Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Item in Dail Answers Wednesday 11th Feb 2015

Defence Forces Fatalities

89. Deputy Seán Ó Fearghaíl asked the Minister for Defence regarding reports that a person (details supplied) suspected of involvement in the killing of persons (details supplied) could go free under an amnesty covering crimes committed during the 1975 to 1990 Lebanese civil war, if he has established whether this is likely to happen; the action he is taking in relation to the issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [6330/15]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Simon Coveney): The matter to which the Deputy is referring is the case of the deaths of Private Thomas Barrett and Private Derek Smallhorne who were murdered, and Private John O’Mahony who was seriously injured while serving with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) on 18 April 1980. In July 2014 the alleged perpetrator, Mr. Mahmoud Bazzi, was arrested by the United States of America’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Agency for administrative immigration violations. During his immigration court hearing in Detroit, on 11 August, Mr. Bazzi admitted that he entered the United States in 1994 without proper documentation. The Judge ruled that Mr. Bazzi be deported to Lebanon. Mr. Bazzi was finally deported from the United States to his native Lebanon on 30 January 2015. On arrival in Beirut, Mr. Bazzi was arrested and detained by the Lebanese authorities where he remains in custody. It is now a matter for the Lebanese authorities to investigate the case. The Irish Ambassador in the region is continuing to monitor developments in the case and is in contact with the Department of Defence.

Unfortunately, there are no provisions in Irish law, which provide a basis for Ireland to pursue a prosecution against the alleged perpetrator. Lebanon is the country with primary jurisdiction in this case. The Irish Government have requested the support of the Lebanese Government in seeking justice for the murdered Irish UNIFIL peacekeepers, should such action be feasible. During my visit to the Lebanon last December, I met with the Lebanese authorities at the most senior levels of Government and highlighted the Irish Government’s continued commitment and interest in progressing this case.

I am not in a position to state whether the alleged perpetrator will go free but I can state that we are committed to continuing to do everything possible to pursue justice for both men who lost their lives in the line of peacekeeping duty, and stand ready to provide whatever assistance possible to the Lebanese authorities in progressing this issue. However, it is a matter for the Lebanese authorities to investigate the case and to determine any future action in accordance with their National Legislation and judicial procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran Marum View Post
      Item in Dail Answers Wednesday 11th Feb 2015

Defence Forces Fatalities

89. Deputy Seán Ó Fearghaíl asked the Minister for Defence regarding reports that a person (details supplied) suspected of involvement in the killing of persons (details supplied) could go free under an amnesty covering crimes committed during the 1975 to 1990 Lebanese civil war, if he has established whether this is likely to happen; the action he is taking in relation to the issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [6330/15]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Simon Coveney): The matter to which the Deputy is referring is the case of the deaths of Private Thomas Barrett and Private Derek Smallhorne who were murdered, and Private John O’Mahony who was seriously injured while serving with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) on 18 April 1980. In July 2014 the alleged perpetrator, Mr. Mahmoud Bazzi, was arrested by the United States of America’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Agency for administrative immigration violations. During his immigration court hearing in Detroit, on 11 August, Mr. Bazzi admitted that he entered the United States in 1994 without proper documentation. The Judge ruled that Mr. Bazzi be deported to Lebanon. Mr. Bazzi was finally deported from the United States to his native Lebanon on 30 January 2015. On arrival in Beirut, Mr. Bazzi was arrested and detained by the Lebanese authorities where he remains in custody. It is now a matter for the Lebanese authorities to investigate the case. The Irish Ambassador in the region is continuing to monitor developments in the case and is in contact with the Department of Defence.

Unfortunately, there are no provisions in Irish law, which provide a basis for Ireland to pursue a prosecution against the alleged perpetrator. Lebanon is the country with primary jurisdiction in this case. The Irish Government have requested the support of the Lebanese Government in seeking justice for the murdered Irish UNIFIL peacekeepers, should such action be feasible. During my visit to the Lebanon last December, I met with the Lebanese authorities at the most senior levels of Government and highlighted the Irish Government’s continued commitment and interest in progressing this case.

I am not in a position to state whether the alleged perpetrator will go free but I can state that we are committed to continuing to do everything possible to pursue justice for both men who lost their lives in the line of peacekeeping duty, and stand ready to provide whatever assistance possible to the Lebanese authorities in progressing this issue. However, it is a matter for the Lebanese authorities to investigate the case and to determine any future action in accordance with their National Legislation and judicial procedures.
      That sounds like politician speak for hes going to get off with it,and there's nothing we can do. As the lads were murdered while on UN service,could the US not have handed the prick over to the UN, or have him tried in the Hague?

