Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venezuelan OPV rams Cruise liner, then sinks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venezuelan OPV rams Cruise liner, then sinks.

This story is just too strange. Details are at best sketchy, with only two versions currently.

Cruise ship sunk Venezuelan Navy ship and fled, to avoid unlawful seizure
    Master of cruise ship saved people he was responsible for, from a very bad possible outcome, be the ship seized by Venezuela.
    Apr 1 UPDATE: I’ve been correct in my assumption, that the decision to flee was justified, or so it seems, judging from updates published by local sources. According to Curacao media and their information, ANBV NAIGUATA did attempt to seize cruise ship and take her to Margarita Island, east of Tortuga, under a dubious pretext of “violation of Venezuela territorial waters”. Ships navigating in these waters enjoy the right of free passage, so it looks like an attempt to hijack cruise ship. That explains this strange leg in ship’s track and unexplainable Tortuga approach.
    Captain of cruise ship is to be commended for his exceptional personal bravery and seamanship skills. He saved his crew from a very harsh ordeal, and called all fire on himself, because he’s to be the main target of Venezuelan wrath and lawsuits and so on.
    Why did Venezuela decide to seize cruise ship? I guess, mainly for monetary reasons, though authoritarian regimes are absolutely unpredictable, when it comes to their lawless acts and reasons behind such acts.
    Venezuela Navy Patrol Ship ANBV NAIGUATA (GCG-23) sank after collision with cruise ship RCGS RESOLUTE early in the morning Mar 30 northwest of La Tortuga island, Venezuela, Caribbean. Patrol ship was patrolling whatever she was patrolling, cruise ship was on Buenos Aires – Willemstad Curacao run, berthing there same day. According to Venezuelan Military command, RCGS RESOLUTE “in a cowardly and criminal manner fled collision site and didn’t try to rescue the crew of sinking ship”. All 44 crew of ANBV NAIGUATA were rescued, details unknown.
    It is not known if there were passengers on board of cruise ship. Here’s the problem – Master of cruise ship could be so scared of possible Venezuela respond to collision, that he decided to flee. However cowardly or criminal his actions may look, he has his point, being afraid of Venezuela, inevitable arrest of the ship and following repercussions. Much more so if the ship had tourists on board. Venezuela is notorious for seizing absolutely innocent merchant ships and crews, and treating them like criminals. What should Venezuela do in this case, is anyone guess, but fair and impartial investigation seems highly unlikely outcome. One more issue – cruise ship was steaming towards port of destination, no dire straits or restricted fairways, and how did Navy ship manage to be hit by passenger ship, is anyone’s guess, too. It tells a lot about Venezuela Navy seamanship.
    All in all, this story may be considered as a story with happy end. Nobody died, cruise ship with dozens of crew and probably, passengers, avoided very unpleasant arrest with unpredictable results, the only loss being Navy ship. No big deal, I’d say. One Navy ship more or one less, who cares? Master will be punished if found guilty, in Curacao or anywhere else, but one thing is for sure as of now – he already saved people he was responsible for, from a very bad possible outcome, be the ship seized by Venezuela.
    Venezuela Navy Patrol Ship ANBV NAIGUATA (GCG-23), callsign YWKR, displacement 1453, length 80 meters, built 2009 Spain, commissioned 2011, armament artillery, electronic warfare equipment, helicopter, complement 34.
    Cruise ship RCGS RESOLUTE, IMO 9000168, GT 8378, built 1991, flag Madeira, capacity 184 passengers, crew 125, operator Columbia Cruise Services.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

A bit more on it:
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
      Benefit of ICE 1 hull strength rating. I hope someone video recorded the incident.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        Benefit of ICE 1 hull strength rating. I hope someone video recorded the incident.
        Wasn’t someone recently saying in another thread that an ice-Hull on an OPV was overkill?
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

L.E Deirdre suffered some damage from a cruise ship while alongside in Amsterdam , I believe her lifeboat and davit were damaged . Resulted in an extended stay in Amsterdam for the poor crew .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
            L.E Deirdre suffered some damage from a cruise ship while alongside in Amsterdam , I believe her lifeboat and davit were damaged . Resulted in an extended stay in Amsterdam for the poor crew .
            P20 was alongside in part of the Liner Berths, in Amsterdam. A liner was leaving, and while moving slowly from her berth she set down on P20 and crushed her against the quays, doing certain damage that was tidied up later by the Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              Video clip here but it doesn't show the lead up to how the ships arrived at the coming together.
              https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...before-sinking
              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

President maduro is being implicated in a massive drug running scheme and some of his former Officers have turned themselves in to the Americans to give evidence against him.

Comment

Working...
                X