This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some ponderings and musings...

Isn't it strange how the crusty, anti-military, anti-USA, anti-whatever types love to dress up in military gear. Is there some ironic message that I'm missing???

Do Officers in the Irish Defence Forces have to buy all of their own uniforms or just the dress types. Do they have to buy their own DPM's or are they issued by the unit? If they have to buy them, aren't these items theirs to dispose of how they see fit?

If Defence Forces supply section did offer to sell extra equipment to soldiers, regular and FCA, I reckon they could return a small fortune to the Govt. But it would put FM out of business !!!

Later.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Do Officers in the Irish Defence Forces have to buy all of their own uniforms or just the dress types.
      Only Service Dress No 1 and Mess Dress

Comment

Here's an answer to Goldie's question, it also seems to be an "any person" power - subsection 4- so wannabe PAs - get out there and start rounding up those miscreants.

DEFENCE ACT, 1954

260.—(1) In this section, the expression "military property" means any property being—

( a ) any arms, ammunition (including bombs, grenades or similar missiles), equipment, instruments or clothing issued for the use of members of the Defence Forces, or
        ( b ) any military decoration of a member of the Defence Forces, or
        ( c ) any furniture, bedding, blankets, sheets, utensils or stores in military charge, or
        ( d ) any provisions or forage issued for the use of a member of the Defence Forces or his horse, or
        ( e ) any horse or vehicle employed in the service of the Defence Forces.
        (2) ( a ) If any person—

(i) buys, exchanges, takes in pawn, obtains or receives from any person, on any pretence whatsoever, any military property, or
        (ii) solicits or entices any person to sell, exchange, pawn or give away any military property, or
        (iii) assists or acts for any person in selling, exchanging, pawning or making away with any military property,
        such person shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds together with treble the value of any military property of which he has become possessed by means of the offence or, at the discretion, of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
        ( b ) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section it shall be a good defence to prove that—
        (i) at the time he did the act alleged in the charge, he was unaware that the property in respect of which the charge was made was in fact military property, or
        (ii) the said property was sold by order or with the consent of the Minister or some competent military authority, or
        (iii) the said property was the personal property of a person who had ceased to be a member of the Defence Forces or of the legal personal representatives of a deceased member of the Defence Forces.
        (3) Where any military property is found in the possession or keeping of any person, such person may be brought or summoned before a Justice of the District Court, and if such Justice has reasonable ground to believe that the military property so found was stolen, or was bought, exchanged, taken in pawn, obtained or received in contravention of this section, then, if such person does not satisfy such Justice that he came by the military property so found lawfully and without any contravention of this Act, he shall be liable on summary conviction to the same penalties as are specified in subsection (2) of this section in the case of a contravention of that subsection.

(4) A person found committing an offence under this section may be arrested without warrant, and brought, together with the military property which is the subject of the offence, before a Justice of the District Court, and any person to whom any such property is offered to be sold, pawned or delivered, who has reasonable cause to suppose that the same is offered in contravention of this section, may arrest without warrant the person offering such military property and deliver him and such military property into the custody of a member of the Garda Síochána to be dealt with according to law.

(5) A Justice of the District Court, if satisfied on oath that there is reasonable cause to suspect that any person has in his possession or on his premises any military property on or with respect to which any offence in this section mentioned has been committed, may grant a warrant in search for such military property as in the case of stolen goods and any military property found on such search shall be seized by the person charged with the execution of such warrant, who shall bring the person in whose possession the same is found before some Justice of the District Court to be dealt with according to law.

(6) For the purposes of this section, military property shall be deemed to be in the possession or keeping of a person if he knowingly has it in the actual possession or keeping of any other person or in any house, building, lodging, apartment, field or place, open or enclosed, whether occupied by himself or not, and whether the same is so had for his own use or benefit or for the use or benefit of another.