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
        How so was McAlevy tried here in a civil court?

Why so?
        [/QUOTE]

He (McAlevey) was Court-Martialed, also he was a serving member of the Irish military who inflicted death on fellow members of the Irish Military while on service in South Lebanon with U.N.I.F.I.L.

Bazi is a Lebanese citizen (and Lebanon at the time was in a state of Civil War) with a breakdown of its civil powers i.e. Law & Order, during which time "Lebanese Law" was not being applied to the area of South Lebanon known as the D.F.F. Enclave.

From a legal / Law point of view, it has yet to be proven that he (Bazi) carried out the act that lead to the death of the two Irish Peacekeepers, pulled the trigger of the weapon that killed the two Irish Peacekeepers, was operating as a member of the South Lebanese Army at the time of the incident, or his involvement was that of a private citizen acting out of remorse for the death of his brother at At-Tiri a few days before. "blood feud" has been mentioned as being part of the reason for the attack against the Irish, and was certainly talked about while I was there with the 46th Battalion at that time.

So much time has gone by I don't really see how anything one way or the other can be conclusively proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, No forensic evidence, no eye witnesses to the shootings (none of the U.N.D.O.F. team of Harry Klein or the French Officer,/the lone Irish survivor wounded and not present when the two other Irish were lead away, the Newspaper reporters, were not present at the actual location of the shootings of the two murdered Irish soldiers, no Lebanese witnesses, no photographic evidence so on and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by jack nastyface View Post
          That sounds like politician speak for hes going to get off with it,and there's nothing we can do. As the lads were murdered while on UN service,could the US not have handed the prick over to the UN, or have him tried in the Hague?
          No matter what it sounds like to you or me, the various international LAWs states that a specific criteria has to be met with regards such cases.

1. Ireland has no Jurisdiction.

2. The US has no jurisdiction.

3. The U.N. has no jurisdiction whatsoever, being an organization not a State.

4. The Hague has no jurisdiction in the case.

For other points with regards evidence and witnesses see my post above.

Any suggestions of taking revenge outside the Law, would mean those seeking such action against Mr. Bazi are no better than those who carried out the attacks and cold bloodied murder of the Irish soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
            No matter what it sounds like to you or me, the various international LAWs states that a specific criteria has to be met with regards such cases.

1. Ireland has no Jurisdiction.

2. The US has no jurisdiction.

3. The U.N. has no jurisdiction whatsoever, being an organization not a State.

4. The Hague has no jurisdiction in the case.

For other points with regards evidence and witnesses see my post above.

Any suggestions of taking revenge outside the Law, would mean those seeking such action against Mr. Bazi are no better than those who carried out the attacks and cold bloodied murder of the Irish soldiers.
            Not suggesting action outside the 'LAW' (Which appears to be an ass by the way) Perhaps karma will provide, with a long painful and protracted arse cancer.

Comment

With respect to the families of his victims,what I was alluding to was that McAlevy was convicted (as I recall) of a Civil offence albeit in a military forum.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                With respect to the families of his victims,what I was alluding to was that McAlevy was convicted (as I recall) of a Civil offence albeit in a military forum.
                No such thing as a civil offence. Murder is Murder.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by jack nastyface View Post
                  Not suggesting action outside the 'LAW' (Which appears to be an ass by the way) Perhaps karma will provide, with a long painful and protracted arse cancer.

I never inferred you did suggest acting outside the LAW, however, on various forums, net postings and amongst veterans conversations suggestions have been made from the ludicrous such as when he was in the USA "The Ranger Wing should be sent in to kidnap him and bring him to Ireland for trial / be shot and dumped / disappear etc..etc.. to "Ireland should threaten the USA to get them to hand him over to us."

Yes it is certainly irritating that there is no one all encompassing version of the LAW under which the likes of Mr. Bazi could be brought, regardless of what country he resides in, but again the basis of any such LAW requires:- forensic evidence, witness accounts, conclusive proof that the accused did what he is accused of, all of that evidence is sadly lacking.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

[QUOTE=Connaught Stranger;423356]I never inferred you did suggest acting outside the LAW, however, on various forums, net postings and amongst veterans conversations suggestions have been made from the ludicrous such as when he was in the USA "The Ranger Wing should be sent in to kidnap him and bring him to Ireland for trial / be shot and dumped / disappear etc..etc.. to "Ireland should threaten the USA to get them to hand him over to us."

