Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A Familiar Face Across The Small Pond

Well I remember reading about this individual signing up, and thought it was a windup at the time, but no, here is an interview with said same personality
    Open the link below and click on the Oct-Dec 2018 button to down three issues in one PDF document
    Then go to Page 224 of the PDF document...

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-eve...18%2F09%2F2020
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

2. Likes DeV liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for him. Couldn't see us taking someone as old as him.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Well I remember reading about this individual signing up, and thought it was a windup at the time, but no, here is an interview with said same personality
    Open the link below and click on the Oct-Dec 2018 button to down three issues in one PDF document
    Then go to Page 224 of the PDF document...

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-eve...18%2F09%2F2020
    They had him on the instagram story for the British Army a few months back. A piece promoting both the AR and army boxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Good for him. Couldn't see us taking someone as old as him.
    If he had joined the RDF at the time he joined the BA AR he was 4 years beyond retirement age

Other ranks joining RDF after 1/10/05 retire at 50 (60 if joined before that)

Edited it was 2005 not 2015
    Last edited by DeV; 18th September 2020 at 23:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any opinions on the move down to 50? It seems to be a double-edged sword to me.

If the RDF was recruiting to capacity and retaining members, it would keep the age profile down and maintain the regular opening of senior NCO and officer roles

However, it does dissuade those in their 30s plus joining even if they are motivated as they will only get a well shortened reserve career. Max fifteen years if you join just before your 35th birthday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Any opinions on the move down to 50? It seems to be a double-edged sword to me.

If the RDF was recruiting to capacity and retaining members, it would keep the age profile down and maintain the regular opening of senior NCO and officer roles

However, it does dissuade those in their 30s plus joining even if they are motivated as they will only get a well shortened reserve career. Max fifteen years if you join just before your 35th birthday.
    Edited my post it was 2005 not 2015

Imho zero effect, most people who join do so between 18 and 21 although that appears to have increased to maybe 25
    Most service 2 years although again that seems to have increased as well to maybe 4 years

Post Thanks / Like
    My own opinion - a lot of merit to the Brit approach for AR recruitment with regard to upper age limits

Not everyone has to be a super fit, young, run around the hills merchant

The increased upper age limits for certain British AR appointments reflects this

For instance, if you were a squaddie acting the b****cks on a night out, 50 odd years old and all, would YOU want to fk about with Steve Collins if he arrived with an MP patrol???
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

9. Likes EUFighter, na grohmiti, DeV liked this post

Thread Information