• Sliabh na mBan Reg No: ARR2

Sliabh na mBan “the jewel in the crown”
    Attached Files
    Glaine ár gcroí
    Neart ár ngéag
    Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Sliabh na mBan (Slievenamon)

Sliabh na mBan (Slievenamon)

I have other pics from the same set if anybody wants them.
    Attached Files
    Glaine ár gcroí
    Neart ár ngéag

Comment

its not the original...just one painted up like it
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

yea and it is made out of chipboard !
        Glaine ár gcroí
        Neart ár ngéag

Comment

no seriously.....the original was scrapped in the twenties and this one was painted up when we decide to have some military heritage
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well if you want I can arrange for you to see it :-)
            Glaine ár gcroí
            Neart ár ngéag

Comment

It's the real thing, take it from me.
              Attached Files
              Glaine ár gcroí
              Neart ár ngéag

Comment

If it makes any difference i've seen it and there ain't and chipboard on it
                There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

What does Mr. Martyns book have to say?
                  Meh.

Comment

The turret is not original,but the car is. Its not mentioned in the book,but the car was stolen by its gunner,who changed sides after the death of Collins(a scotsman apparently). The car was later returned without its Gun. Much speculation surrounds that gun,why it was not brought into action on the day collins was shot,and if Collins was actually killed by a shot from the Cars gun.

The dissapearance of this gun leaves these questions unanswered.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Jock Mc Peake being the man in question. I've seen it and i've even travelled in it and it is truly a beautiful piece of machinery and a credit to those who maintain and operate. I believe it to be the only one of its type in the world still operational.....but this is just heresay.

Its a pity more of our military heritage has not been restore to the same condition.....but it must be said the recently many of the older vehicles are being restore to running condition an there is a fair representitive collection of DF vehicles restored...problem is there is no where to see them!

Comment

Just a few points here gents. Jock McPeake deserted to the Irregulars at Bandon and brought the car with him. His felt that the prosecution of the War was to severe, having witnessed some heavy handed action by the Army. He was later charged and served time for the theft of the vehicle.
                        The reason the car is in existence today has nothing to do with govts desire to preserve military heritage. This car and all others of it's class were destined for Hammond Lane (crushers). All appeals fell on deaf departmental ears. Finally the car was saved by Cavalry Officers pooling their meagre resources and purchasing it. All the rest were disposed of!
                        There is strong rumour that in fact the turret is a replacement, but some would disagree
                        Among other treasures sent by the Dept to Hammond lane or sold were
                        The Big Fella aircraft
                        All of the Spitfires and Hurricanes
                        The 18 pdrs that were in action at the Fourcourts, Summerhill and Drogheda were sold to a Belgian Arms dealer in part payment for the FN's in the early 60's
                        this is just the very,very tip of the ice berg of this National scandal.

Abouit "nowhere to see our vehicles"! All this is about to change. The Military Museum Section in Collins Bks. Dublin will be superb. A very large extension will be built to accommodate the transport and aircraft element of the exhibition. The project is a superb one, way beyond my wildest expectations!

Comment

Was wathching a documentary bout the death of Collins a few years ago and i think it said that the gun was brought in to action at beal na mblath but it jammed.
                          There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Correct. The belts were made of canvas and were very finniky esp in the case of Béal na Bláth where they were not loaded with the precision required.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X