Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Medals

Post Thanks / Like

Medals

Is there any gen about a 2021 gong yet or a COVID one like the National Ambulance Service?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu_00 View Post
    Is there any gen about a 2021 gong yet or a COVID one like the National Ambulance Service?
    Have heard nothing myself, and TBH, I think we'd have heard by now if it was a thing
    Not like we are gonna be having massed medal parades this coming year anyway, TBH
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this thread could get interesting....

I'd be highly surprised if there is a covid medal or a 2021/22 medal either...

Maybe some of the current recruits/cadets will see the 1949 centenary of the Republic medal

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anglo-Irish agreement signed 1921 provided for the Irish Free State and ended the War of Independence
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Anglo-Irish agreement signed 1921 provided for the Irish Free State and ended the War of Independence
    Agreement wasn't ratified until 1922 but you are correct, signed in 1921. There surely won't be a medal for it. Unlike 1916, it's divisive and finished up with civil war. Will be left well alone I'd expect.

6. Likes Flamingo, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Agreement wasn't ratified until 1922 but you are correct, signed in 1921. There surely won't be a medal for it. Unlike 1916, it's divisive and finished up with civil war. Will be left well alone I'd expect.
    True - certain quarters would spin it as a medal to celebrate partition. Politically, no sensible party would want to touch it with a barge pole. It would make “commemorating the Tans” seem like a party...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

8. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am all for giving a medal to anyone still serving that was there for the original event. Everyone else should join the boyscouts if they want badges

10. Likes DeV, Auldsod, apod, hptmurphy, Sluggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    True - certain quarters would spin it as a medal to celebrate partition. Politically, no sensible party would want to touch it with a barge pole. It would make “commemorating the Tans” seem like a party...
    Did a current party of government, who currently have the Minister of Defence, not have a section in their election manifesto on a commemoration medal for 2021?

(https://www.finegael.ie/pdf/FG_GE20_Manifesto.pdf , Page 88 under "Commemorating the past")
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    They also wanted to Commemorate the RIC. That did not end well.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

13. Likes apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Did a current party of government, who currently have the Minister of Defence, not have a section in their election manifesto on a commemoration medal for 2021?

(https://www.finegael.ie/pdf/FG_GE20_Manifesto.pdf , Page 88 under "Commemorating the past")
    It didn't make the programme for government anyway. I guess it's been quietly forgotten about.

I wonder did they actual ask the leadership of the DF if there would be an overall appetite for such? I also noted that their manifesto said medals!

Of courses there are always those who want as much bling as possible whether it's issued, from a veteran's organisation or even private purchase.... I'll make no further comment there....

15. Likes DeV liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Of course some interested parties 'up north' would view the non issue of a medal to commemorate partition as a failure to acknowledge it and that a united Ireland is in fact the true intention of Dublin who are waiting to issue a 'United Ireland ' medal instead, to go along with the economically united Ireland .
    Last edited by Laners; 4th January 2021 at 15:58.
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other side of it is that during 2016, no extra funding was provided the medal. Funds for this came out of existing clothing budgets. I'd prefer the money was spent on something practical rather than a this. It was our duty to do our bit during covid and we did it.

18. Likes Auldsod, apod, DeV liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it not make more sense to have a clasp or pin for existing service medals? Like a miniature harp or rosette to signify the holder served during these important years? Like the South Atlantic medal. Everyone who went south for over 30 days got the medal, (Including everyone at Ascension) but those who went beyond 35 Deg South operationally during hostilities on the Falklands got a clasp which was also on the ribbon.

Being lucky enough to serve at this time period does not, in my opinion deserve another medal. If we are going for new medals, a more sensible one would be to anyone who served between 1969 and 1998 in the Irish Security forces, who were de-facto fighting a war on terrorism.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Would it not make more sense to have a clasp or pin for existing service medals? Like a miniature harp or rosette to signify the holder served during these important years? Like the South Atlantic medal. Everyone who went south for over 30 days got the medal, (Including everyone at Ascension) but those who went beyond 35 Deg South operationally during hostilities on the Falklands got a clasp which was also on the ribbon.

Being lucky enough to serve at this time period does not, in my opinion deserve another medal. If we are going for new medals, a more sensible one would be to anyone who served between 1969 and 1998 in the Irish Security forces, who were de-facto fighting a war on terrorism.
    There is a reluctance to honour REAL GUT wrenching bravery for the few that are so recommended by those with a mandate to do so. It seems the named Jadotville defenders will not get medals due to perceived protocols or contemporary decisions that wanted to quietly bin the matter. There is some mention of a Board of Inquiry to look at the grounds to possibly award medals. I was disappointed that the small group associated with extinguishing the fire on LE Cliona just got paper.

21. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post

Thread Information