No announcement yet.

PC World Gone Mad Top Marine general removed over use of a racial slur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are just more used to tiptoeing around the snowflakes.

As an aside, on a recent Occupational First Aid course, our instructor told us when he did a course at a certain broadcasters HQ, the LBGTQ reps insisted on going through his course literature, to remove all suggestion that one gender may be weaker than other in certain physiological areas , even if said reference was a medically recorded fact. i.e women have greater incidence of heart disease.

That's the world we live in.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      We are just more used to tiptoeing around the snowflakes.

As an aside, on a recent Occupational First Aid course, our instructor told us when he did a course at a certain broadcasters HQ, the LBGTQ reps insisted on going through his course literature, to remove all suggestion that one gender may be weaker than other in certain physiological areas , even if said reference was a medically recorded fact. i.e women have greater incidence of heart disease.

That's the world we live in.
      On my last refresher, it seemed that I was required to do everything possible to get some sort of permission from the unconscious patient, before I could touch them and try to save their life.
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
        I didn't realise Jeremy Clarkson posted on here!
        We'll end on that bombshell.

Comment

The unfortunate thing about PC Culture is that it largely achieved what it first set out to achieve, and then went way too far.

Currently, it is mostly about power. It's a way for people of a certain type to get their jollies by appointing themselves arbiters of the words and actions of others behind a smokescreen of righteousness and nobility.

Presumably they do it because they can't get their jollies by any other means

Comment

This is a touchy subject over here at the minute. And like the rest of us, I only know whats in the public domain. A few things, having worked in an environment with multiple general officers (GO) from all the services. Reliving a GO is not taken lightly by any means. There would have been an investigation, all parties interviewed, statements taken, everything then reviewed by the lawyers before it went to the Commandant of the Corps. Given he was relived, there was probably some reasonable grounds for it. Gen Neary would have had the opportunity to tell his side of the story, seek advise from his lawyer, so it's not like he was arbitrarily fired. There is a very scripted process for this sort of thing, which if not followed, will have the whole thing thrown out.

In general terms, GO's are under very close scrutiny as we've had our share of scandals and the Chairman and the Secretary have drawn a line under this sort of thing. Words have meaning, and a GO's word carry's weight whether they mean it or not. The guidance is "senior leaders will ALWAYS model ethical behavior".

As far as PC, well that is subjective to some degree, however, in the military here, we need to do better. Yes, people need to be thick skinned, and one can be thick skinned without being subject to racial/gender based slurs, whether they mean it or not. Looking back over the arc of my time in uniform, there are certainly things I saw/heard which should not have been said and we're working in it. Will it be perfect, probably not, but it's like physical fitness, it's a constant process, not a "one and done". When people moan on about "being PC" I remind them its not about PC, its about being right and neutral, it really is that simple.

A

Comment

Makes you wonder though. Previously, sailors got sacked for running a ship onto a rock or into another ship and the investigation usually found the infamous Swiss Cheese line of holes in the system, which contributed to the event. Now, if you repeat what is routinely said in a canteen or the wardroom, will get you the shove, tout suite. I'll bet that that Marine Officer had something else ticking the boxes against him and it wasn't just a single offense that got him chopped.

Comment

You have been out of the system for too long.

Comment

Within modern policing organisations (and, I'd be willing to bet, military ones as well), the ruthless way in which breaches of PC norms are dealt with has a lot to do with the promotion system.

Those who hope to be promoted are expected to provide examples of cases in which they have seen improper conduct and taken firm action against it.

In such a system, if there is no real improper conduct to speak of - but you want your promotion - you have to seek it out. If you're having difficulty finding something suitable, you can always take an off-colour remark and make a meal out of it.
                  Stamping out racism (real or imaginary, doesn't matter) is always a good look. Happy days.
                  And if some poor gobshite has to suffer ruination as a result...welp, that's just too bad.

In recent years, kneeling at the altar has become at least as important for your promotion prospects as being efficient at your job.
                  Needless to say, this is not conductive to having the right people in the right positions.
                  It is a state of affairs that has done massive damage to organisations and to society as a whole.

Speaking of the dismissal of that Marine General, you can rest assured that at some point, somebody somewhere will be sticking it on their CV and/or bragging about it to a promotion board.

Political correctness is a means to an end for the ambitious and the petty.
                  It ceased to be about anything else a long time ago.
                  Last edited by FCA Trooper; 24 October 2020, 04:28.

Comment

Modern society considers the following tv show racist, and you won't find it re-broadcast anywhere, even though it comes from the same writer as Dad's army, Hi-De-Hi, Are you being served, Allo Allo etc. All on the edge of risqué.
                    It's not the casual racism that causes most offence, oddly, it is the homophobic abuse dished out. But the same era had an openly gay camp character exchanging innuendeo about a co-workers "pussy", while other shows main joke was the inability of the British to speak french, and the supposition that all french men of all ages had affairs with much younger women. Personally I think it is possibly the wittiest observational comedy on the last days of the Raj. I think the real problem most do-gooders have is the fact one character is in "blackface" even though he was born in India, and served as a Major in the brigade of Gurkhas, served in the Burma Campaign and was mentioned in dispatches. The fact too that the "natives" regularly get the upper hand, and the British establishment figures are generally buffoons may not sit well with polite british society.

