No announcement yet.

Time to get rid of sexist rank titles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think “Sailor” would cover it nicely (not that I had even thought about it until this morning).

Mind you, I think it’ll take more than a change in title to get enough bods to sort out the recruitment and retention problem...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

So the Canadians want their navy to become more inclusive by introducing a gender neutral title of sailor instead of seaman and the ranks of ordinary and able changed to second class and first class sailor , sounds like it's self defeating by introducing class distinction .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Remember cousin "Itt" from the Adams Family whose offspring was named "what ", now there's an idea .
        Congratulations on your promotion from Second Class What, to a First Class Itt .
        Last edited by Laners; 27 July 2020, 23:40.
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

An Able Body is discriminatory against those with disabilities ... I demand that it cease immediately

Comment

Eons ago when I work in aviation the front end business office of the aircraft was called a 'cock pit' until some genius put two women into it and it became a flight deck as opposed to the obvious and prefered 'C*nt deck'

Its all a load of crap. If the DF needs to be tailored to meet the requirements of those so easily offended its time the barracks gates were shut and everyone looks for a new job....
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Eons ago when I work in aviation the front end business office of the aircraft was called a 'cock pit' until some genius put two women into it and it became a flight deck as opposed to the obvious and prefered 'C*nt deck'

Its all a load of crap. If the DF needs to be tailored to meet the requirements of those so easily offended its time the barracks gates were shut and everyone looks for a new job....
              We all thought that until A7 came in.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                We all thought that until A7 came in.
                And look where that got us......

it gave people the right to make unfounded allegations that seniors listened to in fear of their own careers, as we both well know.

What I did learn from it that the decision makers at reserve weren't qualified to make decisions relevant to their posts and those they sought advice from had not more interest than the man in the moon.

Some good guys were shafted and those who tried to stand up for them were equally shafted. The DF is not a society run on fanciful populist notions and they never have place in it.

Even considering this type of crap undermines any semblance of the reality of people who push these agendas.

Down with this sort of thing!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                  So the Canadians want their navy to become more inclusive by introducing a gender neutral title of sailor instead of seaman and the ranks of ordinary and able changed to second class and first class sailor , sounds like it's self defeating by introducing class distinction .
                  Thinking about it, maybe they should go with Privateer

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                  It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                  It was the year everything changed.

Comment

How about "deckhand " it's gender neutral , just need to come up with something to replace ships steward .
                    Decker?

Comment

How about "deckhand " it's gender neutral , just need to come up with something to replace ships steward .
                      Decker?

Comment

Is there an echo in here?
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                          Decker?
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

So will the term "she" when referring to a ship be replaced with "it"
                            Not in Russia - apparently, naval vessels are referred to in the masculine version
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Thinking of Russia / USSR. How about -

Sea Comrade?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                                Decker?
                                As Seanie Smith used to say... 'hey Murfs... get down to the paint locker,...chipping hammer and wire brush....and .. give me a fag.....' rank or gender description has no place in a paint store! or with a highly respected Bosun

Comment

Working...
                                X