Big changes for An Cosantoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad, but inevitable.
    Print media is struggling worldwide, an in-house niche magazine has no hope in the current environment. Indeed most of the retailers who sold the publication on their magazine shelves are revamping their stores to reflect the current market.
    Before the internet, An Cosantoir was manadatory reading material for anyone interesting in a career in the Defence Forces.
    I know some IMO members were frequent contributors to the magazine. Hopefully this will continue in the new format.
    At least I no longer have to find extra shelf space to store my back issues (since 1983). Hopefully the new format will be in magazine style, and printable, if required.
    Surprised to read it here first though. I would have thought Lt Col Whittaker would have had the decency to email all subscribers first.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I'm sorry to see it go too. Long time subscriber as well.

I suspect that there may not be an email for everyone on the subscriber base due to many being so for years. Also surprised to first get notice of the changes here as my email is on hand with them...

Comment

Both the Admin & Subs NCOs posts are vacant so that may have something to do with it. Unfortunate

Comment

I know the editor has been on sick leave for some time also, so it is possible there is nobody home in cosantoir HQ.

Comment

Will the general public still be able to access it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
              Will the general public still be able to access it?
              The letter seems to suggest that. Most of the subscribers are probably not even in the DF I'd imagine.

Comment

Some load of bollocks. A lot going on behind the scenes. Magazine was ran into the ground. Ask why no one wants to work there?

A disgrace.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I think one of the issues (pun intended) with An Cosantoir is that due to the size of the organisation, it has been unable to engage in any critical self reflection, be that in the form of letters to the editor, or articles asking hard questions. This is partially due to the fact that the author is more than likely going to be hauled in by the CO after coffee going "What in gods name did you publish that for"

Personnel are increasingly unwilling to pay for the uncritical unthinking line of "everybody was really tired, but went home happy with the new skills they had learned" buzz that comes off official military magazines(and other feeds such as social media) month in and month out.

Contrast this to the UK's "Soldier Magazine" "Talkback" section for airing gripes or queries.

Unless a magazine is willing to engage in critical discussion and reflection then I cannot see it surviving in digital only form. It will become a glorified connect... which it is well on the way to being.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                    Some load of bollocks. A lot going on behind the scenes. Magazine was ran into the ground. Ask why no one wants to work there?

A disgrace.
                    A former RDF colleague of yours and mine ended up working at the magazine, I visited them a few years back on business and to be fair their location in the DFTC did not strike me as a location that would promote a healthy work environment. It's a cave. I don't know how anyone could work there day in, day out.
                    DFPR seems to have died a death recently. Only for the PR of the various brigades doing their own thing, and doing it well, the public would have no clue what the DF are at. It does not seem to be a coordinated corporate policy response though.
                    Other organisations have people employed full time to handle their social media output. The Garda PR operation, for example is very slick and on message. Everything goes through them. No solo runs. Those who do otherwise are slapped down with the entire might of HQ.
                    The question begs, what is Cosantoir supposed to be? Is it a publication dealing exclusively with the activities of the defence forces, both current and historic? Or is it a publication giving an Irish Defence forces reportage of it's activities and worldwide military news stories relevant to the Irish situation?

Comment

Since FG assumed office, DOD have stood on the neck of DFPB. Everything has to be given the okay by the civi that does not know what it means but is looking at the media and PR spin

Comment

The Powers that be should not let this happen. 80 years people FFS.

As for content. The magazine had become a glorified Historical society publication with more pages given over to past events then current. Compare this with the UK magazine Soldier which features articles on Unit exercises,equipment updates, soldier welfare issues and lifestyle features such as film,music,book and game reviews etc. No wonder the younger soldier wasn't buying An Cos.

Our own "Newsletters" the last few years have been a joke.Created to free up space in the Cos. for more "indepth" articles.They went from once a month,free for everyone, to once a quarter and when you consider the centrespreads had recently become all posters instead of news snippets they were pretty useless for their intended purpose. They were free for a while on the An Cos. Website. Taken down over a year ago. Then we had the shortlived ICD on IKON and the members area on Military.IE. Died a death the last few months also.

Internal comms my arse.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                          A former RDF colleague of yours and mine ended up working at the magazine, I visited them a few years back on business and to be fair their location in the DFTC did not strike me as a location that would promote a healthy work environment. It's a cave. I don't know how anyone could work there day in, day out.
                          DFPR seems to have died a death recently. Only for the PR of the various brigades doing their own thing, and doing it well, the public would have no clue what the DF are at. It does not seem to be a coordinated corporate policy response though.
                          Other organisations have people employed full time to handle their social media output. The Garda PR operation, for example is very slick and on message. Everything goes through them. No solo runs. Those who do otherwise are slapped down with the entire might of HQ.
                          The question begs, what is Cosantoir supposed to be? Is it a publication dealing exclusively with the activities of the defence forces, both current and historic? Or is it a publication giving an Irish Defence forces reportage of it's activities and worldwide military news stories relevant to the Irish situation?
                          Is it still in the grounds of St Bricins hospital?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                            The Printing Press is. DFPB is located in the Curragh

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                              An Cosantóir offices are in DFTC also
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X