Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgium to sell off NH90 helicopters. A good buy for us

http://https://twitter.com/CombatAir/status/1275676006582571008?s=20

Was thinking the same. They want to save their cash for F35 (money pit) and A400M Interesting how they see the need for both the latter but not the former? Could it be that the NH90 are more trouble than they are worth?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

They've certainly had troubles in multiple services but I thought they'd worked through those problems?

Comment

Not sure if I’d be biting their hands off

Imagine the media once they heard the reports from Australia, Germany, Sweden and others

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          They've certainly had troubles in multiple services but I thought they'd worked through those problems?
          They did take quite a lot longer than expected to both arrive and to get IOC with the RNZAF, but are now doing reasonably well. Still very expensive to buy, support and to operate.

Comment

Is there any other source for this story? I would be surprised if Belgium was getting rid of the 4 NH90 TTH's that they have as they will still have the 4 NH90 NFH's. That they may be looking for a follow-on for their A109's could be likely but why get rid of 4 NH90's now. The major costs have already been occurred and the H145M is no way in the same universe as the NH90.

However if they were to be getting rid of their NH90's I am sure that the Dutch would be given first refusal.

Comment

They might be worth looking at if you could join with another user and piggyback on training, certification, maintaince, manufacturer support and upgrades - and if they were cheap - but if I were leafing through a 'helicopters for sale' catalogue, I'd probably pass over the NH90 section.

Too many unhappy customers for my taste...

Comment

Part of the issue is that there are differences between every users NH90s

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                  Is there any other source for this story? I would be surprised if Belgium was getting rid of the 4 NH90 TTH's that they have as they will still have the 4 NH90 NFH's. That they may be looking for a follow-on for their A109's could be likely but why get rid of 4 NH90's now. The major costs have already been occurred and the H145M is no way in the same universe as the NH90.

However if they were to be getting rid of their NH90's I am sure that the Dutch would be given first refusal.

Today our organization is undergoing a profound transformation and we are facing an extraordinary challenge in the field of human resources. In this context, it was decided to reduce the flight plan NH-90 TTH version (Troop Transport Helicopter) and to take the B-Hunter UAV capacity out of circulation early by four months.

The measures related to the TTH variant are a result of its limited operational output due to the lack of industrial support (which is likely to decline in the coming years) due to very costly but necessary upgrades and due to staff shortages. Defense makes the choice to focus on the NFH version (Nato Frigate Helicopter), which in its maritime role must expand the effectiveness of the frigates and at the same time ensure the SAR mission. To ensure support for the Land Component and the Medical Component in the future, a number of avenues are currently being studied.

A second measure is to bring the B-Hunter UAV out of circulation. The current B-Hunter has a low availability and no longer meets the standards and requirements of today's operating theater. Early release will allow released personnel to optimally prepare for the 2023 planned deployment of the MQ-9B SkyGuardian and to strengthen other weapon systems. For the initial technical support of the MQ-9B, maximum use will be made of industry.

A period of reconditioning therefore imposes itself against this profound transformation and extraordinary challenge. This should allow to stabilize, to form new staff, to integrate new capacities, to invest in new infrastructure while the current one is being renovated and to meet future challenges with the necessary energy. This has consequences for the operational output, whereby care must be taken to maintain a coherent operational commitment within the possibilities and taking into account the restrictions imposed.

It is in this very specific context that these proposals were submitted to the Chief of Defense and his Minister for a decision.

The decisions taken will affect each component individually, in some cases all together, in others part of it.
                  Last edited by na grohmiti; 24 June 2020, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    In other words there is absolutely no way we should even dream about these

Comment

Looks like they will throw their lot in with the NFH, and give up on the TTH.
                      The TTH has had many problems, such as the seats not being strong enough to hold a fully equipped soldier, and the floor not strong enough to deal with the rigours of booted troops running in and out.

Comment

Reading the announcement the reason they are giving is
                        "The measures related to the TTH variant are a result of its limited operational output due to the lack of industrial support (which is likely to decline in the coming years) due to very costly but necessary upgrades and to personnel shortages."

This is a strange reason as the NFH is almost the exact same airframe, engines and FC systems, all supported by the same industrial group NH Indutries.

Comment

Working...
                        X