, while the numbers are sad to see, our average daily infection increase is at 10%, while our mortality rate is still just under 3%. However I am sad to say we will not all be heading for the hills on Easter sunday. The worst is yet to come. Better off saving the reserve (medical reserves) for when we need them most, when many of our HCWs are offline because they too are infected, and when the numbers infected is at its highest. We are not there yet.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                We know that in a backs to the wall scenario 200 military personnel built an expandable 4000 bed field hospital in the ExCel Centre in London , in 9 Days. It requires 16,000 staff which is being dredged up from St. Johns Ambulance, retired medical staffs, Military medical personnel, and other willing volunteers. It opens it's doors today. We must show willing. We got SBA's badged in the 60's and 70's by attaching them to busy A&E's in Major Hospitals. To keep the ship afloat we must take our turn at the pumps. When this is over, proper Military functions and potential essential supports must be reestablished.
                The real point I'm making is that when you try to drum up an Order of Battle for our 2Bdes they have listed their attached supports but there is no mention or identification of medical support for either Bde. The CTC is identified as the location of Central Medical Unit (CMU). If the doo-doo hits the fan what is the Plan.

Comment

The real point I'm making is that when you try to drum up an Order of Battle for our 2Bdes they have listed their attached supports but there is no mention or identification of medical support for either Bde. The CTC is identified as the location of Central Medical Unit (CMU). If the doo-doo hits the fan what is the Plan.
                  "CTC" ??? Showing your vintage there, Ancientmariner
                  But yeh, get your point...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The plan seems to be for the doo-doo to miss the fan...
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Not 100% sure but I think the idea is that the CMU was a that it’s elements could be tasked and moved as required

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                        The plan seems to be for the doo-doo to miss the fan...
                        Well if you don't have a fan in the first place the doo-doo can't hit it, so in the eyes of the bean counters, every thing will be OK.
                        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Not 100% sure but I think the idea is that the CMU was a that it’s elements could be tasked and moved as required

https://forum.irishmilitaryonline.co...p/t-12922.html
                          It's an impressive document but needs to be assessed by a Military Medical system of note that is up and running. An Army needs it's medical ability to be both static and mobile. It also needs it's facilities to be as exclusive as possible particularly during periods of conflict. The traditional service given to Families at DFTC should in fact be at Military facilities countrywide. The current state of AM Services is exclusively the fault of Government, and their view that taken care of people is somehow anachronistic . My son, who retired to, and works in Sweden, told me the Swedish Army was able to provide 30 ventilators to their GMS to help out for Covid.

Comment

It's an impressive document but needs to be assessed by a Military Medical system of note that is up and running. An Army needs it's medical ability to be both static and mobile. It also needs it's facilities to be as exclusive as possible particularly during periods of conflict. The traditional service given to Families at DFTC should in fact be at Military facilities countrywide. The current state of AM Services is exclusively the fault of Government, and their view that taken care of people is somehow anachronistic . My son, who retired to, and works in Sweden, told me the Swedish Army was able to provide 30 ventilators to their GMS to help out for Covid.
                            Size of Swedish military in comparison to DF ?

Really the PA Consultancy report focused on medicals (all the various types) and MOs. At the time the major issue was a lack of MOs.

Of course it failed to look at requirement for RDF enlistment medicals or really the RDF at all (think it got a mention twice).

The biggest single positive development in recent years has been the Faculty of Military Medicine

Comment

It is an old public source but in 2017 there were in the DF the following medical personnel:
                              21 doctors and 108 emergency medical technicians.
                              https://www.medicalindependent.ie/me...-army-doctors/

Although it seems the number has now reduced to 19 doctors although on the public source below no date is given. The site is interesting as it allow anyone to compare with militaries of other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                Size of Swedish military in comparison to DF ?

Really the PA Consultancy report focused on medicals (all the various types) and MOs. At the time the major issue was a lack of MOs.

Of course it failed to look at requirement for RDF enlistment medicals or really the RDF at all (think it got a mention twice).

The biggest single positive development in recent years has been the Faculty of Military Medicine
                                The Swedish comparison is apt. They have double our population at approx 10m, and 2.25 times our active strength and 5.8 times our budget. While we buy uniforms and paint old buildings and buy large ships with little military capability, and buy passenger planes for the Aer Corps, the Swedish spend money on Defence. We in Ireland continually feel the Department buys us presents if we are good and acquiescent to a meaningless exercise.

Comment

Working...
                                X