No announcement yet.

Commission on the Defence Forces - Reserve Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course not, I was being flippant. Sorry, no offence intended.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Well said apod.

I don’t think people realize how stretched we are. Trying to meet Covid tastings, which can literally be upped at a moments notice , regimental duties , TRRs to keep career courses going. Not to mention dealing with Covid inside the organization.

It’s that busy at my call sign rest off for certain tasks is an utter privilege. 72hr+ ATCA task straight into duty.

Courses have to continue in order to facilitate overseas.

There’s no let up.
      Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

The RDF could probably be used for some taskings to help take pressure off.
        Ive done a stint at the Aviva last year and wouldnt mind doing a couple of duties to let the people who are flat out have a breather.
        But my BN doesnt seem to want to use us for anything

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
          Come and work in any DF Bks at the moment and realise how flippant and derisive those comments are.

Our people are meeting themselves coming off Covid Tasks which are more often than not seven day a week ones.On top of keeping the Barracks secure, meeting TRRs and being on call for ATCP tasks.

You two are seriously out of touch if you think that what ye stated is even close to the current state of play
          Of course that's not what I believe. You should know me better than that. It may be 10 years since I wore a uniform, but I pass a working barracks daily, and it is clear to all that the phrase "do more with less" is being tested to the absolute by the DF.
          However, my profession is ridiculed on an almost daily basis on this site and you don't see me getting upset.
          Everyone in the employ of the state is getting shit on at present. Normal rules and conditions of service have gone out the window without discussion, as normal chain of command goes out the window.
          But we are all links in the chain. Without my organisation giving 150%, your organisation and the state would soon cease to function. Without your organisation meeting themselves coming off duty, mine would cease to function.
          Apologies if we try to see the lighter side now and again. I didn't realise that was also not permitted during the lickdown.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            Yes, for sure. My point was there is no independent units any more since 2012 bar NSR. Everyone reports up into a PDF Unit.

Not technically true. The NSR come under Shore Operations unit.

The OC of the reserve is OC Shore Operations, a Commander (Lt Col equiv)

He has the same authority over the NSR as any other Sub-Unit in S OPS.

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
              Not technically true. The NSR come under Shore Operations unit.

The OC of the reserve is OC Shore Operations, a Commander (Lt Col equiv)

He has the same authority over the NSR as any other Sub-Unit in S OPS.
              NSR units are units (as defined by DFR R5) (as opposed to sub-units)

They are legally units under Shore Ops

Comment

Dev tells most of the story there.

No other RDF 'grouping' can call itself LUNSR or WUNSR . All the others are part of a Single Force unit e.g. D Coy 7 Bn , 1 MIC AR , 2 CAV AR, 1 BAR AR . This has been the case since 2012. It is not intended to mean that NSR are not part of the Defence Forces and do not have a chain of command and reporting structure like all the others.

And that's happening. I mentioned this up-thread. But you can't let it be used to dictate long term manning needs (for the PDF) . Neither is it a viable path for the main existence of the RDF.
                Last edited by trellheim; 21 January 2021, 10:38.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

So the NSR unit OC is reasonable fo the unit, same as a PDF unit OC. That's a lot of work for the NSR as all unit administration is their responsibility ie H & S, SOP's, OpOrds etc etc.

Pity I only have a few years left and am to old or might consider a transfer to Dublin Unit, their OC is a former MP!
                  Last edited by batterysgt; 21 January 2021, 11:25.

Comment

their OC is a former MP!
                    and before being a PA, a member of my old unit as well.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Is his spouse still serving?
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        In his RTE interview last week he clearly called out Tech Enabled Defence bolstered by the RDF. Thats not the same as saying retain the RDF in its current form.

Moving on we've had at least in the last 21+ years

2000 RDFRIB
                        2000 White Paper
                        2005 Reorg
                        2008 Integrated Reserve
                        2012 Reorg
                        Bord Snip ( Cutting the Grat really helped numbers).
                        2015 White Paper
                        2019 White Paper Update

------------------------------------------

All have played with the dials but none have actually done anything . Numbers, apart from a tiny couple of jumps, have been on a tremendous slide since.
                        Commission on the Future for Defence
                        Following the 2019 White Paper on Defence we now have the COMMISSION on DEFENCE 2020, but there is also another oversight body made up of Civil Servants with an input from a member of the GS ( A/COS Supply ) who are running an on-going housekeeping unit described as an EQUIPMENT DEVELOPMENT PLAN. There is a lot of expansionary wording and intention to develop but all is tempered by " funding" and financial limitations. The real path to progress is a timescale Budget and trust a Defence uniformed team to develop and update those sections of the Defence Forces that need it. A brief look at the EDP doc indicates that it is overegging aspects and might be creating a false impression of capabilities. The Multibeam Sonar is not a target tracking sonar but an Echo Sounder used for mapping the sea bed. All ships by law are required to carry an echo sounder for verifying Depth.

