Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like

PC World Gone Mad Top Marine general removed over use of a racial slur

Top Marine general removed after being investigated over use of a racial slur

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/top-...ry?id=73717785

Next thing you will be done for sing the songs

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not really PC gone mad. In this day and age everyone knows certain words are unacceptable. Someone in his position should definitely know better. He was the author of his own demise.

3. Likes Orion, Graylion liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the sound of things he ****ed up. Zero tolerance for this. He is supposed to lead by example at a time when the US is struggling with racism.

You can't do it like that. It's like slapping someone in the face and saying "don't slap people in the face!"
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

5. Likes DeV, Orion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He completely screwed up. Everyone should know not to use this language in this day and age but when it comes to it, there is a far higher standard required from a two star than there is from a private or corporal.

7. Likes na grohmiti, Orion liked this post
    Private 3* The Connaught Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apc View Post

Next thing you will be done for sing the songs
    And sometimes, the songs are also inappropriate too. While you can't look at old attitudes in judgement based on our beliefs now, it is clear too what is, and what is not acceptable, especially for a person in command. If it's ok for a general, it's ok for all serving under them

9. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Connaught Ranger View Post
    And sometimes, the songs are also inappropriate too. While you can't look at old attitudes in judgement based on our beliefs now, it is clear too what is, and what is not acceptable, especially for a person in command. If it's ok for a general, it's ok for all serving under them
    I still firmly believe anyone in the DF who sings or plays Sean South should be instantly dismissed from the organisation.

11. Thanks apod, Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes apod, spider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I still firmly believe anyone in the DF who sings or plays Sean South should be instantly dismissed from the organisation.
    It's a catchy old tune though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely, the IRA where the organisation that led to more splinters than a tree struck by lightning, one of which was responsible for the death of Pte. Patrick Kelly and other members of the DF and Garda.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's because it's an old Irish tune re-purposed, like a lot of those songs.

15. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Connaught Ranger View Post
    that's because it's an old Irish tune re-purposed, like a lot of those songs.
    Roddy McCorley, the bane of anyone who ever had to learn tin whistle. (Roddy himself was a United Irishman, and his Great- Grandson fought in the war of Independence).

17. Likes Flamingo, Orion liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should marines be discharged if found in possession of Rap music that contained words like N..... this and N..... that. Or just the White ones.?

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Should marines be discharged if found in possession of Rap music that contained words like N..... this and N..... that. Or just the White ones.?
    Thats exactly how it works. Its ok for some people to say it, but not others.
    Thats just how it is.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realise Jeremy Clarkson posted on here!

21. Thanks Auldsod, Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes X-RayOne liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I posted it I took it at face value and read to mean that in the context of the music being played how would they take it if he used that word. Now I know Im not getting the full story here, but obviously Im out of touch so in the interest fairness if I have offended anyone or caused upset I apologise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apc View Post
    When I posted it I took it at face value and read to mean that in the context of the music being played how would they take it if he used that word. Now I know Im not getting the full story here, but obviously Im out of touch so in the interest fairness if I have offended anyone or caused upset I apologise.
    Now if we were all insulted or offended, that would be the PC world gone mad!

Thick skins on here.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are just more used to tiptoeing around the snowflakes.

As an aside, on a recent Occupational First Aid course, our instructor told us when he did a course at a certain broadcasters HQ, the LBGTQ reps insisted on going through his course literature, to remove all suggestion that one gender may be weaker than other in certain physiological areas , even if said reference was a medically recorded fact. i.e women have greater incidence of heart disease.

That's the world we live in.

25. Dislikes Graylion disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are just more used to tiptoeing around the snowflakes.

As an aside, on a recent Occupational First Aid course, our instructor told us when he did a course at a certain broadcasters HQ, the LBGTQ reps insisted on going through his course literature, to remove all suggestion that one gender may be weaker than other in certain physiological areas , even if said reference was a medically recorded fact. i.e women have greater incidence of heart disease.

That's the world we live in.
    On my last refresher, it seemed that I was required to do everything possible to get some sort of permission from the unconscious patient, before I could touch them and try to save their life.
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

27. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    I didn't realise Jeremy Clarkson posted on here!
    We'll end on that bombshell.

29. Likes na grohmiti, Rocinante, Flamingo liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The unfortunate thing about PC Culture is that it largely achieved what it first set out to achieve, and then went way too far.

Currently, it is mostly about power. It's a way for people of a certain type to get their jollies by appointing themselves arbiters of the words and actions of others behind a smokescreen of righteousness and nobility.

Presumably they do it because they can't get their jollies by any other means

31. Likes DeV liked this post
    Dislikes Graylion disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a touchy subject over here at the minute. And like the rest of us, I only know whats in the public domain. A few things, having worked in an environment with multiple general officers (GO) from all the services. Reliving a GO is not taken lightly by any means. There would have been an investigation, all parties interviewed, statements taken, everything then reviewed by the lawyers before it went to the Commandant of the Corps. Given he was relived, there was probably some reasonable grounds for it. Gen Neary would have had the opportunity to tell his side of the story, seek advise from his lawyer, so it's not like he was arbitrarily fired. There is a very scripted process for this sort of thing, which if not followed, will have the whole thing thrown out.

