thinking of a transfer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You think that too?:confused:

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

HPT: No, I'm a part timer, location to remain undisclosed in case authorities get serious about the board.

And youre right about the shoulder flash, unless it was a divisional badge on the wrong side? Wouldn't be the first time especially with the large amount of recruits were getting
      No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
      No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Thanks Goldie nice piccy of the harbour hotel glad to report no changes ..... my first home from home.....Yankee sierra you're looking good
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I was "Neptune" in a previous life, some unknown quantum forces have prevented me from logging back in with that ID.

Comment

fair enough.....still no excuse for improperly worn uniforms .
            Actually I think the flash should be done away with altogether.

I have never worn an FCA flash as I believe .....and the rest of my unit.... that the unit flash is enough to declare our status....the FCA flash was a label enforced on the organisation to enforce some sort of segregation.......The DPM uniform is on issue to every body but i think the unit identity should be displayed on the bottom of the rank markings as do the brits ...it gets a bit confusing with the similarity in headress.....except for the cav...although few units PDF wear the red badge behind their cap badge making impossible to seperate one from the other .

It might sound trivial but some people are very proud of their unit identity and should be given a means to display their unit identity....what about it subdued unit number on rank markings .I'm sure they could be made up privately.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

the flashes are a very hot topic at the moment, we had a very senior officer sent home from a conference in the base because he wasn't wearing them, this was his third public outing like this and he was told after each of the previous two outings to put them up by the staff officer i/c NSR. So three strikes and your out, and out he went, four hour drive from dublin to the base to be sent home. The NSR never had unit flashes so they are not an option to replace them.

I agree unit flashes would suffice for the FCA though, thats if there are any left after the re-org.

If the army were serious they would subsume the FCA into their own battalions, leaving them in the position where they required the reserve to mount a large operation like shannon. For instance (my knowledge of army battalion structure is poor but) i believe the 12th infantry to be comprised of 5 companys, HQ ABC and D, why not make 50% of C and D coys reserve? or 15% of each coy reserve. I know there is a huge issue with loyalty towards units with long histories but there is no getting away from it.

The NS are serious as a heart attack about training 'their' NSR ratings now, no more shortcuts, where a course is done it's the same course as the PDF or no course at all, full stop. They appear willing to modularise some courses for weekend training and thats going to get very interesting when we get around to the heavy gunnery, and the holy grail, watchkeeping for our officers ( I'll believe that when it happens).

Comment

any answers lads????will i be allowed in the engins room or do i have to be a deck ape?
                Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

At present the NS has no requirment for anything other than Deck crew from the NSR. This is where most of their shortages are.
                  Dont expect any different cos you have half a ticket..

Comment

i thought the defence forces were big into recognising and utilising the skills of the reserve.......................
                    Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

You will be allowed in the Engine room and thats for definite, with people skilled like yourself the cadre officer will have a word with the MEO on board and let him know you are going to be aboard for a patrol.

They will probably spend a day or so showing you around, get you to stand a couple of watches with the mech's and then you will probably shadow an ERA for the rest of the patrol.

You WILL get oily.

Comment

trust me pal....ive plenty oily before and i loves it!!!!!!just keep me away from the atlas plant.drives me nuts

Comment

i also have the PDF detachment commanders course done for the new L70 that will be retrofitted to the PVs soon...and thats official...check out ROs for the combat support college DFTC

Comment

Hmm..I dont mean to be cynical all the time,but I was recently informed Officially(not informally) that the Naval service has no requirement for anything other than seamans branch at the moment. No shortages in Mech branch,no requirement for NSR Mechs...check out the uniforms..all you will see is crossed anchors.I am pretty sure HPT will know more about this also,but the only similarity between the land Bofors and the Naval ones are the Barrels. The amount of time they are in use would restrict the time you would be spending on them in any case. Seaman Gunner is proficient on all naval weapons,not just the 40...so unless they are doing a 20mm course down in cobh also...

Dont hold out much hope in any case.. I heard unofficially that the new head honcho in Cork NSR is "reluctant" to accept transfers from the green beret. All 6 others who were intending to transfer the same time as me have fallen by the wayside,and not transferred. The only former infantryman there at the mo is former 21bn,who is a TDO in CIT,but who had to enter as an O/sea(2 star). But he transferred under the Old OC.

If you succeed be sure to let me know..

Comment

I have it from the very highest level, in fact, I was directed to inform Boforgunner that should his transfer be successfull, his skills will be utilised in the engine room.

What goldie says is correct, the other divisions have been removed from the NSR but don't think for a second that if you have a skill they won't use it.

No shortage of mech's? I doubt it, but there definitely is a massive shortage of ERA's which is more like bofor's skill set.
                              The fastest route to PO in the INS apart from direct entry is as an ERA, there have been vacancies for years.

(ERA = Engine Room Artificer = Diesel fitter/mechanic/wizard)

Comment

and what the hell were you doing on the board at 4am? you need a role model

Comment

Working...
                                X