No announcement yet.

Fisheries Monitoring Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this position is a clerical support position , and maybe make the tea now and then .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

C.os don't make tea, except for themselves.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

A thought just struck me.Despite the best efforts of some, with this move there will still be "Army" DPM moving about the base!!!
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
          A thought just struck me.Despite the best efforts of some, with this move there will still be "Army" DPM moving about the base!!!
          Only until they are press-ganged...

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            Always has been the case, with Armourers and the Corps of engineers having been in situ since the early days of the navy
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

If it is to be manned by civilians all this goes out the window, with regular shift patterns a the usual layers of supervision and management. Training and technology can address and short falls you perceive. Naval staff would become advisors as opposed to the operators.

Core of people work 'business hours' as support staff for various admin duties while operators rotate in a staggered shift pattern around them which due to premium pay and shift allowances will pay more than most juniors officers, never mind ratings.

But in long run will be more cost effective as it won't have the turn over of people the NS has nor will the persons only be seconded there from other duties with liabilities towards duties and sea going. ' Civilianistation' of previously military roles has always be abhorrent to military people but often it works very will and is quite efficient, but I'm sure many will disagree.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yes, I could never understand why the admin staff / Stores etc. needed to be people who could perform a section attack and be able to do a 10 mile tab. (Same with AGS, but that’s another thread...)
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

In AGS having positions like this keeps jobs for those who may no longer be fit for duty due to injury received on duty.
                  Its a handy work-around.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    If it is to be manned by civilians all this goes out the window, with regular shift patterns a the usual layers of supervision and management. Training and technology can address and short falls you perceive. Naval staff would become advisors as opposed to the operators.

Core of people work 'business hours' as support staff for various admin duties while operators rotate in a staggered shift pattern around them which due to premium pay and shift allowances will pay more than most juniors officers, never mind ratings.

But in long run will be more cost effective as it won't have the turn over of people the NS has nor will the persons only be seconded there from other duties with liabilities towards duties and sea going. ' Civilianistation' of previously military roles has always be abhorrent to military people but often it works very will and is quite efficient, but I'm sure many will disagree.
                    And Scottish fishery protection is done by all civilian crewed ships and no weapons .

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      Yes, I could never understand why the admin staff / Stores etc. needed to be people who could perform a section attack and be able to do a 10 mile tab. (Same with AGS, but that’s another thread...)
                      Allows for a much more flexible responsive organisation

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        That’s true, and if there were hundreds hammering on the gates to join it would not be a problem.
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Goes back to the ethos of everybody being an infantryman at entry level and everything after that is there to support the infantryman, common denominator.

Comment

On Marine Traffic there is a Portugal flagged vessel named Lundy Sentinel off the south east coast , it's showing as operating fishery protection and has the EU logo painted on it's hull , I've never seen anything like it before . It appears to be close to what would be the Irish/EU and UK line . Anyone any info on this .

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X