Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice piccies.

Are they restorations or reproductions?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Rolls Royce armoured car Sliabh na mBan with an Avro Cadet in Baldonnel.

Attached Files

Comment

Great to see the Air Corps finally getting some modern equipment.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

That is an excellent image, I can see it been used a lot in the future,,,

A youtube link ,, sheep chase,,,
          Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Comment

Its a pity you can see the PC 9 in the backround , otherwise it would have been a lovely period shot.

Any one notice the registration plate has been change from the old plate to a civilian plate...interesting.....

I have been unable to find a picture where it wore anything other than the AAR 2 number plate...while some feature no plate at all.

AAR2 is the armies number for it and indeed Karl Martin has all 14 civilian number plates listed, so would suggest that the car has been restored itself in a later period of its life when civilian plates were fitted to Army vehicles.

Thats a great piece of footage , the driver wasn't afraid to give it some holly even off road. Nice to see such an old vehicle been driven like this rather than being trailered around.

I need to clarify something I wrote earlier I stated that the car had been scrapped,while physically it never was obviously, it only survives because the man who restored it Sgt Paddy Lynch, had it scrapped on paper so officially it didn't exist.

Last edited by hptmurphy; 20 April 2012, 19:17.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

That is still the case. It is down in the books as "scrap" because the system cannot restore what was deemed to be scrap back into active service................ With regard to the Avro Cadet, the Don won't fly it or even start it, because elf 'n' safety deems swinging the prop to be too unsafe. They also have no one legally qualified to fly a tailwheeler, despite one of the pilots having extensive civilian tailwheel experience. The only other guy, who is an excellent civvie pilot , is a mere Sergeant so he can't fly it. They also managed to make a balls out of getting it's magnetos serviced. Nice way to piss away a quarter of a million euros.
              regards
              GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Duffer View Post
                The colour appears to be grey/blue rather than green Is that the original colour? Also is the Vickers Machine Gun real, can it fire blanks as that would be spectular to see, Great to see some of our military heritage being preserved? Can the general public see it?
                the dftc(curragh) museam is been extended to house the car. i have heard there is behind the scenes fighting as the cav do not want to release it but apperantly the cos put his foot down..
                but we will see

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  That is still the case. It is down in the books as "scrap" because the system cannot restore what was deemed to be scrap back into active service................ With regard to the Avro Cadet, the Don won't fly it or even start it, because elf 'n' safety deems swinging the prop to be too unsafe. They also have no one legally qualified to fly a tailwheeler, despite one of the pilots having extensive civilian tailwheel experience. The only other guy, who is an excellent civvie pilot , is a mere Sergeant so he can't fly it. They also managed to make a balls out of getting it's magnetos serviced. Nice way to piss away a quarter of a million euros.
                  regards
                  GttC
                  Isn't the DCOS taildragger qualified? Flew a Chipmunk?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                    the dftc(curragh) museam is been extended to house the car. i have heard there is behind the scenes fighting as the cav do not want to release it but apperantly the cos put his foot down..
                    but we will see
                    Have also heard that a firearms collector in NI has a Vickers MG and wants to fire it from the car in the Glen...apparently a friend of the CoS
                    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

DCOS may once have been tailwheel-qualified but since there is no qualified tailwheel instructor in the Air Corps, ergo, there are no qualified tailwheel pilots (an individual has many hours of tailwheel time but since he didn't get it from the Don, it doesn't count, according to their logic).
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                        Have also heard that a firearms collector in NI has a Vickers MG and wants to fire it from the car in the Glen...apparently a friend of the CoS
                        i never heared that. im sure the df if they wanted to could route out a vickers guns to fire?

Comment

I saw a vikers being fired in the Curragh around 1992. They don't need to bring in outsiders if they wanted to fire it.

Comment

SW - I'm not doubting that you heard that, but as far as I know it would be impossible / illegal for a private collector in Northern Ireland to hold a live firing HMG.

Anything beyond a bolt action rifle would have to be deactivated and certified as such.

Re the car - there used to be one of those in the Somme Centre in Newtownards - I haven't been for a few years but I'm fairly sure it was on loan from the Irish Army?

A replica perhaps? Not sure if its still there.
                            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Only reporting what I was told lads!

On the car...there's only 2 still around. Sliabh na mBán and one in Bovington
                              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

"The Rolls Royce 1920-pattern Silver Ghost Armoured Car 'Sliabh na mBan' was one of 13 such cars in service with the Irish Army in 1922. It is now preserved in the Irish Army's Curragh Camp in Co. Kildare. Armed with a functioning .303 Vickers, it is the oldest armoured vehicle in the world still in full working order. Four generations of the Lynch family have worked on the armoured car since 1922. Paddy Lynch was an Irish Army Rolls Royce driver/mechanic and then Sgt/commander in the 1922 era. He then went on to work on the entire Rolls Royce armoured car fleet in the newly formed Cavalry Workshops in the Curragh Camp. He later became Workshops foreman and managed to save Sliabh na mBan from being scrapped in 1954. As mentioned in the video, Paddy Lynch's son, Pat, grandsons Noel and Padraig and great granddaughter Emily Lynch have all worked on Sliabh na mBan since."

Comment

Working...
                                X