The Grenadier Guards have their first female guardsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
    Para beret for everyone who serves in the Parachute Battalion, they don't necessarily have to be para-qualified.
    Wouldn't have thought so... is that correct? Given the para beret is a symbol of qualification as well as unit identity
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      Wouldn't have thought so... is that correct? Given the para beret is a symbol of qualification as well as unit identity
      It is correct. The para roled units would have clerks assigned from the AGC for example and many of them would not have completed (or would need to have completed) the basic parachute course. Parachute training is expensive and there are high barriers to entry in British service at least. Specifically the maroon beret is worn by parachute regiment soldiers and also soldiers serving with parachute roled units (specifically in 16 AA brigade).

The big difference is that the maroon beret is only worn by other regiments while serving in para roled units. Don't forget that they would wear different cap badges with the maroon beret.

The real distinction is attainting the parachute regiment cap badge and also the wings which are worn in perpetuity.

Just on the reserve side of things - members of 4 para who have passed out of training often have to wait many months or even years to get a spot on the basic para course but of course wear the maroon beret until that point.
      Last edited by Auldsod; 23 December 2020, 12:36.

Comment

I’ve known female RAMC serving with PARA units who had a maroon beret, but couldn’t do P Company even if they had wanted to (this was the 90’s). Same goes for blanket stackers attached to THEM, I believe.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          I’ve known female RAMC serving with PARA units who had a maroon beret, but couldn’t do P Company even if they had wanted to (this was the 90’s). Same goes for blanket stackers attached to THEM, I believe.
          Have you come across many wearing the 'light bulb' during your service?

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
            Have you come across many wearing the 'light bulb' during your service?
            Yea, quite a few. It’s so long ago I can’t remember the exact refs, but I’m sure it was for completing P Company but not currently serving with an airborne unit and (open to correction) not up to date with Para qualification (I think).

I remember a few Commando dagger’s worn on uniforms as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              even in Hereford - Attached Arms (and pretty much all Army personnel posted to Stirling Lines) wear the 'Sandy Beret' of 22SAS despite never having even attempted UKSF selection.

When in Rome....
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                even in Hereford - Attached Arms (and pretty much all Army personnel posted to Stirling Lines) wear the 'Sandy Beret' of 22SAS despite never having even attempted UKSF selection.

When in Rome....
                I thought that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

When in Rome....
                  Also correct. They still need cooks and clerks.

Comment

Working...
                  X