Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

View Poll Results: What type of transport aircraft does the Air Corps need?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Military transport aircraft such as C130J/A400M

23 79.31%
  • Civilian airliner capable of carrying freight

6 20.69%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    What RFP is that from Dev?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

2. Dislikes ODIN disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Do EADS do trade ins?
    Bit difficult, EADS no longer exists, it transformed into Airbus in 2008.

At the moment I think you would get a good deal on a new aircraft without the trade-in.
    Last edited by EUFighter; 19th May 2020 at 15:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    If we do get a dedicated utility C-295 or two, a function they could add that was not in the RfP is firefighting.
    https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...programme.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsAh2s_b5Y

Years ago if someone had said we have a fire season in Ireland I would have laughed, but now with regularity we see the AC out fighting fires. A suitably equipped C-295 would be an asset that could be quickly and easily deployed giving support to the AW-139's used today.

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, Got confused because they still build them in the ADS plant in Spain.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    If we do get a dedicated utility C-295 or two, a function they could add that was not in the RfP is firefighting.
    https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...programme.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsAh2s_b5Y

Years ago if someone had said we have a fire season in Ireland I would have laughed, but now with regularity we see the AC out fighting fires. A suitably equipped C-295 would be an asset that could be quickly and easily deployed giving support to the AW-139's used today.

Not a fan personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    The one for the maritime patrol aircraft that led to the C295 being selected for the AC
    Last edited by DeV; 19th May 2020 at 16:07.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised by the CPFH for the C-130H as the figures they gave in the C-130J SAR for both aircraft were around the same value, the C-130H being a little lower.
    It costs a lot to keep 50 year old planes in the air mainly due to the scarcity of parts and the time fixing them.

But that is only the CPFH, a C17 lifts more and flies faster.
    Thus on a 5.5hr mission a C-17 will lift 71,214kg a distance of 2420nm, a C-130J will lift 15,422kg a distance of 1800nm. So looking at kg/nm the C-17 has a massive advantage over the C-130J. But as we both know, the mix will be different, it will not always be flying such load, there will be training fights without cargo, flight with troops etc. But I was surprised how cheap the C-17 was to operate, and if you want medium/long distance cargo then it seems a great fit.
    Sadly they are not making them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan personally.
    "The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: the inflight failure of the right wing due to fatigue cracking in the center wing lower skin and underlying structural members. A factor contributing to the accident was inadequate maintenance procedures to detect fatigue cracking."

As it was not the only crash in 2002 further investigations showed that pilots were regularly pulling almost 4g in low level drops. Something they would expect from a fighter but not a fire fighting aircraft. The FAA did later tighten up a lot and although aerial fire fighting like all fire fighting remains risky it is today a lot safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzac View Post
    Sadly they are not making them anymore.
    Yes, sadly, that is Boeing. They didn't like the SoCal sun, prefer rainy NW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accidental click of the dislike button here, apologies!
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

13. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belgium has a nice A321, introduced in 2014. One of it's first jobs was a trip to Mali. Belgium leased it from HIFLI.
    Ireland has a long history of aircraft leasing. Surely government could get a competitive deal from one of these companies?
    https://www.flightglobal.com/belgian...0h7SPg.twitter

15. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

17. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://twitter.com/slandail_nssi/st...682550274?s=21

Slan Dail are doing a webinar on this very subject on 26 May

19. Thanks Tempest thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belgium has a nice A321, introduced in 2014. One of it's first jobs was a trip to Mali. Belgium leased it from HIFLI.
    Ireland has a long history of aircraft leasing. Surely government could get a competitive deal from one of these companies?
    https://www.flightglobal.com/belgian...0h7SPg.twitter
    HiFly have being providing wet leased aircraft to Belgium for many years now, the have an A380 if you still want one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by madmark; 20th May 2020 at 20:23.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

22. Likes na grohmiti, ias liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had this discussion before and it doesn't seem to be a popular choice on IMO. However it does appear to be cheap, though whether you would get a C MK3 for EUR 10million... I still am of the opinion that the versatility of the C Mk3 (QC) is what the IAC requires but the expert view is that it is an unreliable aircraft and who am I to argue with that.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well one that is still flyable is a lot better than one that is destined to be used as a ground based training unit for fire & rescue or the ARW.
    I think though, that it might take five or six trips to move one of overseas deployed units, and in very little comfort for any flight going further than Paris.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well one that is still flyable is a lot better than one that is destined to be used as a ground based training unit for fire & rescue or the ARW.
    I think though, that it might take five or six trips to move one of overseas deployed units, and in very little comfort for any flight going further than Paris.
    Very true. There's no doubt that they are not ideal but when you see amounts of EUR 10 million being mentioned there really is no/little alternative. The comfort may be addressed somewhat in the C MK3 in that in full passenger config it carries 95, presumably 19 rows X 5 compared to its civil equivalent 146-200 112 passengers in 19 rows X 6. The range would also require a refueling stop half way to Beirut/Tel Aviv/Haifa.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ias View Post
    Very true. There's no doubt that they are not ideal but when you see amounts of EUR 10 million being mentioned there really is no/little alternative. The comfort may be addressed somewhat in the C MK3 in that in full passenger config it carries 95, presumably 19 rows X 5 compared to its civil equivalent 146-200 112 passengers in 19 rows X 6. The range would also require a refueling stop half way to Beirut/Tel Aviv/Haifa.
    More likely two refueling stops en-route to Beirut, was a stretch to make it back to Dub from Malaga direct.

Post Thanks / Like
    The BAe146's that the RAF got are -100's from 1986, one will go to the RAF museum (even if not announced) and the rest will be sold and parted out. BAe stopped making the 146 in 1993 and the next generation RJ was last made in 2000. Given the effect of Covid-19 on the commercial market many of the older aircraft now on the ground will never fly again. This means that there are plenty of new, more efficient, bigger aircraft now available. For $10m today it would be possible to get a Boeing 767-300 that is around 20yrs old.

28. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is another way to get aircraft, leasing, just as Saab does with the JAS39's. Airbus is not only a manufacturer of aircraft it also finances and leases them so maybe that would be the route to go.

So if we convince the Austrians, Finns and Swedes to develop a joint Airlift Wing with the following composition:
    6x C-295
    2x A321XLR
    12x A400M

What would it cost per year?
    Based upon the commercial dry lease rates the bundle would cost around $331m p/a, the operational costs would add $98m p/a based upon 600hr/y, except the A321 which do double. That gives a yearly cost of around $429m, or €373m based upon a $/€ of 1.15.
    But we would not need to cover the entire cost, so let's say we take 20%, that means a yearly cost of $74m.
    Last edited by EUFighter; 21st May 2020 at 09:34.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tabloids this morning saying it was fine to Charter a Gulfstream to Extradite a criminal to the USA for the sale of Rhino Horns.
    And yet our 2 officers remain stuck in Africa...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tabloids this morning saying it was fine to Charter a Gulfstream to Extradite a criminal to the USA for the sale of Rhino Horns.
    And yet our 2 officers remain stuck in Africa...
    They left out the bit that the US paid for that flight, not sure if they also organised it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    They left out the bit that the US paid for that flight, not sure if they also organised it
    If it was the US Marshals who organised it, then surely it may have even been one of their own aircraft.

https://www.usmarshals.gov/jpats/
    Last edited by CTU; 25th May 2020 at 17:23.
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed!
    I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting line up for the NSSI webinar on air mobility:
    https://twitter.com/RACO_DF/status/1264931989100138499

34. Likes Anzac, EUFighter liked this post

Thread Information