A thought for all reservists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought for all reservists...

Would you consider it a good idea to hold an annual family day for the family,spouses or partners of members of the RDF?
    Think about it for a while,you give up free time that you could be spending with them to endulge in your hobby of serving the state, and what do they get in return(apart from the peace and quiet of not having you about?)
    I was thinking a day like Paddys day,after the Parade,when most of us are heading for the pub anyway, would it be nice to have some sort of display laid on, to show these people,without whose cooperation the organisation could not function, a chance to see what you do when training,where you go,and who you are with?
    The Air Corps and Naval service already do this,and it also has the additional benifit of acting as an open day for potential recruits.
    Any Thoughts?
    Yes
    64.29%
    No. I dont want them knowing what I do,they might decide to join.
    21.43%
    Doesn't bother me either way.
    14.29%

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I can see it now goldie, Words like ' Good God do you lot drink like this all the time' or how many pints is that you had':D Seriously, I for one believe that the RDF should be doing something along the lines that you have suggested Maybe not Paddys day due to the mayhem that goes with it everywhere packed ect, But on some other day in the year and make it a national event perhaps?
    it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
    Winston churchill

Comment

Canada has a Reserve Forces day where all reservists are encouraged to turn up at their civilian jobs in appropriate uniform. (Dress uniform if in an office, fatigues or coveralls if blue-collar.. and so on)

I always thought that would be a good idea.

NTM
      Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker
        Canada has a Reserve Forces day where all reservists are encouraged to turn up at their civilian jobs in appropriate uniform. (Dress uniform if in an office, fatigues or coveralls if blue-collar.. and so on)

I always thought that would be a good idea.

NTM
        From my experiences of changing into my uniform in school, and going straight from school to parade, that could end up quite interestingly

(The Saudi Arabian students particularly seem to love the sight of me in uniform. A kind of reverant silence descends)

Comment

Not until the day that all reservists are appropriately buff and warlike.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The TA have something similer, I never go to it.

Comment

family day

Over here, many units do an annual "family day" Usually have all the kit, weapons, vehicles laid out, video's, etc. We always plan a jump and let them crawl over the heli's before the jump. There is usually a picnic or BBQ and the usual cake and lemonade busniess. It seems to go over well. I got to take my civilian boss on a simialr sort of thing and he was most impressed by the weight of equipment,what all we do and left with a much greater appreciation of what I do "in my other job" and why I need so much time off work. I don't see how it can't help relations with family and work.

Comment

In the days when my unit had a mess, they used to have BBQ and things like that for the families.

Comment

Do units not do this sort of thing at the Unit Annual Mass (for those units who
                  hold those occasions)?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                    In the days when my unit had a mess, they used to have BBQ and things like that for the families.
                    Dev eh...that wasnt a mess......shhhh.

Comment

Likewise we do the same in NJ. Actually we had one in August and several thousand people came. A few things I'd like to also point out - alcohol - bad idea. It's a family day - you don't want car loads of kids being driven by drunk parents (and no most people don't have enough sense). Don't forget stuff for the kids to do - bouncy castles etc.

The question is how are you going to fund it? It's a great idea but it will be tough to organize.
                      There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Haloween Fancy Dress Party

A unit in the eastern brigade is having a haloween party this year, which is allowing family and friends to attend.

Comment

Some sub-units do this on an informal basis i.e. NCO's getting together with wives/husbands/significant others for summer bar-b-q's etc. As regards doing something formal I will quote my platoon sergeant "I come here to get away from the wife and kids"

Comment

A company out of the *Bn is organising that party.
                            As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

Im sorry but I have to disagree, the idea of setting up a boucing castle with loads of screaming kiddies in McKee Barracks and all the PDF lads having a good auld snigger makes me cringe. I'd rather give the time and energy to training personally...

Comment

Working...
                              X