Ranger Wing Selection - Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger Wing Selection - Officers

In the US Army, it is an unwritten rule that any career conscious active duty infantry officer will have completed ranger school. Failing the school or not completing essentially ensures a short and unsuccessful career. I do understand that Ranger school is a leadership school more than anything else and a completely different beast to our ranger selection which is special forces skills focused. They are chalk and cheese.

My question however relates to how the ranger wing selection course and having completed it impacts the career of an infantry officer in our army. Does it matter if an infantry officer completes the course or not if they don't have interest beyond the conventional role? Is it a serious string to an officer's bow to have completed selection with regards future promotability as it is an arduous course if anything?

I'm assuming that limitations on course enrolment for officers limits this being a career prerequisite for infantry officers specifically?

The course is extremely hard and challenging, now lasting some 9 months. Those that get through it tend to be the more driven and focussed people of all ranks. These also tend to be the more promotable.

There are only 3 generals at present (that I can think of) that have completed the course. Remember, the highest rank in the ARW is Comdt. Okay, there is a SOF Lt Col appointment elsewhere in the establishment. Being OC ARW would make you a shoe in for Lt Col but thats all.

Most ex ARW officers end up leaving the DF as they do not want to deal with the bullshit that goes with the normal army when they are used to working with highly motivated and driven people with as many resources as they can be given.
    Last edited by Fantasia; 14 October 2020, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
      The course is extremely hard and challenging, now lasting some 9 months. Those that get through it tend to be the more driven and focussed people of all ranks. These also tend to be the more promotable.

There are only 3 generals at present (that I can think of) that have completed the course. Remember, the highest rank in the ARW is Comdt. Okay, there is a SOF Lt Col appointment elsewhere in the establishment. Being OC ARW would make you a shoe in for Lt Col but thats all.
      I think I get you. So limited increased promotability due to specifically having completed the course due to the narrow band of SOF appointments within the DF
      BUT
      the type of soldier who completes is generally far more motivated anyway so much more likely to move up the ladder due to these qualities.

Comment

The two or three who've trained me in one thing or another since they've left it have impressed me anyway.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Completing SOFQ (formerly called Selection) was not a guarantee that an officer candidate would end up serving with the unit. Don't know if this has changed since or not.
          A former FCA colleague of mine ended up passing Selection and did not one but two stints with the ARW, which was apparently unheard of at the time
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Does anyone know the steps required for an officer to serve in the unit? I know the minimum rank is captain but can a lieutenant pass selection and be then promoted to captain and head straight to the unit or will they be returned to the regular army for some experience first? Thanks

Comment

Lt's can pass SOFQ Module 1 and then have to RTU in order to wait for the next Module 2 to Class up. Sometimes they do Module 2 straight after and then RTU. Usually Lt's won't be offered an appointment until there is a vacancy for Capt in the unit.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
              X