This day 5 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This day 5 years ago

About this time 5 years ago 4 men were on their way to their final mission.

We all know the results ......
    but the Government have still failed to respond to the outcomes that were highlighted on that fateful evening!

My deepest sympathies are still extended to these families and one who has particular significance to me !

I am still deeply troubled by what I personally know about the operational proceedures on the evening !

I still believe that these men died needlessly ....and the the still serving minister has undermined their sacrifice.

Removing the SAR mission from the AC did not lesson the hazards the members have to face as they still operate the same equipment.

Remember thes men and their families especially those who never knew their fathers.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Well said hptmurphy

Comment

My thoughts are with all the familys, especially the Mooney's, I've played soccer for many years on the same team as Paddy, his cousins and nephews.

Its a disgrace, the minister gave a lot of hollow promises at the time that will never come to fruition, he's not a very welcome member of my local community.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

It is heartening to see many of the reccomendations made by the accident inquiry are being implemented in the new helicopters. But it remains that the Crew should never have been put in that situation in the first place,and once it happened,a proper suitable aircraft,with proper procedures,should have been introduced immediately,not the half hearted half response that we see today.

I hope that the brave crew of D248 will do for air corps flight safety what the sinking of titanic did for maritime safety. Let their deaths not be in vein.
        The SAR motto "Go Mardeas Beo" has special significance in the sad tale of the Crew of D248.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

May they rest in peace.

There deaths were not in vain, they are the ethos of "Go Mardeas Beo".

Hopefully, the Government & the AC generally will act to ensure that nothing like this every happens again.

Comment

It is happening again with the aircorps loosing pilots flying heaps of shit like the Rheims Rockets and antiques like Allouettes.

The whole fleet is a disaster waiting to happen...the dauphins should be refurbished and used as light utility helos...remove all tyhe surplus nav crap and make them viable. We need helos and we need the right types.

Imagine the savings if the Gulfstream etc were removed from the inventory and some proper military equipment was bought 90% of the aircraft available to the AC are adapted civilian aircraft which were never intended for the roles the AC use them for.

The PC9 purchase is a joke. We could have had 10 fully zero timed Alpha jets five years ago for peanuts and could today be transitioning onto the likes of the Mirage 2000 if the government had the foresight to buy surplus rather than buying top of the range boys toys.

Even the guys flying tyhe PC9s are not even jet rated any more and would have to upgrade to fly the most basic of jets.
            If we are legally bound to protect our so called neutrality then we have failed........there are warbird operators world wide who have more airpower than our paltry aircorps.

the memory of all deceased aircrew has been sold out by successive governments who want to be transporeted on junkets by designer bis jets.

the AC was supposed to be the airborne defence of the stat not a glorified air taxi service,

the politicians can hang there heads in shame for undermining the role of the officers and men of the air corps.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
            X