Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut backs in the UK

Has anyone seen my speculating hat?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

More rumours circulating that the RAF will get rid of all its C130 fleet in the forthcoming review, to focus on getting the A400M fully operational. The Puma fleet will also be retired.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      More rumours circulating that the RAF will get rid of all its C130 fleet in the forthcoming review, to focus on getting the A400M fully operational. The Puma fleet will also be retired.
      The Puma's last week had their support contract renewed until 2025. So likely after that runs out in 5 years as a replacement will need to be found and will take that long to sort through.

As for the C-130J's - Why would they want to cull their reliable fleet workhorse - but then again UK Defence reviews always end up taking one or two very regrettable decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Anzac View Post
        The Puma's last week had their support contract renewed until 2025. So likely after that runs out in 5 years as a replacement will need to be found and will take that long to sort through.

As for the C-130J's - Why would they want to cull their reliable fleet workhorse - but then again UK Defence reviews always end up taking one or two very regrettable decisions.
        Given that said reviews are mainly driven by budgets rather than defence it wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be true, kind of like the culling of the Harriers and Nimrods and "gapping those areas" till the QE's and P8's just to cut costs back in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          Given that said reviews are mainly driven by budgets rather than defence it wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be true, kind of like the culling of the Harriers and Nimrods and "gapping those areas" till the QE's and P8's just to cut costs back in 2010.
          Let's not forget the defence review in the early 80s which suggested selling off the Carriers and Amphibious Ships, Luckily for them the Falklands happened before they implemented that review. (Although since then the RN has suffered because of Project Overspends and Budget Cuts)
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
            Let's not forget the defence review in the early 80s which suggested selling off the Carriers and Amphibious Ships, Luckily for them the Falklands happened before they implemented that review. (Although since then the RN has suffered because of Project Overspends and Budget Cuts)
            Or the one in the 50's under Sandy...
            Yeah defence reviews tend not to be kind. This rumour btw is from the Times who've got the leaks from Whitehall before the review (so grain of salt), but it's not just the C130's and puma's, the Army would be cut by 20K to drop to around 55K, cuts to the Royal Marines (losing artillery, engineering and amphib?), the RN losing the MCM... More for "Cyber" and "Space" it seems in the report.

Comment

The cuts are being proposed by the leader of the UK government, Dominic Cummings.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                The cuts are being proposed by the leader of the UK government, Dominic Cummings.
                Uncle Vlad must be very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                  Uncle Vlad must be very happy.
                  I'd say so, other wise this wouldn't have been burried before last year's election.

The effectiveness of the committee, which has not sat since the 2019 election, has been questioned in the past.
                  It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.

Comment

Nothing to see here, says UK government junior...
                    In a statement, the UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace disputed a report in the Sunday Times that Defence Chiefs were planning to cut the armed forces.

Comment

I see the PM has left his aide in No. 10 in order to go visit secure locations including MI5/6 and the SAS/SBS and Porton Down:

Comment

Is he the Demon Headmaster or something, He gets rid of the Head of the Civil Service (& national security advisor), gets clearance for these visits, and to make it even more bizarre an MP threatens the Chief of the Defence Staff in Parliament with Cummings is going to "sort you out".

Comment

I'm sure we have nothing to fear from a visit like that by an unelected adviser who lived for many years in Russia and speaks fluent Russian.

(Worth remembering he was the one responsible for the Spectator Cartoon of Mohammad with a bomb in his turban).

How did someone like him become so powerful is what I want to know, and where can I apply for the Job?

Comment

I'm convinced he's the most dangerous man in the country at the moment, definitely the most powerful. And I wonder who is pulling his strings.
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                              I'm convinced he's the most dangerous man in the country at the moment, definitely the most powerful. And I wonder who is pulling his strings.
                              Without a doubt, let's not forget this is a man who struggled to get clearance to work with Michael Gove in the Department for Education.

I defently get a Manchurian Candaidate fealing about the working relationship between him, Borris and Michael Gove.

Comment

Working...
                              X