In general terms, GO's are under very close scrutiny as we've had our share of scandals and the Chairman and the Secretary have drawn a line under this sort of thing. Words have meaning, and a GO's word carry's weight whether they mean it or not. The guidance is "senior leaders will ALWAYS model ethical behavior".

As far as PC, well that is subjective to some degree, however, in the military here, we need to do better. Yes, people need to be thick skinned, and one can be thick skinned without being subject to racial/gender based slurs, whether they mean it or not. Looking back over the arc of my time in uniform, there are certainly things I saw/heard which should not have been said and we're working in it. Will it be perfect, probably not, but it's like physical fitness, it's a constant process, not a "one and done". When people moan on about "being PC" I remind them its not about PC, its about being right and neutral, it really is that simple.

A

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes you wonder though. Previously, sailors got sacked for running a ship onto a rock or into another ship and the investigation usually found the infamous Swiss Cheese line of holes in the system, which contributed to the event. Now, if you repeat what is routinely said in a canteen or the wardroom, will get you the shove, tout suite. I'll bet that that Marine Officer had something else ticking the boxes against him and it wasn't just a single offense that got him chopped.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have been out of the system for too long.

35. Likes GoneToTheCanner liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Within modern policing organisations (and, I'd be willing to bet, military ones as well), the ruthless way in which breaches of PC norms are dealt with has a lot to do with the promotion system.

Those who hope to be promoted are expected to provide examples of cases in which they have seen improper conduct and taken firm action against it.

In such a system, if there is no real improper conduct to speak of - but you want your promotion - you have to seek it out. If you're having difficulty finding something suitable, you can always take an off-colour remark and make a meal out of it.
    Stamping out racism (real or imaginary, doesn't matter) is always a good look. Happy days.
    And if some poor gobshite has to suffer ruination as a result...welp, that's just too bad.

In recent years, kneeling at the altar has become at least as important for your promotion prospects as being efficient at your job.
    Needless to say, this is not conductive to having the right people in the right positions.
    It is a state of affairs that has done massive damage to organisations and to society as a whole.

Speaking of the dismissal of that Marine General, you can rest assured that at some point, somebody somewhere will be sticking it on their CV and/or bragging about it to a promotion board.

Political correctness is a means to an end for the ambitious and the petty.
    It ceased to be about anything else a long time ago.
    Last edited by FCA Trooper; 24th October 2020 at 04:28.

37. Likes GoneToTheCanner, Sluggie liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Modern society considers the following tv show racist, and you won't find it re-broadcast anywhere, even though it comes from the same writer as Dad's army, Hi-De-Hi, Are you being served, Allo Allo etc. All on the edge of risqué.
    It's not the casual racism that causes most offence, oddly, it is the homophobic abuse dished out. But the same era had an openly gay camp character exchanging innuendeo about a co-workers "pussy", while other shows main joke was the inability of the British to speak french, and the supposition that all french men of all ages had affairs with much younger women. Personally I think it is possibly the wittiest observational comedy on the last days of the Raj. I think the real problem most do-gooders have is the fact one character is in "blackface" even though he was born in India, and served as a Major in the brigade of Gurkhas, served in the Burma Campaign and was mentioned in dispatches. The fact too that the "natives" regularly get the upper hand, and the British establishment figures are generally buffoons may not sit well with polite british society.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FCA Trooper View Post
    Within modern policing organisations (and, I'd be willing to bet, military ones as well), the ruthless way in which breaches of PC norms are dealt with has a lot to do with the promotion system.

Those who hope to be promoted are expected to provide examples of cases in which they have seen improper conduct and taken firm action against it.

In such a system, if there is no real improper conduct to speak of - but you want your promotion - you have to seek it out. If you're having difficulty finding something suitable, you can always take an off-colour remark and make a meal out of it.
    Stamping out racism (real or imaginary, doesn't matter) is always a good look. Happy days.
    And if some poor gobshite has to suffer ruination as a result...welp, that's just too bad.

In recent years, kneeling at the altar has become at least as important for your promotion prospects as being efficient at your job.
    Needless to say, this is not conductive to having the right people in the right positions.
    It is a state of affairs that has done massive damage to organisations and to society as a whole.

Speaking of the dismissal of that Marine General, you can rest assured that at some point, somebody somewhere will be sticking it on their CV and/or bragging about it to a promotion board.

Political correctness is a means to an end for the ambitious and the petty.
    It ceased to be about anything else a long time ago.
    Basically. these self appointed SJWs are looking for a scalp that will up their standing in their group. Happened to Keven Myres, George Hook.
    The girl who flung liquid in to Leo' face is now a hero with her friends. I hate racism, but I hate more being policed be scrany weasels.
    Last edited by sofa; 24th October 2020 at 23:42.

Thread Information