Carrier fire in San Deigo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the 500 ship navy?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      It's a fantasy that will never happen.

Comment

It is now 355 by 2034; the 500 ship Navy was a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
          It is now 355 by 2034; the 500 ship Navy was a long time ago.
          And that from memory is to include Unmanned hulls, and I guess the proposed new "small" Marine hulls. At the rate they are going I half expect the Cruisers will never be replaced, the new DDG design that they are talking about starting up at about 13K will end up having to replace the Burkes and the Cruisers.

Comment

The decision has been made to scrap her:
            This post has been updated with additional historical details. The Navy decided to scrap the amphibious assault ship that burned for nearly five days earlier this year, concluding after months of investigations that trying to rebuild and restore the ship would take too much money and too much industrial base capacity. The July 12 fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) began in the lower vehicle storage area but ravaged the island, the mast and the flight deck as it burned its way through the inside of the big-deck amphib. The ship remained watertight throughout the ordeal and hasn’t been moved

Comment

You would build a replacement quicker than it would take to rebuild her, and have the flight deck f35 ready.

Comment

Well the USN is charging a sailor with Arson for the loss of the Bonhomme Richard, I imagine his court-martial is going to be “interesting”
                The US Navy has charged a sailor in connection with the 2020 fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard amphibious warship while it was in port in San Diego, a Navy spokesperson said Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                  Well the USN is charging a sailor with Arson for the loss of the Bonhomme Richard, I imagine his court-martial is going to be “interesting”
                  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/29/p...ged/index.html
                  I hear it is the most costly single incident of criminal damage of all time.
                  where do you even start with that?

Comment

I hear it is the most costly single incident of criminal damage of all time.
                    where do you even start with that?
                    Is it more expensive than the SSN arson a few years back?

Comment

I take it that a deduction from pay for Barrack Damages won't cover it .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

USS Bonhomme Richard fire spread wildly due to ‘repeated failures,’ investigation finds (navytimes.com)

This does not bode well for the standard of training in the USN.
                        Interesting to see the Skipper, XO and Master chief are all expected to be charged. They let standards fall

Comment

Shocking list of failures at all levels!

Comment

A sailor charged in connection with starting a fire that destroyed a Navy warship while it was docked in San Diego has been found not guilty.

t Sailor charged with starting fire that destroyed Navy ship found not guilty | CNN Politics

Port of San Diego Harbor Police Department boats combat a fire on board USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) at Naval Base San Diego, July 12. Lt. John J. Mike/US Navy CNN

A sailor charged in connection with starting a fire that destroyed a Navy warship while it was docked in San Diego has been found not guilty.

Seaman Recruit Ryan Mays was acquitted on charges of willful hazarding of a vessel and aggravated arson, the Navy said in a statement, following a court martial in which a judge ruled there was not enough evidence that Mays set the fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard more than two years ago.

After the judge issued the verdict, Mays collapsed on the table and sobbed, his defense attorney Gary Barthel said, feeling as if a thousand-pound weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Outside the courthouse, Mays said he was “grateful that this is finally over” and called it “the hardest two years of my entire life.”

“I’ve lost time with friends. I’ve lost friends. I’ve lost time with family, and my entire Navy career was ruined,” Mays said. “I am looking forward to starting over.”

A Navy spokesperson, Cmdr. Sean Robertson with the US 3rd Fleet, told CNN in a statement, “Seaman Recruit Mays was found not guilty on the charges of willful hazarding of a vessel and aggravated arson. The Navy is committed to upholding the principles of due process and a fair trial.”

The fire on board the amphibious assault ship raged for four days before it was finally extinguished, destroying the ship and forcing the Navy to scrap the billion-dollar vessel. The USS Bonhomme Richard had been in port for upgrades to allow it to accommodate Marine Corps F-35B fighter jets when the fire broke out.

One year after the fire, the Navy charged that Mays was responsible. Mays had been a member of the ship’s crew at the time.

But Mays’ defense attorney said the evidence was never strong and that the judge recommended at the preliminary hearing that the case not go forward.

“My take on this case from the very beginning is that it was a weak case,” Barthel said.

Still, the command pushed forward with the court martial, leading to the two-week trial and, ultimately, a not guilty verdict.

Barthel said the Navy needed someone to blame for a fire that destroyed an entire ship instead of acknowledging the problems on board the ship that allowed the fire to spread.

A Navy investigation released last October found the fire was “clearly preventable” and was the result of a series of systematic failures.

The cascade of errors and breakdowns involved 36 Navy personnel, the investigation found, including the commander of the USS Bonhomme Richard and five admirals, who failed to maintain the ship, ensure adequate training, provide shore support, or carry out proper oversight.

Even before the fire, the condition on the ship was “significantly degraded,” the investigation found, including firefighting equipment, heat detection capability and communications equipment, allowing the flames to spread more quickly. Meanwhile, the ship’s crew had failed firefighting drills, including a repeated inability to apply firefighting chemicals during drills on 14 straight occasions leading up to the fire.

In July, the Navy announced that it would punish more than 20 sailors for the fire. The most serious actions focused on the leadership of the warship and the fire response team. The ship’s former commanding officer, Capt. Gregory Scott Thoroman, and former executive officer, Capt. Michael Ray, received punitive letters of reprimand and forfeiture of pay. The former command master chief, Jose Hernandez, received a punitive letter of reprimand.

CNN’s Barbara Starr contributed to this report
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Good for him. It was surprising that a fire which burnt for 4 days on a modern warship was criminally blamed on one man, at the bottom of the ladder, and not those responsible for ensuring safety precautions were in place.

Comment

Good for him. It was surprising that a fire which burnt for 4 days on a modern warship was criminally blamed on one man, at the bottom of the ladder, and not those responsible for ensuring safety precautions were in place.
                                Even if cause was arson?

Comment

Working...
                                X