Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    UNIFIL Ship Caught in massive blast

    AFP are reporting that a ship berthed in Beirut assigned to UNIFIL has been caught in the huge blast and has many casualties many serious. This is on top of the 80 civilians dead and 3700 injured when a fire at a fireworks factory detonated 2700 tonnes of amonium nitrate.
    Sarsfield

  2. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23,280
    Post Thanks / Like

  4. #3
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    All IrishPolish Bn accounted for and safe
    https://twitter.com/irishpolbatt/sta...772654083?s=21

  5. #4
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reports coming in state that it is the BNS BIJOY of the the UNIFIL Maritime Task Force. A former RN Castle class OPV transferred to the Bangladeshi navy.
    Sarsfield

  6. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
  7. #5
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarsfield View Post
    Reports coming in state that it is the BNS BIJOY of the the UNIFIL Maritime Task Force. A former RN Castle class OPV transferred to the Bangladeshi navy.
    One of the Old Falkland Island patrol ships? 19 injured it is being reported.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  8. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  9. #6
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    The situation on the ground is quite chaotic to be fair, the destruction caused by the explosion is huge. Questions being asked now about how ships due to unload in the port will manage, and what is the short term impact for food supplies in Lebanon.
    Official reports are saying the explosion was over 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, seized from a ship trying to smuggle it through the embargo


    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  10. #7
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully the words of condolence of yesterday will turn into actions today, Lebanon needs help, it has suffered too much. While we (EU) should do everything we can to help in the response to the immediate effects of the explosion we should go further. Lebanon was already suffering high food price inflation, the army had to go veggie some months back, the EU needs to pump food aid into the country. While they yet again mourn their losses let us show them that we can rise up the challenge to help them get their country back on its feet.

  11. Likes CTU liked this post
  12. #8
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a turning point for Lebanon. Only 20% of wheat used in food is locally produced, the rest imported. The silo holding it all was demolished yesterday.
    Who will help Lebanon get back on its feet? Israel.is best placed but won't while certain Israeli circles blame Lebanon for supporting Hezballah in Palestine. The Arab world wont help because Lebanon isn't Arab.with any other leadership Turkey would help, but doubtful with the current gobshite in charge.
    If help is not forthcoming then Lebanon will soon collapse.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  13. Likes CTU liked this post
  14. #9
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    This is a turning point for Lebanon. Only 20% of wheat used in food is locally produced, the rest imported. The silo holding it all was demolished yesterday.
    Who will help Lebanon get back on its feet? Israel.is best placed but won't while certain Israeli circles blame Lebanon for supporting Hezballah in Palestine. The Arab world wont help because Lebanon isn't Arab.with any other leadership Turkey would help, but doubtful with the current gobshite in charge.
    If help is not forthcoming then Lebanon will soon collapse.
    This is a chance for the EU to take a leading role. Already through UNIFIL, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Finland and ourselves have resources in-country. We have invested militarily now we need to do it on the humanitarian front. We can also forget the "Great Brain Leader" as he thinks it was a bomb and once he starts off down the wrong track it is impossible to turn him around. Europe need not and should not wait to show leadership. Even Israel has offer help!

  15. Likes DeV liked this post
  16. #10
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least 2 Bangladesh crew killed in the explosion.
    https://www.dhakatribune.com/banglad...n-beirut-blast

    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  17. Thanks DeV, EUFighter, hptmurphy thanked for this post
  18. #11
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    This is a turning point for Lebanon. Only 20% of wheat used in food is locally produced, the rest imported. The silo holding it all was demolished yesterday.
    Who will help Lebanon get back on its feet? Israel.is best placed but won't while certain Israeli circles blame Lebanon for supporting Hezballah in Palestine. The Arab world wont help because Lebanon isn't Arab.with any other leadership Turkey would help, but doubtful with the current gobshite in charge.
    If help is not forthcoming then Lebanon will soon collapse.
    Not forgetting the 900,000 Syrian refugees currently in Lebanon

  19. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
  20. #12
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    At least 2 Bangladesh crew killed in the explosion.
    https://www.dhakatribune.com/banglad...n-beirut-blast

    They are extremely lucky that they were moored where they are, it looks like the grain silos have acted like a giant blast deflector. Their location was well within the radius at which the blast completely destroyed many of the buildings which have been shown.

