Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier dies in Castlemartin live-fire training exercise

Castlemartin again! RIP

The victim - understood to be a Welsh Guards sergeant - was fatally injured at the Castlemartin base.

A soldier has died during a live-fire training exercise at a British Army firing range.

The victim, who has not yet been named, was a sergeant in the Welsh Guards, the BBC understands.

He was fatally wounded at the Castlemartin base in Pembrokeshire, on Thursday night.

The Ministry of Defence said next of kin has been informed. Dyfed Powys Police are being assisted by the Royal Military Police in the investigation.

The Defence Accident Investigation Branch is also involved in inquiries into the soldier's death.

Previous fatalities
    "It is with great sadness we can confirm the death of a soldier on 4th March. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this tragic time," an Army spokesman said.

"The circumstances surrounding this death are being investigated and it would be inappropriate to comment any further."

It the latest in a number of accidents at Castlemartin.

In 2017, two soldiers died in a tank explosion, which a coroner ruled was due to a design flaw.

An Army captain was jailed in July 2018 after a 21-year-old soldier was killed by a stray bullet during an exercise at the range in 2012.

According to the MoD, the Welsh Guards have a "dual role" as "light role infantry" and "world class ceremonial soldiers, guarding the Royal Family and Royal palaces such as Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London and conducting state ceremonial duties".
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

RIP

Comment

More details have been released by MOD

Sgt Gavin Hillier's wife and two sons say they are "not ready to say goodbye" to him.

Castlemartin soldier death: Sgt Gavin Hillier's family 'heartbroken'

The family of a soldier who was killed during a live-fire training exercise at an army range have said they are "heartbroken" by his death.

In a statement, Sgt Gavin Hillier's wife Karyn and his two sons Declan and Connor said they were "not ready to say goodbye".

Sgt Hillier, of 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, died at Castlemartin in Pembrokeshire on Thursday.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said he was "deeply saddened" by the death.

Sgt Hillier served in Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan during his career in the Army, and in 2019 was awarded the Long Service and Good Conduct medal by the Prince of Wales.

The Welsh Guards said he was "universally loved" across the battalion and his death had been a "terrible shock".

In a statement, his wife and sons said: "I thank you for the day you came into my life and made me your wife and became the father to our two beautiful boys.

"We are absolutely heartbroken and can't express how proud we are of you. Our boys will continue to make you proud and you will forever live on through them.

"Daddy, we are not ready to say goodbye just yet so until we meet again, we love you always. Love, your heartbroken wife and boys."

His mother, Karen Selway, said: "You made me so proud of you from the day you were born and we will be proud for always. Rest in peace my son, you will always be my little boy."

Sgt Hillier's platoon commander said his style of leadership "got the best out of the platoon" and his personality was "infectious".

He added: "He was my rock when I needed guidance, never afraid to offer me advice and was a fierce Welshman."

On Saturday, Dyfed-Powys Police said it had opened an investigation into the death of the soldier.

Police said officers were liaising with the Health and Safety Executive and the Ministry of Defence.

The Defence Accident Investigation Branch is also involved in inquiries.

Sgt Hillier is the fourth soldier to die at Castlemartin since 2012.
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
      X