No announcement yet.

First Irish Revenue Cutter-First Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a bit odd that the same people tasked with the prevention of smuggling are also responsible for the collection of Vehicle Registration Tax.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      It is a bit odd that the same people tasked with the prevention of smuggling are also responsible for the collection of Vehicle Registration Tax.
      Could'nt agree more. Instead of having a dedicated website that explains the work of the Customs and the National Investigative Unit, you are now dazzled with child benefit, national insurance and VAT!!!

Comment

Dippin diesel one day, checkin customs seals on containers next.

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
          Could'nt agree more. Instead of having a dedicated website that explains the work of the Customs and the National Investigative Unit, you are now dazzled with child benefit, national insurance and VAT!!!

Comment

Sorry Dev, I should have been more specific. I was refering to HM Customs

Comment

If there is anyone on the site actually working in the Irish Revenue Comissioners, could they PM me? Thank you.

Comment

Just thinking, gone are the days now that the Customs Delta Rib would come and check up on the visitors, now its the Cutter. Moving on up !
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

New Customs Cutter - No Thank You

Sorry, but I do not agree that we need a new cutter, we are trying to build the trappings of an empire and yet we have just over 4 million people. Customs craft, RNLI Craft, Navel Services. We are surrounded by the roughest seas in the world and we think that a 20metre craft is going to help sort our problems! Perception is fine - but lets get real and not waste taxpayers money. We need to enable things so that the seagoing agencies we have already can be focussed on the remit. What we need is joined up institutions.

Comment

Like the US Coastguard perhaps? All your maritime agencies from maritime policing, to maritime safety and marine superintendants, along with search and rescue, buoyage and training under one agency. For a small nation it would make sense.

Which is probably why it won't happen. Too much empire building to upset.

Comment

• Wasnt the idea of a dedicated Coastguard agency (incorporating the NS) mooted by Smithy when he was defence minister, and shot down by all and sundry??

Personally i dont think it will happen. In it's absence I believe the Customs service should be a stand-alone service with a small fleet of cutters and a couple of maritime patrol surveillance aircraft (perhaps piloted/operated by the AC).
                      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver View Post
                        Wasnt the idea of a dedicated Coastguard agency (incorporating the NS) mooted by Smithy when he was defence minister, and shot down by all and sundry??

Personally i dont think it will happen. In it's absence I believe the Customs service should be a stand-alone service with a small fleet of cutters and a couple of maritime patrol surveillance aircraft (perhaps piloted/operated by the AC).
                        Would that not completely duplicate the functions of the Naval service? How many navies does a small island need?

Comment

• The Report on the NS and AC investigated turning the NS into a multi-role coastguard type agency.

Comment

• It did so on the basis of removing any resemblence to a military, even self defence capability, and was rejected.

Comment

• Having a bit of a you tube afternoon and came across this. Apologies if it has been posted before. Shows the rear launching and recovery mechanism in operation.

Comment

• Leave any vehicle in Cobh unattended long enough and it'll end up on blocks...

RCC Suirbheir gets her bottom scrubbed.

Comment

Working...
                                X