  21. #13
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://twitter.com/abdulmoiz1990/st...753511424?s=09

    Qatar sending a C17 with 2 field hospitals.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  22. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter liked this post
  23. #14
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    10,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if we have similar stores of ammonium nitrate anywhere
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  24. #15
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Does anyone know if we have similar stores of ammonium nitrate anywhere
    The maximum is 50,000kg

  25. #16
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    For years we had 2 factories producing fertilizers, one in Cork, one in Arklow.
    Every evening a train full of the above made the journey from one to the other. Locally we called that train the "time bomb".
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  26. Thanks EUFighter, hptmurphy, DeV thanked for this post
  27. #17
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23,280
    Post Thanks / Like

  28. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti liked this post
  29. #18
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    This is a chance for the EU to take a leading role. Already through UNIFIL, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Finland and ourselves have resources in-country. We have invested militarily now we need to do it on the humanitarian front. We can also forget the "Great Brain Leader" as he thinks it was a bomb and once he starts off down the wrong track it is impossible to turn him around. Europe need not and should not wait to show leadership. Even Israel has offer help!
    Trump said his 'Generals who are fantastic' thought it was a bomb , so when he is challenged on the subject of it being a bomb he can say it was his ' not so fantastic Generals' who said it, thus passing the buck , the Generals can't openly defend themselves and will be blamed by Trumps' fan base as trying to undermine the President and make him look bad ,and that it is all a conspiracy by the Democrats .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  30. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Herald liked this post
  31. #19
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Trump said his 'Generals who are fantastic' thought it was a bomb , so when he is challenged on the subject of it being a bomb he can say it was his ' not so fantastic Generals' who said it, thus passing the buck , the Generals can't openly defend themselves and will be blamed by Trumps' fan base as trying to undermine the President and make him look bad ,and that it is all a conspiracy by the Democrats .
    For "Generals"; read TV pundit.
    There were a few on cable news who were claiming based upon their experience it was not Ammo Nitrate!
    Their whole argument was that the mushroom cloud should have been yellow. They seem to not know that the red colour was debris and the red dust can be seen in many of today's photos.

  32. #20
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO the people of Lebanon have good reason to be angry with their politicians.
    This material was impounded in 2013. It was not some importer who was storing the ammonium nitrate but the government. Why had it not been disposed of before? Why did they store a know explosive substance in the middle of the city?
    Also why was there a fireworks factory/warehouse next to it? While ammonium nitrate is relatively inert the same cannot be said for fireworks factories/warehouses. Such a factory/warehouse should never be near a population centre.

  33. #21
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    IMHO the people of Lebanon have good reason to be angry with their politicians.
    This material was impounded in 2013. It was not some importer who was storing the ammonium nitrate but the government. Why had it not been disposed of before? Why did they store a know explosive substance in the middle of the city?
    Also why was there a fireworks factory/warehouse next to it? While ammonium nitrate is relatively inert the same cannot be said for fireworks factories/warehouses. Such a factory/warehouse should never be near a population centre.
    The people who first impounded it are on record seeking alternative storage, stating that where it was stored was unsuitable in the long term. Nothing was done.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  34. Thanks DeV, EUFighter thanked for this post
  35. #22
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see the EU has activated its Civil Protection Mechanism co-ordinate aid. France is sending aid and the Elysee Palace has said French members of UNIFIL are already assisting.

    Plus Quatar, Kuwait, Turkey and Iraq are sending in plane-loads of medical supplies and field hospitals.

    Source: CNN
    Last edited by Flamingo; 5th August 2020 at 15:07.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  36. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  37. #23
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scarey pictures before and after (may not work on phones) https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/05/w...rnd/index.html
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  38. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  39. #24
    Commandant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Scarey pictures before and after (may not work on phones) https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/05/w...rnd/index.html
    You can really see just how lucky the Bangladeshi navy ship was to be behind the silo.

  40. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  41. #25
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    IMHO the people of Lebanon have good reason to be angry with their politicians.
    This material was impounded in 2013. It was not some importer who was storing the ammonium nitrate but the government. Why had it not been disposed of before? Why did they store a know explosive substance in the middle of the city?
    Also why was there a fireworks factory/warehouse next to it? While ammonium nitrate is relatively inert the same cannot be said for fireworks factories/warehouses. Such a factory/warehouse should never be near a population centre.
    Exactly what occurred to me (bold text)
    Substance of an explosive nature should have been stored out in the sticks well away from any populated areas
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •