Original Chest Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Chest Rig

Keep seeing online photos of an old DPM chest rig, was there an original one predating the current? Kinda like the Helikon Guardian in style. I'll try attach a photo. Any ideas about it? General issue or Gucci kit?
    Attached Files

That (or similar) was issued I think for Kosovo for vehicle patrols

Other than that (and ARW) it was PLCE

Comment

The rig pictured is a Protac chest rig. The issue chest rig (which we used overseas from 2003 up to 2007/08) was an IP-DPM( Irish pattern DPM) copy of the British army issue NI Chest rig.There are subtle differences in the way the pouches fastened.The press studs on the left shoulder strap for a pouch for a British issue radio we didn't have and the addition of a strip of PLCE web belt material on the back left to take a Bayonet frog or Respirator Haversack were dead giveaways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SL272257.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	698383
      Last edited by apod; 14 December 2020, 09:42.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Does anyone know where it would be possible to get my hands on one of these? Been hunting for one for ages. Kinda like the old British NI chest rig but in IP-DPM.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
          The rig pictured is a Protac chest rig. The issue chest rig (which we used overseas from 2003 up to 2007/08) was an IP-DPM( Irish pattern DPM) copy of the British army issue NI Chest rig.There are subtle differences in the way the pouches fastened.The press studs on the left shoulder strap for a pouch for a British issue radio we didn't have and the addition of a strip of PLCE web belt material on the back left to take a Bayonet frog or Respirator Haversack were dead giveaways.

[ATTACH]8874[/ATTACH]
          Would you have any ideas where one of these can still be acquired? Been on the hunt for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu_00 View Post

Would you have any ideas where one of these can still be acquired? Been on the hunt for a long time.
            I bought mine in Protac. That was when he still had the factory in Newbridge. My nephew used it for Airsoft (while it was Irish DPM, it was not an issued item).
            Mine had a larger "belt" buckle also.
            They are still out there, they went out of favour once the vest came in. They may still pop up on ebay now and again.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

I bought mine in Protac. That was when he still had the factory in Newbridge. My nephew used it for Airsoft (while it was Irish DPM, it was not an issued item).
              Mine had a larger "belt" buckle also.
              They are still out there, they went out of favour once the vest came in. They may still pop up on ebay now and again.
              I'm keeping an eye out, but were they an issued item too?

Comment

As I said before.There are design differences between the issue version and the Protac version as outlined above.The issue version is not commercially available.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu_00 View Post
                  Does anyone know where it would be possible to get my hands on one of these? Been hunting for one for ages. Kinda like the old British NI chest rig but in IP-DPM.
                  You can't. Officially. They are Irish DF property. However who knows what might pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                  X