• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done LTS
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

PDF strength interesting to watch. First peacekeeping mission 1958 , their low point 1951

Comment

On quick glance though, PDF numbers have remained mostly steady since after The Emergency. The current figures are not even the lowest strength reached. The FCA/RDF numbers impact the overall view greatly, coming from a post-Emergency level of 30,000 or so, to the current dismal sub 2000 level.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          On quick glance though, PDF numbers have remained mostly steady since after The Emergency. The current figures are not even the lowest strength reached. The FCA/RDF numbers impact the overall view greatly, coming from a post-Emergency level of 30,000 or so, to the current dismal sub 2000 level.
          Fair enough, but what was the corresponding establishment figure at the time?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            Fair enough, but what was the corresponding establishment figure at the time?
            You'd need to go back through the years to watch it change; the answers are asked now and then in the PQ's

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              You'd need to go back through the years to watch it change; the answers are asked now and then in the PQ's
              Went back to have a look. The establishment of the DF is remarkably clear post emergency, and doesn't change until the late 60s.

PDF establishment goes down to 12500 post emergency, I can't seem to find a definitive figure for the emergency establishment but for some reason the figure 40,000 is stuck in my head. So the PDF was massively under its establishment through the whole of the 1950s into the start of our UN contributions and the Congo in the 60s.

RDF establishment goes from 60,000 post emergency to 22,000 in 1951 I believe and stays there until the late 60s too.

So establishment doesn't change at all really for nearly 20 years, I'd imagine the will to maintain it did though.

Comment

I see it rallied back to 8572 at the end of 2020.
                Defence Forces Strength Dáil Éireann Debate, Thursday - 28 January 2021

Comment

RDF strength 1588 at start of 21
                  Defence Forces Reserve Dáil Éireann Debate, Wednesday - 3 February 2021

trend continues at same rapid decrease

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    graph

Hope this helps.
                    Is there an updated version of this available please?

Comment

For LT Smash's data 1946-69 data and the 2021 updates no, but any excel jockey is welcome to have a go, put a copy back here when your done

Comment

Leave it with me, I still have the original on my desktop.

Comment

graph

Have included RDF trendline plus other requested changes.

Comment

can you add the 2021 numbers from the PQ's or are they in there ? What are the grey dots

Comment

2021 figures are in there, even though it won't show on the date bar. , the grey dots are the Sitting Dáil at the time. currently 33, etc. Some Dáil have been better for the DF than others. The blue vertical lines (which I forgot to tag) show UNOC and UNIFIL commencement.

Comment

Defence Forces Strength – Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 – Parliamentary Questions (33rd Dáil) – Houses of the Oireachtas
                                PDF 8551 at end of February.
                                Reserve 1583 at end Jan.
                                Defence Forces Reserve – Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 – Parliamentary Questions (33rd Dáil) – Houses of the Oireachtas
                                Last edited by na grohmiti; 3 April 2021, 19:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X