Comment

• 2020 was a year that threw us many challenges some of which we are still dealing with, but should we now take a step back and look how things might improve in the future? Could for example there be a greater role and co-operation with Civil Defence ? When we look at many of the taskings that the PDF & RDF are giving the military nature is often absent. Take for example something which most will have forgotten about; the explosion in Beirut during the summer. There was a need for immediate aid (some UNIFIL troops did support) and many countries contributed "first responders" and field hospitals. In an ideal world we might have sent engineers, army medics and items like field hospitals. Other countries did and often the personnel were from their voluntary organisations similar to our Civil Defence.

Might it be an ideas for certain Corps like Engineering, Medical, CIS etc to be more liked to CD, that for non-military tasking they be more involved. That DF can call upon that resource in case of HADR tasking for example?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            NSR units are units (as defined by DFR R5) (as opposed to sub-units)

They are legally units under Shore Ops

Yes apologies, units similar to NS ships under Flotilla in Ops Command.

SO NSR is a NS Lt Cdr who in turn reports to OC Shore Ops.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                              2020 was a year that threw us many challenges some of which we are still dealing with, but should we now take a step back and look how things might improve in the future? Could for example there be a greater role and co-operation with Civil Defence ? When we look at many of the taskings that the PDF & RDF are giving the military nature is often absent. Take for example something which most will have forgotten about; the explosion in Beirut during the summer. There was a need for immediate aid (some UNIFIL troops did support) and many countries contributed "first responders" and field hospitals. In an ideal world we might have sent engineers, army medics and items like field hospitals. Other countries did and often the personnel were from their voluntary organisations similar to our Civil Defence.

Might it be an ideas for certain Corps like Engineering, Medical, CIS etc to be more liked to CD, that for non-military tasking they be more involved. That DF can call upon that resource in case of HADR tasking for example?
                              The DF have done it before and the legislation supports it

The DF already has much useful equipment for some HADR work.

The DF lacks some key enablers - Field Hospital, MRV and tactical airlifters for example

What the DF lacks is sufficient personnel (medical especially and that is as much an establishment problem as a strength problem).

IMHO CD needs to be more centralised rather than decentralised to Local Authorities. One of the few “quangos” that was actually killed off by An Bord Snip Nua was the Civil Defence Board and that role went back to DoD. It had brought on CD leaps and bounds. DoD were in charge when the fiasco over PHECC happened. I wouldn’t see any issue with CD being deployed overseas to get around it could be seconded to Irish Aid under Rapid Response initiative.

Comment

• Originally posted by koppiteal View Post
                                Ive done a stint at the Aviva last year and wouldnt mind doing a couple of duties to let the people who are flat out have a breather.
                                But my BN doesnt seem to want to use us for anything
                                Our AR Colleagues ARE being used and have been since this started.We have AR pers on duty nearly every day of the week(O/O yesterday was AR. Gd Comd today is AR for example) plus we have used them to make up the numbers on nearly all Internal Exercises(Rec Pln TRRs, both as Enemy AND mixed in with the Students as Exercise troops) and most external ones too( Cadet School/IWW/NCOTW/BTC TRR's). Our AR guys and Gals are helping out with Covid tasks such as contact tracing in mixed PDF/AR Teams
                                with the ratio being 80% AR to 20% PDF with an AR Officer OIC.

In short our AR guys have been magnificent and I would go so far as to say that without them we couldn't have kept going last year(and this year so far). I would literally grow out of anyone who disrespected our AR people if they did it on front of me.Simple as.

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                Of course that's not what I believe. You should know me better than that. It may be 10 years since I wore a uniform, but I pass a working barracks daily, and it is clear to all that the phrase "do more with less" is being tested to the absolute by the DF.
                                However, my profession is ridiculed on an almost daily basis on this site and you don't see me getting upset.
                                Everyone in the employ of the state is getting shit on at present. Normal rules and conditions of service have gone out the window without discussion, as normal chain of command goes out the window.
                                But we are all links in the chain. Without my organisation giving 150%, your organisation and the state would soon cease to function. Without your organisation meeting themselves coming off duty, mine would cease to function.
                                Apologies if we try to see the lighter side now and again. I didn't realise that was also not permitted during the lickdown.
                                Jesus bud.Are you apologising or not? You say that's not what you believe so why say it?? It's not funny.It IS Flippant,which Flamingo has acknowledged and apologised for,and to the best of my knowledge I haven't disrespected your Job and how It is done. Not looking to get into a pissing match.I am too tired, but if you really DID see what is going on inside the Barracks wall you would realise that I am not being oversensitive but have every right to expect a retraction on behalf of the lads and lasses who are giving so much for f**k all thanks and even less money.

Genuinely.You need to withdraw the comment without equivocation.As has been said before.Words Matter.
                                Last edited by apod; 21 January 2021, 19:41.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X