New Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kit

What new kit and equipment at a personal level or section level (i.e. not new 20mm cannons for naval ships) is expected to enter service either this year or in the next few years? What kit is being trialled at the moment?

New Section Level DMR Rifle.

Upgraded NVE

Disintegrating link ammo conversion for GPMG.

Further upgrades to the Steyr.

IMBAS (Body armour/load carriage system)

New Helmet (Not confirmed)

Ballistic glasses.

New Soldier Personal radio (SPR) and Section Level and higher Radio.

Upgrades to DPM Uniform (Boots/Badges/Gloves/Belts/Tactical trousers etc)
    Last edited by apod; 9 February 2021, 22:04.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	irish army cadets mout LLM.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	741860 Anyone know the story with the Cadet running a laser illuminator during their ex in Cork?
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the Cadets were also rocking some Solomon Quest 4D Forces 2 boots. Possibility of a new trial, or did the class bulk purchase for themselves?

​
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

How usable are the ACOGs when using NVE? I though IR lasers were part of the upgrade program back in the day?
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
            Looks like the Cadets were also rocking some Solomon Quest 4D Forces 2 boots. Possibility of a new trial, or did the class bulk purchase for themselves?

​
            My guess would be the latter. I would guess any boot trials would be done by the Wing and an operational unit (has traditionally been the case down the years anyway)
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

My guess would be the latter. I would guess any boot trials would be done by the Wing and an operational unit (has traditionally been the case down the years anyway)
              Trials happen from time to time on courses too

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
                Click image for larger version

Name:	irish army cadets mout LLM.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	741860 Anyone know the story with the Cadet running a laser illuminator during their ex in Cork?
                Somebody should order that cooker cleaned!!
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

New helmet tender out......
                  Frontrunners and wishlists.....
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                    New helmet tender out......
                    Frontrunners and wishlists.....
                    Galvion, they've won almost every tender across Europe in the last few years and just clinched a huge combined order from Norway/Sweden/Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
                      Galvion, they've won almost every tender across Europe in the last few years and just clinched a huge combined order from Norway/Sweden/Finland.
                      Pity we didn't join in on the Norway/Sweden/Finland order!
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

D-ORD seems happy stubbornly with the current issue boot. Requests from units that were partaking in competitions abroad for non issue footwear were turned down on the basis of Ordnance saying there was no justification for the same.

Other items were trailed, generally small items, ancillaries like socks etc.

Development of big ticket items looks to be essentially shelved whilst the new DF Clothing System arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post

D-ORD seems happy stubbornly with the current issue boot. Requests from units that were partaking in competitions abroad for non issue footwear were turned down on the basis of Ordnance saying there was no justification for the same.

Other items were trailed, generally small items, ancillaries like socks etc.

Development of big ticket items looks to be essentially shelved whilst the new DF Clothing System arrives.
                          Let me play devils advocate for a second. What could the Zephyrs do that the Scouts or Black eagles couldn't? Was there an element of "Gucci footwear" syndrome at play in the Business case? The last few cadet classes have bulk purchased the Zephyrs. Did that influence the request? Of course ORD were never going to agree to this. The Brown Haix (both models) are only General issue less than 3 Years. Buying a new boot so soon would be admitting the got it wrong in their choice of boots!

If there are issues with Haix model currently on issue then that should have been highlighted before the current footwear tender kicked off and improvements requested. One example being the stupid tongue pocket on the Black Eagles. Get rid and simplify like on the newer Haix models.

As for the big ticket items. IMBAS. WTF? By the time it enters service it's gonna be obsolete.
                          Last edited by apod; 25 December 2023, 18:55.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post

Let me play devils advocate for a second. What could the Zephyrs do that the Scouts or Black eagles couldn't? Was there an element of "Gucci footwear" syndrome at play in the Business case? The last few cadet classes have bulk purchased the Zephyrs. Did that influence the request? Of course ORD were never going to agree to this. The Brown Haix (both models) are only General issue less than 3 Years. Buying a new boot so soon would be admitting the got it wrong in their choice of boots!

If there are issues with Haix model currently on issue then that should have been highlighted before the current footwear tender kicked off and improvements requested. One example being the stupid tongue pocket on the Black Eagles. Get rid and simplify like on the newer Haix models.

As for the big ticket items. IMBAS. WTF? By the time it enters service it's gonna be obsolete.
                            Broadly speaking, there's repeated end user feedback that find the Haix Scout less comfortable than Zephyr, Quest or insert whatever you're having. This has gone in AAR reviews from a number of teams that have gone to competitions abroad.

Some of this is a perception/gucci kit issue, and some of this is down to the DF deciding that soldiers feet come in full sizes and standard widths.

Haix will make whatever you want, there's a reason they've won the vast majority of European defence footwear contracts over the last 5 years, the DF simply don't exercise a lot of the options available.

Ref big ticket items, I'm thinking more on the clothing end rather than the IMBAS. I think all major developments will likely be halted until the DFCCS tenders arrive.

Comment

For me the big issue with the Scouts is sizing. Currently we don't have an option for half sizes. I found from experience that my regular size is too tight and difficult to don and doff. So I had to go up a size in the issue boot. Grand for daily use but for the ground I purchased a second pair in a half size up from my regular size. Fits perfectly. From the tender documents for the currently running competition Half sizes are going to be supplied. Should alleviate the situation.

As for "Big ticket items". Not sure what you mean here. DFCCS is probably going to include some of those and the budget per complete kit per soldier is nearly double than present. Reading between the lines we stand to get some really good kit unless the bean counters do their usual and water things down.

Comment

Working...
                              X