Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lebanon Triple Murderer to stay in prison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebanon Triple Murderer to stay in prison.

I was pleased to read in the Star earlier that Michael McAleavey,the former soldier who shot and killed his comrades while on a UNIFIL Checkpoint in the Lebanon,on 27/10/82 has been refused early release. The Parole Board decided he should continue to serve his sentence,and this was approved by the Junior Minister for Justice, Willie O Dea. Interestingly,the current minister for justice was on the prosecution team during the trial,and was because of this prevented from reviewing the case.

Originally he was sentenced to Penal servitude for life,but this was commuted to Life imprisonment.

He is one of irelands longest serving prisoners at this stage. His trial was one of the longest murder trials in Irish history,I remember it going over 60 days,not sure how far exactly.

It was also a Military Court Martial,as the murders were carried out under military jurisdiction.

The Comrades he murdered were:
    843152 Pte Peter Burke

841689 Cpl Gregory Morrow

843886 Pte Thomas Murphy

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

There is a detailed account of the incident in the book Irishbatt
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

This is one of those people that deserves to be fried....
      "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

8*****9 - fry that son of a bitch and I have never printed my number before

MOD: Edited your army number out. If, on reflection,you wish to re enter, fire away.

Comment

What's "Penal Servitude" in Ireland? I take it it's not like Leavenworth, where they can still make you spend your time turning big rocks into little rocks?

NTM
          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Hi Cal
            Over here, with exceptions such as McAleavy and Malcolm Mc Arthur, life does not mean life. If McA had topped a single civvie, he'd be out after 8 or 9, on license. It takes grievous acts such as McA's multiple murders to compel the judges to bang offenders up for a genuine life sentence. Generally, in Ireland, any offender who keeps a clean sheet will get out early. There's no equivalent of the "three strikes and you're out" over here.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Darksaga
              Do you know why he shot them?

They made fun of his northern accent.

Rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksaga
                no, its true, my father knew one of the men. They were at a checkpoint havin a laugh with him and they took it too far. Rumor has it he is psycho.
                The checkpoint commander was also from Northern Ireland. Presumably he wouldn't have been taking the piss out of a northern accent.
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                My favourite moment was when the
                Originally posted by hedgehog
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Sorry mate your wrong

Read the book called " The Sherrif" by Gerry O Carrol

he gives an interesting account and he was the Copper that went out to arrest him

but you are right, he was and still is a Psycho
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Rot behind those walls you bastard.

Incidently, wasn't there an overly sympathetic write up about him in some newspaper recently? I think it might have even surfaced here before, though a search couldn't locate it for me. (See Joshua, I took time out to look).
                    Meh.

Comment

I have the reports from his trial to hand here, and to be fair Darksaga, McAleavy did deny it, adamantly throughout his trial. He tried to blame local militia, and claimed he had preteded to be dead himself.

As for the rest, your speculation is ill informed and unhelpful to all concerned. Please desist from your tabloid ramblings in future unless you have FACTS to back them up. I suggest you read "Blue Helmets", in which there is an interview with McAleavy.

Comment

The world is flat.....I know it's true because my daddy said so and I don't care what the rest of you say!!!

Comment

good man.
                          Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

There is a good account of the whole McAlevey Lebanon incident in this book

Comment

There is an account of these murders which took place at Tibnin Bridge in a book called Lifers by Barry Cummins. It is a good read and would recommend it

Comment

Working...
                              X