thinking of a transfer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lefty
    I saw them before. We were training on the range and the boys from the slua came along (wasnt much of them), anyway we had to move off elsewhere to train and we could see and hear them firing for what seemed the rest of the day. Seemed to be firing quite a lot for so few people.
    No, you thought you saw only a few there, but I'm sure that if you check their range records, there were a lot more "there" than you thought

Comment

Do the Slua take part in rifle competitions?
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL
        Do the Slua take part in rifle competitions?
        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoker
          boforgunner,if you have or hope to have, a 1st or even a 2nd class certificate as a Marine Engineer , why don't you apply for a commission as a Direct entry?. By the way , how do you plan to get the Steam qualifing time? there's not many steamers left.
          A steaming certificate means a person is qualified to steer a ship . Nothing to do with the propulsion system of a ship.
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by bulldemboots!
            Yes.

I know its a stupid question but do they wear DPM's for the shoot or what?

I just can't imagine them showing up on the range in their navy blues.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL
              I know its a stupid question but do they wear DPM's for the shoot or what?

I just can't imagine them showing up on the range in their navy blues.
              We do take part in rifle competitions and No.5 coy swept the board this weekend. A team is then assembled for the all army. Shooting is obviously not the slua's main concern so the teams tend not to be all that strong, although we do have a few extremely good shots. Its like asking an FCA soldier to do a damage control test.
              Turning up on the range in our navy blues is exactly what we do!
              We get issued our own combats for a reason and they are a very good dress. Why would we wear DPM's? its not our uniform.
              I vaguely remember something about the army trying to get the navy to wear DPM's on the range but I dont think this worked. Not quite sure on the specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
                No, you thought you saw only a few there, but I'm sure that if you check their range records, there were a lot more "there" than you thought
                bullsh*t
                Last edited by ELVIS; 18 April 2005, 00:22.

Comment

I vaguely remember something about the army trying to get the navy to wear DPM's on the range but I dont think this worked. Not quite sure on the specifics.
                  The NS cadets get issued DPMs when they're up in the Curragh for their initial training phase. Also for NS personnel serving overseas.
                  There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
                  Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

Do navy officers serve overseas?

Comment

Originally posted by Laners
                      A steaming certificate means a person is qualified to steer a ship . Nothing to do with the propulsion system of a ship.

for those who know .......or think they know....a steam endorsment on your eng officer of the watch ticket means that your qualified to operate both motor vessels and vessels with steam turbines and boilers as opposed to a standard ticket which only allowes the bearer to operate plant on motor ships.......

why would any self respecting engineer want to be up on the bridge playin ****in race cars with a bunch of windowlickers whose biggest job is counting fire extinguishers......
                      Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

There is no engineering branch in NSR anymore....only seamen. Although think on patrol they would love to have you there
                        "Join the army....see the world....meet interesting people....then kill them!"
                        "Join the navy....see the world....meet interesting people....get rotten crotch!"

Comment

There is no engineering branch in NSR anymore....only seamen. Although think on patrol they would love to have you there
                          Not strictly true. In theory only division now is executive branch and while this is so for all incoming recruits, many current and longer serving members have qualifications in other branchs, in particular comms and mechs. Flashes are still worn and tech pay is still gratefully accepted!
                          There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
                          Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

Switching to the slua

Can anyone tell me if there is a process by which you can transfer from the FCA to the slua? In other words do I retain my rank or pay scale or do i have to leave the fca and start all over again in the slua??

P.s. I know they are now called "the irish naval reserve" and "the reserve defence forces" its just clearer this way.

Comment

I think it has been done before. Try the search function.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie , thats a terrible thing to say,(Boomer could be looking)

There's a bit in here:http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...ead.php?t=7504

Comment

Working...
                                X