Tony (A.P) Kearns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony (A.P) Kearns

I learnt today of the passing of one of our own.
    A sad loss to the Irish aviation community, and those of us who frequent sites like this one. He was an active member here, guaranteed to provide an accurate aviation answer when requested. A great photographer of aircraft and a great friend to the Air Corps for the last 50 plus years. As long as I have been discussing military matters, Tony was there, either with a useful fact or exceptionally clear photo. Happy to share with anyone who was interested.

KEARNS, Anthony (Tony / A.P. Kearns) – January 10th, 2021 (Baldoyle, Dublin) (aviation historian) peacefully, at home surrounded by his loving family. Beloved husband of Moira, and devoted father to Fergal and Aisling; he will be very sadly missed by his wife, children, grandchildren Hannah, Daniel, Shane, Brion & Cameron, daughter-in-law Sandy, son-in-law Joff, brother Joe, sister-in-law Nuala, nieces, nephews, relatives, friends and neighbours.

Rest in Peace

A private funeral will take place for immediate family only due to Government advice and HSE guidelines regarding public gatherings. Those who would liked to have attended the Funeral, please feel free to leave a message in the Condolence Book at the bottom of the page. Family flowers only please, donations if desired to St. Francis Hospice. The funeral can be viewed online on Wednesday, 13th January, at 11am at stmaryshaddingtonroad.ie The Service at the crematorium can also be viewed at approximately 1pm on the same day at https://www.mountjerome.ie/?content=...ng-of-services
    Tony Kearns is offline.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

RIP

Comment

How sad. RIP. He’ll be missed.
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

That's very sad news.

Condolences to Tony's family and friends.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I only just heard from a family member and posted it in thew AC page. RIP.

Comment

RIP to an IMO Comrade
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

RIP

Comment

Very sad news. A big lost to Irish aviation.

Comment

R.I.P.
                  It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                  It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                  It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Rest In Peace

I had know Tony for many years through aviation related interests.

Best quote I read about him is that he was more Aer Corps than the Aer Corps
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

May he rest in peace
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Rest in Peace.

May I ask what Tony's handle on here was?

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                          Rest in Peace.

May I ask what Tony's handle on here was?
                          Oddly enough, Tony Kearns.
                          Last edited by na grohmiti; 12 January 2021, 19:45.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Just his own name. An encyclopedia about the historical Air Corps, he could be very short with anyone who got the facts wrong or tried touting inadequate or incorrect facts about things like dates of entry or withdrawal of aircraft, serial numbers, registration letters and numbers and so on. He knew a lot of the players personally and had a level of access that others envied, but failed to realise that he had earned such access by virtue of hard graft, doing old school research and wearing out a lot of shoe leather and spent a lot of time on reading old papers and talking to the wartime veterans. Many of them were to become lifelong friends and he probably knew more RAF and Luftwaffe veterans (connected to Ireland) than anyone in Ireland. He contributed to hundreds of publications in his lifetime. He wasn't an "anorak" of the reggie spotter type; he genuinely knew the histories of the aircraft and their service and tended to take photos for the historical record and not just for box-ticking. I hope his archive is saved.

Comment

Rest In Peace Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X