Tony Kearns has passed away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Kearns has passed away.

Tony Kearns has passed away, after a short illness, on Saturday last . A gent and a fount of knowledge on all things Air Corps and the Emergency years in Ireland, especially the RAF and Luftwaffe involvement. May he rest in peace.

In 2007 he arranged a visit for me and a few friends to the museum in Casement. We were supposed to stay there for 2 hour's. I had just bought the book "Landfall Ireland" in Eason's on O'Connell street that morning and had it with me. It was about the aircraft that either landed by mistake or crash landed in Ireland during WW2. I showed it to him and he said 'good book, but why did you buy it, I'll tell you all you need to know'. We talked and spent around 4 hours walking through the museum and he pointed out various pieces of aircraft wreckage from the book. It was the only time I met him, but his passion and love of aviation, history and the Air Corps shone through. A gentleman, may he rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by pilatus View Post
      In 2007 he arranged a visit for me and a few friends to the museum in Casement. We were supposed to stay there for 2 hour's. I had just bought the book "Landfall Ireland" in Eason's on O'Connell street that morning and had it with me. It was about the aircraft that either landed by mistake or crash landed in Ireland during WW2. I showed it to him and he said 'good book, but why did you buy it, I'll tell you all you need to know'. We talked and spent around 4 hours walking through the museum and he pointed out various pieces of aircraft wreckage from the book. It was the only time I met him, but his passion and love of aviation, history and the Air Corps shone through. A gentleman, may he rest in peace.
      McCarrons books were notoriously inaccurate a fact that Tony was constant to point out. His other pet hate was plagarism and used to regularly take Justin Horgan apart for his ' co operation ' with Patrick J Cummins on Luftwaffe crashes, know that Paddy had done all the work and Horgan was cashing in on his name.

A very astute man was Tony.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

My good friend and neighbour is his nephew. The Air Corps attended the funeral.

Comment

I asked him about McCarrons book and he was a tad impolite about the inaccuracies. He had good time for Paddy Cummins but the needle went to twelve about Mr.Horgan. He was also amusing about the Spitfire paint scheme controversy. May he rest in peace, undoubtedly have a word with God about the paint scheme on the Pearly Gates.

Comment

Very sad. Dealt with him a couple of times, was always very generous with his time and knowledge (and opinions!).

Comment

Working...
            X