• Purchase of Transport Aircraft

So what can you get for €10 million?

Today most likely an A380

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      Today most likely an A380
      Assuming we'll retain the first class for ministers

Aer Corps One on the way!!
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
        Assuming we'll retain the first class for ministers

Aer Corps One on the way!!
        One of the key reasons Air France is getting rid of their A380's was that they were to expensive to change the interior, so first class will be staying along with the bar!

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
          One of the key reasons Air France is getting rid of their A380's was that they were to expensive to change the interior, so first class will be staying along with the bar!
          For the lads coming back from the Leb of further afar, we may need an additional two bars for NCO and 3 Stars!
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
            For the lads coming back from the Leb of further afar, we may need an additional two bars for NCO and 3 Stars!
            That's what the trolley is for. Comp for NCOs, Privates have to buy their own.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

So there is something like carzone for aircraft in the US.
              I can get you a 1998 A321 with 66000hrs for just under €7m, now it is missing one engine, but otherwise roadworthy...
              A better option though might be a 1997 A340 with 46000hrs, a fresh C check and nice white paint job for just over €8m.

However, for an extra few quid you can pick up an A320-214 (2010) for $23m, or a 2009 A320-232 for just under $20m.
              Find new and used planes, helicopters, fighter jets, private jets and other aircraft for sale, lease, trade or charter.

Thats just at an uneducated glance. Both of these sites have not yet delivered aircraft for sale, no price quoted, due to come off the line later this year. I still say leasing would be a better option in the short term, as we did with the Kingairs, the HS125, The Gulfstream and the Casa.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                So what can you get for €10 million?
                Don't know but the A400m has just been certified for simultaneous evacuation of 116 paratroops dispatched through two doors (P and S) 58+58 in a matter of less than a minute.

Comment

Nice aircraft, but we would still be more or less a launch customer. I'd prefer to go with something tried and tested for now, maybe revisit the A400M when it is in more widespread use (as C130 is).

Comment

A400M would be a good choice on its own terms, but two of them, and the training and maintenance pipeline would hoover up the entire DF budget...

I think describibg anyone who buys them as the launch customer is taking things a little far.... It's been in RAF service for 5 years, been used on operations (entirely successfully), and is flying more than 5,500 hours a year in just UK service. The French have also been using theirs for several years on OP SERVAL, which is no easy environment.

Comment

A400M is a stunning platform, plenty of teething pains but out the other side now and really starting to show its capabilities.

Really spans the Tactical to Strategic area and is good at both ends of the spectrum.

The costs are commensurate with its capability and are likely beyond what Ireland inc is planning on spending.

Comment

Have they solved the vibration problems?
                        If a customer has not been one of the nations involved in its design development, and nobody else has bought it, then you are a launch customer. The others are obligated to buy it for the sake of their own aviation industry.
                        Last edited by na grohmiti; 4 June 2020, 19:59.

Comment

The Spanish and Germans were trying to reduce the number of A400M's they would buy but are locked in by contract. The Spanish were also in talks with South Korea to swap a number of aircraft for South Korean trainer aircraft. Nothing has come off it to date. Both Spain and Germany are currently trying to push the delivery dates out as late as possible. There could be scope there to acquire one on mate rates. They are tied into buying them anyway, if they could recoup 60-70% of the value of one they may be tempted. It would also mean they have one less to service, maintain and crew. Malaysia has four A400 also, they signed on early but were not part of the consortium, although Airbus did sublet some contracts to local firms as part of the conditions of contract. So technically they would be the launch customers, although IMHO the original members are the launch customers since they are the first to receive them, which is were the term came from regardless if they are obligated to buy them to support their local industry or not. But each to their own.

Comment

Decision announced for RNZAF To purchase 5 x C130J-30

Comment

Frankly I for once have to agree with Kehoe - I don't think we'd get enough use out of them to justify the expense. I'd rather we joined SAC or EATC/ATARES. And yes I am aware of the caveats, but I am having a feeling that the militantly "neutral" part of the population is beginning to die out. When I speak to younger people these concerns seem to be much less.

Comment

Working...
                              X