Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is still the case. It is down in the books as "scrap" because the system cannot restore what was deemed to be scrap back into active service................ With regard to the Avro Cadet, the Don won't fly it or even start it, because elf 'n' safety deems swinging the prop to be too unsafe. They also have no one legally qualified to fly a tailwheeler, despite one of the pilots having extensive civilian tailwheel experience. The only other guy, who is an excellent civvie pilot , is a mere Sergeant so he can't fly it. They also managed to make a balls out of getting it's magnetos serviced. Nice way to piss away a quarter of a million euros.
    regards
    GttC

  2. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
  3. #52
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
    The colour appears to be grey/blue rather than green Is that the original colour? Also is the Vickers Machine Gun real, can it fire blanks as that would be spectular to see, Great to see some of our military heritage being preserved? Can the general public see it?
    the dftc(curragh) museam is been extended to house the car. i have heard there is behind the scenes fighting as the cav do not want to release it but apperantly the cos put his foot down..
    but we will see

  4. #53
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    That is still the case. It is down in the books as "scrap" because the system cannot restore what was deemed to be scrap back into active service................ With regard to the Avro Cadet, the Don won't fly it or even start it, because elf 'n' safety deems swinging the prop to be too unsafe. They also have no one legally qualified to fly a tailwheeler, despite one of the pilots having extensive civilian tailwheel experience. The only other guy, who is an excellent civvie pilot , is a mere Sergeant so he can't fly it. They also managed to make a balls out of getting it's magnetos serviced. Nice way to piss away a quarter of a million euros.
    regards
    GttC
    Isn't the DCOS taildragger qualified? Flew a Chipmunk?


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  5. #54
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Death Star
    Posts
    1,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    the dftc(curragh) museam is been extended to house the car. i have heard there is behind the scenes fighting as the cav do not want to release it but apperantly the cos put his foot down..
    but we will see
    Have also heard that a firearms collector in NI has a Vickers MG and wants to fire it from the car in the Glen...apparently a friend of the CoS
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

  6. #55
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    DCOS may once have been tailwheel-qualified but since there is no qualified tailwheel instructor in the Air Corps, ergo, there are no qualified tailwheel pilots (an individual has many hours of tailwheel time but since he didn't get it from the Don, it doesn't count, according to their logic).
    regards
    GttC

  7. #56
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamy Window View Post
    Have also heard that a firearms collector in NI has a Vickers MG and wants to fire it from the car in the Glen...apparently a friend of the CoS
    i never heared that. im sure the df if they wanted to could route out a vickers guns to fire?

  8. #57
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a vikers being fired in the Curragh around 1992. They don't need to bring in outsiders if they wanted to fire it.


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  9. #58
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    SW - I'm not doubting that you heard that, but as far as I know it would be impossible / illegal for a private collector in Northern Ireland to hold a live firing HMG.

    Anything beyond a bolt action rifle would have to be deactivated and certified as such.

    Re the car - there used to be one of those in the Somme Centre in Newtownards - I haven't been for a few years but I'm fairly sure it was on loan from the Irish Army?

    A replica perhaps? Not sure if its still there.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

  10. #59
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Death Star
    Posts
    1,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only reporting what I was told lads!

    On the car...there's only 2 still around. Sliabh na mBán and one in Bovington
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

  11. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  12. #60
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The Rolls Royce 1920-pattern Silver Ghost Armoured Car 'Sliabh na mBan' was one of 13 such cars in service with the Irish Army in 1922. It is now preserved in the Irish Army's Curragh Camp in Co. Kildare. Armed with a functioning .303 Vickers, it is the oldest armoured vehicle in the world still in full working order. Four generations of the Lynch family have worked on the armoured car since 1922. Paddy Lynch was an Irish Army Rolls Royce driver/mechanic and then Sgt/commander in the 1922 era. He then went on to work on the entire Rolls Royce armoured car fleet in the newly formed Cavalry Workshops in the Curragh Camp. He later became Workshops foreman and managed to save Sliabh na mBan from being scrapped in 1954. As mentioned in the video, Paddy Lynch's son, Pat, grandsons Noel and Padraig and great granddaughter Emily Lynch have all worked on Sliabh na mBan since."


  13. Likes Shaqra, hptmurphy, Flamingo liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •