Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has happened

Happened to Aisling in 1986, chippies store below the Gun deck went up
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The morning after:

Comment

You'd be surprised the amount of locations that where under renovation, which cought fire due to something as simple as leaving a heater on (you know the ones that say "Do Not Cover") ether covered with wet clothes to dry, or extremely close to combustible materials, overnight or over the weekend.
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

here's the place https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...4d-117.1610838
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            Surprising that Bonhomme Richard is actually shown in that photo.
            I see some lamenting that the USN will lose a vital F35 capable asset, but it isn't like they are short of flat tops compared to the rest of the world, are they?
            Let it burn down to the waterline, tow it out to a safe place, what happens happens. Nobody has died, so far.
            I also don't like the reporting of the injured suffering "smoke inhalation", as if they just got the whiff of smoke. Smoke inhalation is when the smoke, (actually burning gasses) burns the lining of the airway and lungs, causing swelling of these passages, and restricting breathing. It is the number 1 cause of death related to fires. The more accurate term is "internal burns". Those who suffer will become more exposed to other airborne infections. I hope they make a fast recovery and that Covid19 is under control in whatever San Diego hospital they are sent to.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The USS Bonhomme Richard was just coming to the end of a $250m refit.

If she stays afloat then she will be next years Sinkex.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                The USS Bonhomme Richard was just coming to the end of a $250m refit.

If she stays afloat then she will be next years Sinkex.
                Given she's got a million gallons of oil onboard the harbour better hope she stays afloat, though I imagine she might be kept for some time for a "lessons learned" exercise before a Sinkex, no way she'll ever sail again.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  It's also the ship in question on the pier in the Google image , would the ship always use the same pier whenever in San Diego ?
                  Last edited by Laners; 13 July 2020, 18:24.
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    It's also the ship in question on the pier in the Google image , would the ship always use the same pier whenever in San Diego ?
                    Map data says ©2020 so the Image might have been taken recently.
                    I believe a number of mapping companies have taken the opportunity of reduced commercial airline traffic during COVID-19 to update their Mapping Images.
                    Last edited by CTU; 13 July 2020, 19:51.
                    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

It looks like they finally have the fire under control, there does not seem to be as much damage to the island as was being reported. Still time will tell if she can be saved. In the mean time I am sure the USN will be looking at re-activating some of its reserve fleet of Tarawa class vessels.

Comment

I think the intention was to have all flat tops F35 capable and I'm not sure if the Tarawa are large enough

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                          I think the intention was to have all flat tops F35 capable and I'm not sure if the Tarawa are large enough
                          That was the intention, it was the purpose of the refit that the Bonhomme Richard was in for.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                            That was the intention, it was the purpose of the refit that the Bonhomme Richard was in for.
                            Well the Wasp were designed as an upgrade to the Tarawa to take fixed wing and LCAC, so I doubt it would be worthwhile for an in reserve Tarawa to replace a Pre-conversion wasp. Tarawa can't take LCAC either. No longer fits the Marine Expeditionary group picture of Ospreys, LCACS and F35s. It was designed to work fine for AMTRAKs, Sea Knights and Hueycobras.

Comment

This may be an odd question. But are the US Naval vessels insured for damages of this nature(accidental fire during maintenance rather than combat)? Or is it the taxpayer footing the bill?
                              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Depends where the blame will be laid. I'd say USN are trying to pass it onto a Civvy Contractor, but ultimately it happened on their property so I'd say the US taxpayer will foot the bill from an already gigantic defence budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X