X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference on OPVs

Anybody from the NS going?

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
    They have sent a delegation in the past.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      Going? Where ? It's an online event.

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
        Going? Where ? It's an online event.
        How will they justify the huge conference fees they normally charge for this event? Book early and it'll only cost your government €2500.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          How will they justify the huge conference fees they normally charge for this event? Book early and it'll only cost your government €2500.
          Well, I suppose theres an argument to be made for the benefits of actual human to human contact.

If I recall correctly, this event was actually held in the Conference Centre 2/3 years ago, I remember meeting an ex colleague from Belgium for a cup of coffee on the fringes, who still worked for the same company we had both worked at previously, who was over for it, or at least something similar.

Comment

Government and military attendees free

Comment

Well, I suppose theres an argument to be made for the benefits of actual human to human contact.

If I recall correctly, this event was actually held in the Conference Centre 2/3 years ago, I remember meeting an ex colleague from Belgium for a cup of coffee on the fringes, who still worked for the same company we had both worked at previously, who was over for it, or at least something similar.
              It was September 2014 at Conference Centre Dublin. Irish Naval Officer Adm Mellett made an address, also MOD at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                It was September 2014 at Conference Centre Dublin. Irish Naval Officer Adm Mellett made an address, also MOD at the time.
                2014? You're right! Time flies and I'm getting old(er)!

Comment

We were introducing the P60 into service at the time, MM being the force behind it had much to say and I'm sure the design house made many new potential customers as a result of this.

Comment

Listening to something on the radio today where a guy reckoned while all the tech talk is done on line these days as opposed to at conferences etc, the real innovative stuff was often done out side of the conference centre with guys banging heads and bouncing ideas in the facilities after events and this is the value lost by not having face to face meetings.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Conferences are where "Papers" are presented, a bit like peer review but more interactive. Normally it is not the case that within a conference there will be new technical innovation but some can happen especially when the conference has working groups attached to it. While many have become more familiar with webinars and they are a great tool they have sever limitations in terms of active participation. Also we are human and still depend a lot on physical contact in all its forms. Thus meeting up with someone physically is much different than a virtual meeting. This is especially true when it come to trust and respect. To get the real title of expert, and not the media title of expert it takes a trust and respect. This is normally gained at conferences.

The costs behind the conference while not massive are still there even with a virtual event. Remember these conferences are organised by private firms which of course do it to make a profit. They will have a team working on this all year, and it are those costs which have to be covered.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                        Conferences are where "Papers" are presented, a bit like peer review but more interactive. Normally it is not the case that within a conference there will be new technical innovation but some can happen especially when the conference has working groups attached to it. While many have become more familiar with webinars and they are a great tool they have sever limitations in terms of active participation. Also we are human and still depend a lot on physical contact in all its forms. Thus meeting up with someone physically is much different than a virtual meeting. This is especially true when it come to trust and respect. To get the real title of expert, and not the media title of expert it takes a trust and respect. This is normally gained at conferences.

The costs behind the conference while not massive are still there even with a virtual event. Remember these conferences are organised by private firms which of course do it to make a profit. They will have a team working on this all year, and it are those costs which have to be covered.
                        The biggest question for Naval and defence organisations is allied to Cyber Security and the susceptibility of Operational Technology and to an extent Information Technology to hacking. Much Operational technology is updated , operated, and activated by system inputs not least ECDIS but also critical systems such as weapons and emergency systems aboard ships or launch sites. It's possible for something simple, like dumping systems on board ship, to be instructed to dump waste oil in a harbour, or wrong information to ECDIS via satellite. I believe there is a case that open continuous contact with a ship or ships, especially when the Command does not know the content or definite sources, should not be possible , and is absolutely unnecessary on crewed ships.
                        Right now we are in the aftermath of major Operational Technology lapses in Banks and daily capturing of masses of data. With the growth of entities claiming to stop all these occurrences , it is difficult to know who is gamekeeper or who is hunter. For Safety and Integrity there must be a point that always devolves solely to Human Control and decision. We are in danger of being blinded by Science.
                        Last edited by ancientmariner; 21 August 2020, 10:44.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          The biggest question for Naval and defence organisations is allied to Cyber Security and the susceptibility of Operational Technology and to an extent Information Technology to hacking. Much Operational technology is updated , operated, and activated by system inputs not least ECDIS but also critical systems such as weapons and emergency systems aboard ships or launch sites. It's possible for something simple, like dumping systems on board ship, to be instructed to dump waste oil in a harbour, or wrong information to ECDIS via satellite. I believe there is a case that open continuous contact with a ship or ships, especially when the Command does not know the content or definite sources, should not be possible , and is absolutely unnecessary on crewed ships.
                          Right now we are in the aftermath of major Operational Technology lapses in Banks and daily capturing of masses of data. With the growth of entities claiming to stop all these occurrences , it is difficult to know who is gamekeeper or who is hunter. For Safety and Integrity there must be a point that always devolves solely to Human Control and decision. We are in danger of being blinded by Science.
                          There was some discussion lately about one of the main internet security providers, with a base in Ireland, was actually identifying internet security weaknesses and passing them to Russian intelligence.
                          But they say poachers make the best gamekeepers....

Comment

There was some discussion lately about one of the main internet security providers, with a base in Ireland, was actually identifying internet security weaknesses and passing them to Russian intelligence.
                            But they say poachers make the best gamekeepers....
                            Maybe to a point. However a decision to keep out actors messing around, or with access to Defence Operational Technology, should be implemented. We are somewhat lucky the the controlling software for Nuclear Deterrence is from the 1970's. As far as ships go there should be Zero access to systems except by post or hand delivered update CD's. Certainly not when your turned in !

Comment

Call me old fashioned but there is a lot to be said for manual chart corrections, on paper charts, and NTMs printed and filed for reference down the road.
                              I have never used ECDIS but like all software, you are only one wrong upgrade away from disaster. The Long delayed report into the Coastguard Heli crash will tell us that.
                              Whatever about accidental errors, the potential to cause deliberate errors to mapping or navaid software needs to be examined. Can we rely on the integrity of commercially provided systems?

Comment

Working...
                              X