Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Roddy McCorley, the bane of anyone who ever had to learn tin whistle. (Roddy himself was a United Irishman, and his Great- Grandson fought in the war of Independence).
    You can use the tune of Roddy McCorley and sing lyrics of The Sash and vice versa. Good one to stoke outrage.

2. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Basically. these self appointed SJWs are looking for a scalp that will up their standing in their group. Happened to Keven Myres, George Hook.
    The girl who flung liquid in to Leo' face is now a hero with her friends. I hate racism, but I hate more being policed be scrany weasels.
    Indeed. The disconcerting thing about it is that 95% of people would agree with you, and yet here we are.

Nobody voted for it, few people want it, and nobody can pinpoint when exactly it became possible to lose your livelihood for expressing an unapproved opinion. But it did become possible and it is possible. And it happened while nobody was looking.

The precedents are there, and they're recent, and they should tell us where the policing of speech and thought lead socities.
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, and that's exactly what we're doing.
    Last edited by FCA Trooper; 25th October 2020 at 14:30.

4. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Dislikes Graylion disliked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Thats exactly how it works. Its ok for some people to say it, but not others.
    Thats just how it is.
    I can call myself an a-hole. That doesn't mean you get to. POC can use the N word for themselves. That doesn't mean us white folk get to. Easy, isn't it?

6. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrgr View Post
    This is a touchy subject over here at the minute. And like the rest of us, I only know whats in the public domain. A few things, having worked in an environment with multiple general officers (GO) from all the services. Reliving a GO is not taken lightly by any means. There would have been an investigation, all parties interviewed, statements taken, everything then reviewed by the lawyers before it went to the Commandant of the Corps. Given he was relived, there was probably some reasonable grounds for it. Gen Neary would have had the opportunity to tell his side of the story, seek advise from his lawyer, so it's not like he was arbitrarily fired. There is a very scripted process for this sort of thing, which if not followed, will have the whole thing thrown out.

In general terms, GO's are under very close scrutiny as we've had our share of scandals and the Chairman and the Secretary have drawn a line under this sort of thing. Words have meaning, and a GO's word carry's weight whether they mean it or not. The guidance is "senior leaders will ALWAYS model ethical behavior".

As far as PC, well that is subjective to some degree, however, in the military here, we need to do better. Yes, people need to be thick skinned, and one can be thick skinned without being subject to racial/gender based slurs, whether they mean it or not. Looking back over the arc of my time in uniform, there are certainly things I saw/heard which should not have been said and we're working in it. Will it be perfect, probably not, but it's like physical fitness, it's a constant process, not a "one and done". When people moan on about "being PC" I remind them its not about PC, its about being right and neutral, it really is that simple.

A
    Thanks. If officers apply racial slurs to their brothers in arms, what does that say about their willingness to treat them equally, lay down their lives for them etc? Do they actually consider them brothers in arms?

8. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Basically. these self appointed SJWs are looking for a scalp that will up their standing in their group. Happened to Keven Myres, George Hook.
    Kevin Myers got scalped, but George Hook did the scalping - he was put on leave for 2 weeks, the SJW who went after him lost her job.

10. Thanks Flamingo, sofa thanked for this post

Thread Information