Comment

just to **** ye all up i regularly wear the issue fleece and dpm trousers on bike trips.......and any ****witt that says a word will be on the recieving end of a 65mm spanner.....get a life lads its only a funny colour uniform!!! if some crusty or builder wants to wear the complete shite they issue us then let him off!!!
          Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

Arrest that man!

Comment

Originally posted by apod
              Nevermind all this b.s,listen to this one .Paddies night in a bar in limerick city centre there was an individual,dressed in number one uniform,whites and all,passing himself off as pdf.This muppet was telling stories of his experiences in the leb and kosovo in an attempt to impress a bunch of girls.What said muppet didnt know was that he was surrounded by agroup of lads whom had only returned from kfor five months previous.Said lads gave him enough rope to hang himself and then embarrassed the f**k out of him by asking about places that he had never been.
              It's because of incidents like this that alot of us have a poor opinion of the rdf.

moral of the story;dont dare claim to have served when you havent,dont do it on front of pdf and dont wear the uniform of the state when on the piss!

p.s : worst of all the individual was a p.a! MUPPET!!!!!!!
              HA! How the tables have turned Goldie! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Sounds like some houligan from the 14th if you ask me!!

Comment

Originally posted by super slug
                HA! How the tables have turned Goldie! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Sounds like some houligan from the 14th if you ask me!!
                Try re-reading Apod's post.... he said it was a P.A
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Reservist obsession

Is this tendency to got overly excited about about uniforms purely a reservist thing? I don't remember ever hearing a pdf member comment on people wearing combat jackets on sites or wherever. Perhaps because quite a few of us wore those surplus Israeli jackets bought in the Leb we were desperate criminals ourselves, or maybe we had better things to do with our time.

Comment

We are only talking about the new stuff not the old green kit.

Comment

Surely the old green kit, in it's time, was as much the uniform of the state as DPM is now, and it's widespread misuse had no adverse consequences either to the reputation of the DF or the security of the country. Maybe those who are really concerned should carry out citizen's arrests in pubs, clubs and building sites. The subsequent court cases will make great reading. In fact since there's never been a proper Irish crimebusting superhero, apart from Miss Flanagan in the Ireland's Own, I sense an opportuniy here. A concerned citizen who enforces DF dress regulations throughout the universe? To uniformity and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by moonstomper
                        Is this tendency to got overly excited about about uniforms purely a reservist thing? I don't remember ever hearing a pdf member comment on people wearing combat jackets on sites or wherever. Perhaps because quite a few of us wore those surplus Israeli jackets bought in the Leb we were desperate criminals ourselves, or maybe we had better things to do with our time.
                        It could be because the PDF generally have good access to clothing stores and get the kit they need, where as the RDF have to beg/borrow/steal.

Comment

Moonstomper for President !!!
                          No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Sorry for starting a debate about this, but no-one here answered the question I was looking for in the first place :

My question is, in practise, have people been placed under citizen arrest by others in the past for wearing the uniform when not a memeber of the RDF/PDF or out of training/working hours.

That's all I wanted to know, has anyone ever been placed under citizen arrest in the past...

Whatever about respect for the Irish Army, that is a different topic altogether.

Last edited by Sharp_Shooter; 24 March 2005, 21:10.
                            "The artillery was my strongest tool. Often it was my only reserve .... I repeatedly said it was more a matter of the infantry supporting the artillery than the artillery supporting the infantry.... I wish I knew the countless times that positions were taken or held due solely to TOT's ...."

Major General R. 0. Barton

Comment

Don't know............

HEY ! Wasn't it you who was going on about the scruff ball going around Newbridge
                              wearing DPM?

Simple answer... drop into DFTC MP Coy up in the Curragh Camp and ask them.
                              They'll get the Gardai on the case, and c'est ca...
                              Last edited by Truck Driver; 24 March 2005, 22:20.
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

To be placed under citizens arrest,you need to have been observed commiting a felony. So far we are trying to establish if a person wearing such garment is commiting a felony? The evidence says no,and I do not know of any case of wrongful arrest in the court by an aggreived dpm smock wearer..

So I'll say no(unless proved otherwise)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X