X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Development Plan

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Introduction
    This is a plan for the continued re-equipment of the Defence Forces. It is being funded under the
    National Development Plan – Project Ireland 2040.
    Capability is at the heart of Defence. Defence equipment is one of the most important components
    of capability. Ireland’s Defence Forces are small by many international standards, however, a
    premium has always been put on ensuring that they have available the very best equipment to deliver
    on the roles set by Government and the range of tasks required to fulfil these.
    The White Paper on Defence sets out overall Defence policy covering the roles of the Defence Forces,
    including the Reserve Defence Forces. It also sets out the plans in relation to the development and
    retention of military capabilities. The White Paper noted that capabilities are developed through
    appropriate investment in doctrine, human resources policies, regulatory reform, equipment,
    infrastructure, organisation, education and training.
    Just to highlight what is new in this and not in White Paper, excluding what is well know about such as the new aircraft and vehicles, as well as ongoing upgrades.

PC-9 Mid-life refit – Target drogue, T-CAS, Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning system - 2022-24.
    Armoured Utility Vehicles (AUV) – additional vehicles.
    Combat System Support Demountable Rack Offload and Pickup System (DROPS) vehicles – replacement between 2021-23.
    Ground Based Air Defence (GBAD) Radar – Artillery Corps, an updated system is due for acquisition in the period 2021-22.
    84mm Anti-Tank – replacement/upgrade in 2021-23.
    Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)/Drone Defence System - development of anti-drone capability.
    Multi-Beam Sonar - Echo Sounder (MBES) – for P60 Class ships up to 2022.
    Naval Service 20mm Secondary Gun Replacement – 2020-22.
    Naval Service Reserve Motor Launches – replacement during 2021-24.

PC9M: Target drogue for what exactly? How will T-CAS be implemented in day to day duties and how was the need for it flagged? What is "Enhanced" about the Ground proximity warning system?

AUV: Is this more Armoured DROPS or does it refer to other types?

With regard to DROPS, is there many IVECO ASTRA DROPS still in service? It's only Scania I see down these parts. DROPS was possibly the best bit of kit the DF ever invested in. Once you have DROPS, suddenly your mechanically dodgy armoured vehicle or Artillery unit with a shortage of qualified drivers can suddenly make it to the range. I'd say it took a lot of pressure off Base Workshops.

GBAD: Is Giraffe and Flycatcher gone so? How many trucks has the current Giraffe been mounted on in it's lifetime? Will the Hagglunds be refitted for the new radar?

84mm: Can you improve on perfection? What about SRAAW?

Drone Defence:Long overdue.

MBES: Why can't the P50 system operate on the P60s?

Rhino replacement: Already? If so there is only one realistic replacement. 27mm Mauser MLG27 Autocannon, on a remotely operated mount. It's what the Rhinos we have were replaced with.

NSR Motor Launches: Hopefully there will still be an NSR to crew them by then. Plenty of nice half decker angling boats on the market after the Lockdown.....(Joking). Again, either do it properly or not at all. It shouldn't look like an Angling boat painted grey.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Carl Gustaf M4 here we come....

Comment

I wonder whats meant by this:

Future programmes at pre planning stage
        Beyond the very significant range of projects already underway or in existing planning streams, the
        EDP highlights others that are expected to progress in future phases of the plan. This is not an
        exhaustive list but gives an indication of the scale and range of programmes that will enter planning.
        At this stage there is not a definite commitment to pursue, or an associated time-frame, for these.
        These include a primary radar system, air combat interceptor, replacement of the two Coastal Patrol
        vessels, acquisition of diver based mine counter measures,

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
          One refurbished F-5.

Just one.

Comment

That sounds like a bit of a fighty aircraft to me.....

Comment

"It's still in the WP so we have to say something about it but make it clear we aren't required to do anything" would be my guess, hence the "At this stage there is not a definite commitment" bit.

Comment

What's cheap, tokenist, and can demonstrate within 5 years that it is (a) too expensive (b) unable to do the job it was intended for while (c) does a pretty flypast on Easter sunday.

Comment

What's cheap, tokenist, and can demonstrate within 5 years that it is (a) too expensive (b) unable to do the job it was intended for while (c) does a pretty flypast on Easter sunday.
                  You're thinking F-35 too????

Comment

PC9M: Target drogue for what exactly? How will T-CAS be implemented in day to day duties and how was the need for it flagged? What is "Enhanced" about the Ground proximity warning system?

With regard to DROPS, is there many IVECO ASTRA DROPS still in service? It's only Scania I see down these parts. DROPS was possibly the best bit of kit the DF ever invested in. Once you have DROPS, suddenly your mechanically dodgy armoured vehicle or Artillery unit with a shortage of qualified drivers can suddenly make it to the range. I'd say it took a lot of pressure off Base Workshops.

GBAD: Is Giraffe and Flycatcher gone so? How many trucks has the current Giraffe been mounted on in it's lifetime? Will the Hagglunds be refitted for the new radar?

Rhino replacement: Already? If so there is only one realistic replacement. 27mm Mauser MLG27 Autocannon, on a remotely operated mount. It's what the Rhinos we have were replaced with.

NSR Motor Launches: Hopefully there will still be an NSR to crew them by then. Plenty of nice half decker angling boats on the market after the Lockdown.....(Joking). Again, either do it properly or not at all. It shouldn't look like an Angling boat painted grey.
                    I think its quite obvious what the target drogue is for. Air defence shoots are still done with GPMG and HMG. Possibly also with Naval Service.
                    T-CAS and GPWS upgrades could be to comply with newer EASA regs.

The AUV is the 4x4 armoured Toyota Landcruiser.

The SRAAW is used at section level, the 84 at company level.

Is the MBES not permanently fitted to the ship?

Comment

I was of the understanding that our MEBS are towed Fish.

Comment

The TCAS and EGPWS are basically computer box and cockpit switch panel changes and software updates; the TCAS mod is probably to bring the PC-9s up to scratch in EASA airspace. It increases their survivability when flying under instrument conditions in crowded controlled airspace and makes them more visible to radar when operating outside controlled airspace. Airliners in EASAland are all moving to ADS-B these days,using satellites instead of ground stations. It's probably a couple of hundred thousand per aircraft,easily.

Comment

Interesting that there seem to be no mention of equipment for the Cavalry Corps?
                          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Target towing for HMG, GPMG, NS and possibly AC

TCAS as in Traffic collision avoidance system

EGPWS has been around a number of years. My understanding is that it saves the flight histories like a FDR And is intended so that charts etc can be updated.

AUV is more armoured Nissan Patrols & Toyota Land Cruisers

GBAD - I think the original truck mounted Giraffe is gone all current on the Hagglunds

84mm M4 is lighter and there is upgraded ammo available. SRAAW is .... Short Range

Do the P50s already have it?

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
                              Interesting that there seem to be no mention of equipment for the Cavalry Corps?
                              Headress and firepower upgrade.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X