Comment

Originally posted by FCA Trooper View Post
                      Within modern policing organisations (and, I'd be willing to bet, military ones as well), the ruthless way in which breaches of PC norms are dealt with has a lot to do with the promotion system.

Those who hope to be promoted are expected to provide examples of cases in which they have seen improper conduct and taken firm action against it.

In such a system, if there is no real improper conduct to speak of - but you want your promotion - you have to seek it out. If you're having difficulty finding something suitable, you can always take an off-colour remark and make a meal out of it.
                      Stamping out racism (real or imaginary, doesn't matter) is always a good look. Happy days.
                      And if some poor gobshite has to suffer ruination as a result...welp, that's just too bad.

In recent years, kneeling at the altar has become at least as important for your promotion prospects as being efficient at your job.
                      Needless to say, this is not conductive to having the right people in the right positions.
                      It is a state of affairs that has done massive damage to organisations and to society as a whole.

Speaking of the dismissal of that Marine General, you can rest assured that at some point, somebody somewhere will be sticking it on their CV and/or bragging about it to a promotion board.

Political correctness is a means to an end for the ambitious and the petty.
                      It ceased to be about anything else a long time ago.
                      Basically. these self appointed SJWs are looking for a scalp that will up their standing in their group. Happened to Keven Myres, George Hook.
                      The girl who flung liquid in to Leo' face is now a hero with her friends. I hate racism, but I hate more being policed be scrany weasels.
                      Last edited by sofa; 24 October 2020, 23:42.

Comment

Roddy McCorley, the bane of anyone who ever had to learn tin whistle. (Roddy himself was a United Irishman, and his Great- Grandson fought in the war of Independence).
                        You can use the tune of Roddy McCorley and sing lyrics of The Sash and vice versa. Good one to stoke outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                          Basically. these self appointed SJWs are looking for a scalp that will up their standing in their group. Happened to Keven Myres, George Hook.
                          The girl who flung liquid in to Leo' face is now a hero with her friends. I hate racism, but I hate more being policed be scrany weasels.
                          Indeed. The disconcerting thing about it is that 95% of people would agree with you, and yet here we are.

Nobody voted for it, few people want it, and nobody can pinpoint when exactly it became possible to lose your livelihood for expressing an unapproved opinion. But it did become possible and it is possible. And it happened while nobody was looking.

The precedents are there, and they're recent, and they should tell us where the policing of speech and thought lead socities.
                          Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, and that's exactly what we're doing.
                          Last edited by FCA Trooper; 25 October 2020, 14:30.

Comment

Thats exactly how it works. Its ok for some people to say it, but not others.
                            Thats just how it is.
                            I can call myself an a-hole. That doesn't mean you get to. POC can use the N word for themselves. That doesn't mean us white folk get to. Easy, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by irishrgr View Post
                              This is a touchy subject over here at the minute. And like the rest of us, I only know whats in the public domain. A few things, having worked in an environment with multiple general officers (GO) from all the services. Reliving a GO is not taken lightly by any means. There would have been an investigation, all parties interviewed, statements taken, everything then reviewed by the lawyers before it went to the Commandant of the Corps. Given he was relived, there was probably some reasonable grounds for it. Gen Neary would have had the opportunity to tell his side of the story, seek advise from his lawyer, so it's not like he was arbitrarily fired. There is a very scripted process for this sort of thing, which if not followed, will have the whole thing thrown out.

In general terms, GO's are under very close scrutiny as we've had our share of scandals and the Chairman and the Secretary have drawn a line under this sort of thing. Words have meaning, and a GO's word carry's weight whether they mean it or not. The guidance is "senior leaders will ALWAYS model ethical behavior".

As far as PC, well that is subjective to some degree, however, in the military here, we need to do better. Yes, people need to be thick skinned, and one can be thick skinned without being subject to racial/gender based slurs, whether they mean it or not. Looking back over the arc of my time in uniform, there are certainly things I saw/heard which should not have been said and we're working in it. Will it be perfect, probably not, but it's like physical fitness, it's a constant process, not a "one and done". When people moan on about "being PC" I remind them its not about PC, its about being right and neutral, it really is that simple.

A
                              Thanks. If officers apply racial slurs to their brothers in arms, what does that say about their willingness to treat them equally, lay down their lives for them etc? Do they actually consider them brothers in arms?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                                Kevin Myers got scalped, but George Hook did the scalping - he was put on leave for 2 weeks, the SJW who went after him lost her job.

Comment

Working...
                                X