Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF BAe146 for COVID19 (within U.K.? CASEVAC)

Comment

Mod, Apologies for not paying more attention to this thread, a rake of problems apart from covid 19, posts have gone to General, Foreign forces, air Ambulance thread, it's an untidy fix at best, please keep this one for talking about the [highly unlikely] acquisition of transport aircraft....
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
        What about Area 52 in Longford, I understand C130s where "seen operating" from there about 15 years ago
        No that was Abbeyshrule....
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Abbeyshrule is in Longford, it's about the only thing of any note in Longford, and please don't start all that again.....

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
            Abbeyshrule is in Longford, it's about the only thing of any note in Longford, and please don't start all that again.....
            Is that what they told you to say?
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I am required to give only my name, rank and serial number.....

seriously: is it worthwhile having the C235s refurbished as interim transport aircraft, when the new 295s move in as MPAs with a possible purchase of another two 295s further into the future??
              Last edited by Turkey; 5 July 2020, 22:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                I didn't start it

seriously: is it worthwhile having the C235s refurbished as interim transport aircraft, when the new 295s move in as MPAs with a possible purchase of another two 295s further into the future??
                In a word... no
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

what about foregoing tactical capability and getting A321XLRs? with a view to late conversion to MRTT?

Comment

We need both types.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      We need both types.
                      yes, but this may be a smaller hill to climb.

Comment

An A321XLR will be an extremely difficult aircraft to obtain in the next years. Given the effects of Covid-19 on the long range air travel market there is strong demand for the XLR as it will allow airlines to run long range routes. The costs will thus be likely be in excess of a C130/C390 before you add defensive aids. There are however plenty of relatively young A320 & A321 which will be available on the second hand market.

If the choice is a A321XLR or a C130/C390 then the latter would be preferable as it is more flexible for military operations.

Comment

Passing Cork Airport recently, I noticed a number of the smaller Aer Lingus Airbus types, parked up, engines sealed up, going nowhere any time soon.

Comment

Temporary. they'll be back in operation soon. Others of the fleet will be going back to the lessors and some will go to the desert for deep storage.

Comment

What the German's are up to:
                              Lufthansa will prepare the two aircraft for various types of missions such as troop transport and medical evacuation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                                TBH I think this would suit us well, with a cargo door cut in. And if we managed to participate in EATC / ATARES that would probably do us. I don't think that we would need our own tactical air mobility in that case. Caveats for EATC / ATARES apply of course. Like never sufficiently accurséd triple lock. I am not sure how that would work for SAC? Easier maybe?

Comment

Working...
                                X