Army Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UniSol View Post
    Yeah some of them we re in pretty good condition when they were boarded. Its a testemant to the LSB workshops looking after them when they were in service. Ive noticed a few army blue GT's around the place in private hands.
    How do you know they were army Blue? That Kwak was only available in 2 Colours. Blue or Red. Early garda ones were blue. Later ones were painted white, over the blue with what resembled emulsion..
    Loads of couriers uses them too. It was one of the few proper bikes with a useful luggage rack still fitted.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      How do you know they were army Blue? That Kwak was only available in 2 Colours. Blue or Red. Early garda ones were blue. Later ones were painted white, over the blue with what resembled emulsion..
      Loads of couriers uses them too. It was one of the few proper bikes with a useful luggage rack still fitted.
      Blue GT550`s with the white fairings and aluminium radio holders in and around a number of barracks. Yeah id say they were army bikes

Comment

• Just sayin, the Garda Bikes had the same "cbx" fairings.
        The best way to spot the difference is.... The army bikes are still in running order!

Comment

• Fair point

Comment

• my mate at work just bought one of these Harley Davidsons on the surplus market for £1265:

bargain.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Nice Pics of the Honda XR250 with long range tanks

RGJ
              But I know what you mean , the Harley 350 would not jump like that
              I have both , and the Honda is in it's element there

Comment

• Apologies for the self indulgence,but doesn't it sound sweet?

Comment

• Well done to the Brave Heroic men and women of 2 Cav Sqn who ventured out last week on a most important mission to protect the president of this State and risk Holiday dublin traffic to ensure she made it to the parade on time.

We salute the brave Men and Women as they set out on their shiny state of the art machines.

Aras An Uachtarain St. Patricks Day 2011 by Irish Defence Forces, on Flickr

Last edited by Goldie fish; 21 March 2011, 23:04.

Comment

• Thats some set of strides he's wearing!
                    But there's no danger
                    It's a professional career
                    Though it could be arranged
                    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                    If you're out of luck you're out of work
                    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Well done to the Brave Heroic men and women of 2 Cav Sqn who ventured out last week on a most important mission to protect the president of this State and risk Holiday dublin traffic to ensure she made it to the parade on time.

We salute the brave Men and Women as they set out on their shiny state of the art machines.

oh right, so this must be the bravery Hedgie talks about?

however i think those Irish DF bikes and their riders look excellent.

very impressive.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 March 2011, 00:18.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• The First Field Sigs in Collins Barracks Cork had Triumph TRW mk3 when I was with them back in the 70s and they were replaced by Sanglass. At the time I was the only one riding them as most of the other guys who did the training went on to four wheeled stuff. I have been a long time gone from the Army but I still consider myself an Irish soldier.
                        I took my Dragstar classic 650 over the Old Kenmare Road from Gallways Bridge to Kenmare and although it was a silly thing to do and the bike was definitely not suited to the terrain, I still managed it. Good old army training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Watchdog View Post
                          Sanglas (Spanish for piece of shit) were bikes purchased by some genius despite the fact they did not start in the wet, had a tendancy to go on fire while in use and for bits to fall off. I once drove from the Brugha to Cork with the kick-start pedal (not sure what the correct term is) in my pocket. But their best trick was when you had to use the kick-start a few times (the electric start never worked) was to build up such pressure on the kick-start pedal that you pushed it down hard the recoil would send you airborne.
                          I rode the Sanglass for a few years with sigs in Cork. The first edition we got was without electric start and the next issue was with starter. It took a good kick to start and on occasion could catch you with the backlash. They were not an ideal army bike but once the initial problems with back axel, electric start and wind shield were overcome they were not to bad. At least I enjoyed them. The Triumph's would practically climb a wall for you in full battle dress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudolf Neff View Post
                            I took my Dragstar classic 650 over the Old Kenmare Road from
                            Gallways Bridge to Kenmare and although it was a silly thing to do and the bike was definitely not suited to the terrain, I still managed it. Good old army training.

Rudolf,

Gallways Bridge, Good old army training !........
                            I would have been more impressed if you had started at Muckross House and hauled your bike up the mountain- but still, good going.

Goldie- please do not try this-this is serious bike stuff- and Kerry Mountain Rescue have enough to do already. Plus, they now have some big eagles back on the mountain that are partial to little lambs.
                            Last edited by timhorgan; 10 May 2011, 04:17.

Comment

• Some serious overseas service done by a few of those bods, judging by the collection
                              of tin here...

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              oh right, so this must be the bravery Hedgie talks about?
                              Oh, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ???

You have invited Hedgie to go off on one about the "partyhats" again !!!
                              Last edited by Truck Driver; 10 May 2011, 04:25.
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                                Rudolf,

Gallways Bridge, Good old army training !........
                                I would have been more impressed if you had started at Muckross House and hauled your bike up the mountain- but still, good going.

Goldie- please do not try this-this is serious bike stuff- and Kerry Mountain Rescue have enough to do already. Plus, they now have some big eagles back on the mountain that are partial to little lambs.
                                Tim, I will have to aquire an offroad bike to try going straight up the mountain, LOL.

Goldie, I will try not to place any more demand on the rescue services. As for the eagles, I am little but at 61 years of age I think I would qualify as Old Mutton rather than lamb. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X