Yes it is certainly irritating that there is no one all encompassing version of the LAW under which the likes of Mr. Bazi could be brought, regardless of what country he resides in, but again the basis of any such LAW requires:- forensic evidence, witness accounts, conclusive proof that the accused did what he is accused of, all of that evidence is sadly lacking.

Genuine question. Why could he not have been handed over to the international court in the Hague. Give them whatever evidence there is against him?

Comment

• Lebanon isn't a State party to the Rome Statute

Arguably the ICC couldn't hear the case either

Comment

• On the surface, the only bad thing that is going to happen is his deportation from the USA. The only thing to reflect on is that there are enough scumbags walking around the island of Ireland who have got away with murder as well due to the lack of evidence that would stand up in court - and some of them are doubtless elected representatives North and South of the border...
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by jack nastyface View Post

Genuine question. Why could he not have been handed over to the international court in the Hague. Give them whatever evidence there is against him?
                          The Hague has no legal role in the matter.

What evidence? Any defense lawyer worth his salt would get the case thrown out because apart from hearsay, no physical / forensic evidence exists that can put Mr. Bazi (a) at the scene of the killing of the two soldiers (might not even be at the place where the bodies were found.) (b) Can prove Mr. Bazi pulled the trigger or gave orders to pull the trigger.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

• Lebanese suspect stands trial for murder of Irish peacekeepers

Comment

• Lebanon man denies links to 1980 Irish peacekeepers killings

BEIRUT: The main suspect in the 1980 killings of two United Nations peacekeepers in southern Lebanon denied his involvement in the murders Wednesday before Beirut’s Military Tribunal.

Lebanese national Mahmoud Bazzi, 72, is on trial for allegedly kidnapping and murdering two Irish peacekeepers, Thomas Barrett and Derek Smallhorne, on April 18, 1980 in the Bint Jbeil district village of Tiri.

He was arrested upon his arrival to Beirut after the United States deported him to Lebanon in January 2015. It was discovered he had entered the United States on a fake passport in 1994.

When asked if he had any statement to make at the beginning of the hearing, Bazzi told the court he wasn’t involved in the killings.

“I swear to God I haven’t done anything or killed anyone, I’m too much of a religious man,” he told Military Prosecutor Khalil Ibrahim.

Bazzi is also accused of working for the South Lebanon Army, an Israeli-backed mostly-Christian militia that was dissolved in 2000 when Israel withdrew from southern Lebanon.

He has been accused of killing the two soldiers after pulling them from their patrol in south Lebanon to avenge the death of his brother at the hands of UNIFIL troops 10 days earlier.

A third Irish soldier, John O’Mahony, was wounded during the 1980 incident. He returned to Lebanon last November to provide testimony in the case.

"I have no relationship with the Israelis and I was never an official in the SLA. I won't deny that I've used a fake passport to get into the U.S. via Israel, but it was simply to follow my wife and children after my visa application got rejected," Bazzi told the court Wednesday.

"At the time, everyone living in south Lebanon used to travel [outside the country] via Israel," he added.

Sobhi Bazzi, a relative from the suspect's village, told the court that he knew Mahmoud was an SLA officer, but denied knowing who was behind the killings.

"Bazzi was an inhabitant of my village, he is married to four or five women, and he used to be a security official for the SLA," the witness told the military prosecutor when asked what he knew about the defendant.

When asked if Bazzi killed the peacekeepers to avenge his brother's death, he responded: "All of I've seen and known is from other people. It might have been Mahmoud [who killed the peacekeepers], or someone else..."

"I once saw him firing two shots in the air when Irish peacekeepers were passing by our village in a convoy, but I was never told that he later kidnapped or killed them. Mahmoud Bazzi has never done anything in his life," he added.

The trial, which began on June 2015, was adjourned to Nov. 9 following the public prosecutor's request to gather more evidence in the case.

Comment

• Witness retracts testimony over Irish peacekeeper killings

Digital newsstand featuring 7000+ of the world’s most popular newspapers & magazines. Enjoy unlimited reading on up to 5 devices with 7-day free trial.

Comment

Working...
                                X